1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

who knows about I iLok?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by ping-ping-clicka, Nov 24, 2020.

1. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I'm excited in a few day 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, or so maybe, I can afford to purchase the Neural DSP Nolly plugin, every thing that I read and heard says better than anything prior to it's release. Ola Englund ,Rabea Massaad and many other player are singing it's praise , but ???? but it requires iLok.
    anyone know about iLok?

XXXX  GIMME  sm.jpg

2. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

They're a nuisance, but relatively easy to work with. Reading the Website, it sounds like you won't need a physical iLok. If that's the case, then you need to setup an account with iLok, and have an Internet connection when using the plugin so that it can check that you're registered on the iLok Website. When you buy the Neural plugin, they should issue you an iLok license, which is stored on the iLok Website. The Empirical Labs Arousor, which a forum member raved over, and indeed is an extremely good compressor, was the first plugin I've used in ages that required a physical iLok device installed in a USB port whenever the Arousor is, err, aroused.

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

It is just a thumb drive-like USB key to allow you to use software that requires a "key" password.

4. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I believe the original idea was to prevent software piracy. At one time it was required for Logic, then not. Then Protools came with one when I bought it in 2012. I don’t know about now.

5. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

thanks said ping-ping , ohhh?
    Lets see how it goes. To get what it does is worth a cha-cha-cha chance. it's only money and the possibility of madness from internet frustration? right? well, thanks guys.

6. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

I'm a recording engineer/producer. Since COVID I commute between work and home. The company outfitted me with home software and we just use the same software licenses for both locations. I commute my DAW, plug-ins and all the other software, on three USB drives, including an iLok. That's licenses for the DAW software, video editing software, mastering software, and all the plug-in bundles, and there are several. I feel certain I could consolidate to two USB drives but when I bugged out I didn't have time to sort out that poop and I haven't messed with it since. These days I just throw them in a ziplock bag and carry 'em back and forth between home and the studio. No big deal.

Bob

getbent likes this.
  7. mindlobster

mindlobster Tele-Afflicted

It works fine these days as an online way to manage a license and move it between computers if needed.

8. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Most ilok authorizations are now cloud based. Convenient but you do need a relatively stable internet connection. A physical ilok is around 50 bucks give or take ... https://www.ilok.com/#!buy
    I use UA plugins as well as their daw (Luna) which requires an ilok license. I do have a physical dongle but I never use it as 1) My rec rig stays at home and 2) my internet is stable and reliable.

getbent likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.