1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Who is you favorite bass tone

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by El Hefe, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Tele-Monster

Tele-Monster Friend of Leo's

I've also heard this, unfortunately never was able to see them.

2. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Robbie Shakespeare on electric, Eddie Gomez on acoustic.

3. JosephB

JosephB Tele-Afflicted

rick danko...

check out neil young's "Revolution Blues". don't know if it was the honey sliders or what, but that track kicks A*S and danko funks it up.

4. gpar7

gpar7 Tele-Meister

dave chmela of rat race choir had the best live bass tone i ever heard , and many times i did. john wetton , chris squire and tony levin , and of course victor wooten.

5. Jim W

Jim W Friend of Leo's

I forgot to include Ronnie Wood - his bass playing on J Beck's Truth LP is great.

6. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Man, they're all good.... Bass tones that is...
    I can't recall hearing any Bass on records that sounded bad.... ;)

I was more caught up in the playing ..the patterns/notes the individuals were playing more than the tone aspects..

whether tight and simple, locked in with the drummer.. or more lead type walking bass lines...
    like Paul in MMT/Peppers and Jack Bruce... and those mentioned already...it 's all good..

..in the late 60's as a kid.. my back neighbour was a bass player... and I loved the sound of his bass across the yard when he practiced..... you don't often hear bass just by itself booming across the suburb....
    it was a signal for a few of us to go around to the front steps of his house and hang out and listen.. ask stuff.. can you teach us bass?..
    He put us off by saying go off and learn 6 string guitar first.. then get into bass... you need to be a good guitar player before you can master bass,,, we believed him...
    he was playing in bands,,, he must hold secrets..;)

man, I've been trying to learn these 6 strings ever since... thinking one day I might get into bass...

I did start off in school as a drummer...:rolleyes:

7. cellrebral

cellrebral Tele-Meister

How about Flea from the RHCP. I was always amazed at the different tones he could get from his bass, and the skill at which plays

8. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I'd have to go with Mick Karn, Chris Squire and Geddy Lee as my 3 favourites.

9. bb wolf

bb wolf TDPRI Member

Studios one thing. How about live.

10. Martinp

Martinp Tele-Afflicted

What about "Ready" Freddie Washington? he has a very distinctive musical voice - he worked on several of Anita Bakers records, and played on ""Forget Me Nots". He tours with Steely Dan now.
    and uhh Graham Maby, Joe Jackson's Bassist from the 80's - This guy has a great touch

11. eMGee

eMGee Friend of Leo's

Percy Jones!

12. bcat

bcat TDPRI Member

Seems to me we're getting a bit of that in this thread, too. :D

13. Jim W

Jim W Friend of Leo's

I was listening to Jeff Beck's Truth LP the other night - Ronnie Wood had some great bass tones on that record.

14. El Hefe

El Hefe Tele-Meister

Fat Mikes live bass tone is to die for imo, that Dano bass through the Ampeg svt Omg...

[​IMG]

15. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

I do love Phil Lesh's late 60s early 70s tone. I have a Fender MIM classic 70s Jazz bass that I never use and an Epiphone EB-3 (short scale) with flats that I play practically every day and I would sleep with it if it weren't so uncomfortable! ;-)

16. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

Phil Lesh on Live/Dead or Europe '72 for sure. I didn't really care much about the bass at all until I head Live/Dead because I could finally hear everything the bassist was playing and I thought "hey, I could do that!!!". Before that I was quite taken with Chris Squire but figured I would never get the muscle power, speed or dexterity together to cop his playing.

17. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Friend of Leo's

I can't believe that no one has mentioned John Paul Jones. He was the glue that held Led Zepplin's music together. Listen to "Dazed & Confused", "What is & What Should Never Be" & "Ramble On". JPJ was those songs & allowed the rest of the band to soar.

I also love Jack Bruce & Jack Cassidy. I feel pretty old school, but these guys set the standard for everyone who followed.

18. A.B.Negative

A.B.Negative Friend of Leo's

I like a clanky Rickenbacker, especially Chris Squire, Lemmy and Geddy Lee, but my favourite recorded bass at the moment is on Spirit's 12 Dreams of Dr Sardonicus, played by Mark Andes.

19. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

Yeah his early playing with the Fender Jazz was good! I'm not a fan of his Alembic tone or playing though. :neutral: Also I think Jimmy Page liked to mix the bass low at times. :neutral: :neutral:

20. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

Lee Sklar's tone on the Billy Cobham Spectrum album.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.