Who is your favorite slide Guitarist?

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
I HEARD A PLAYER ONCE , MAN ... he was a blazin' hell, he played all those great songs and added all kinds of embellishments. A fantastic technician, man he was tearin' it up, flashy tap dancer, Top Hat and a Tux all glossy and dressed to impress.
And all that I remember was thinking this is a guy that jams it down a throat, not because it feels good , he just like to make you gag. He's kinna a short guy with a big hat. Now theirs nothing wrong with being short or wide or skinny, or wearing big hats don't get me wrong but some guys aren't happy being who they are and got something to prove, always got something to prove.

bholder

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
I HEARD A PLAYER ONCE , MAN ... he was a blazin' hell, he played all those great songs and added all kinds of embellishments. A fantastic technician, man he was tearin' it up, flashy tap dancer, Top Hat and a Tux all glossy and dressed to impress.
And all that I remember was thinking this is a guy that jams it down a throat, not because it feels good , he just like to make you gag. He's kinna a short guy with a big hat. Now theirs nothing wrong with being short or wide or skinny, or wearing big hats don't get me wrong but some guys aren't happy being who they are and got something to prove, always got something to prove.
whatever it is you been smokin', I think I'm glad you ain't been sharin'....

bholder

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
Actually not familiar with this guitarist, but any other Weissenborn lap steel fans here? New one, the Solace, from Emerald:

(Hope that's not spammy, I have no association with Emerald other than being a very satisfied customer.)

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
Could I add the late, great Pete Wells (Rose Tattoo) in amongst your shortlist of Aussie slide-erati?
Rose Tattoo were not hugely on my radar but I did certainly appreciate that dirty steely greasy slide that Pete Wells played. And I have played Bad Boy for Love in a cover band, and a bass player i played with many years ago became Rose Tattoo's bass player for a short time

The only time I saw him play was as the Peter Welks Band, they opened for Robert Cray, with John Hiatt and his band at the time (Stolen Moments tour) sandwiched in the middle.. Damn good night!

DOC DYA

Tele-Meister
Elmore James, Johnny Winter, David Lindley, Ry Cooder, Duane Allman, Sonny Landreth for sure... but nobody mentionned Mike Bloomfield...:cry:

darkwaters

Friend of Leo's
Got to see Hound Dog Taylor several times, and Elmore James was the reason I picked up a slide in the first place😸

So many great slide players and so many styles.
I'd say Blind Willie Johnson is right at the top~raw and hauntingly surreal.
And let’s not forget Son House.