1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

WHO IS THIS GUY???!!!!!

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Randypttt, Dec 19, 2020.

1. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I hate him too. This guy completely sucks. Look at him playing better than I ever will and looking BORED doing it. Jerk. I totally subbed and added that song to one of my playlists though...just in case I forget how much I hate him. Also another creative way to torture myself with jazz aspirations. Going to go cry over my Real Book now. Such a jerk. Badass fusion monster jazzbo jerk! :cry::oops::rolleyes:

RobRiggs likes this.
  2. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

It's technically incredible, an amazing technical display. But there is absolutely no way I would listen to that for fun.

nojazzhere and john_cribbin like this.
  3. Mission6_OG

Mission6_OG Tele-Meister

You know what I hate about guys like him that play all “bad ass and awesome” and stuff!? That they play all bad ass and awesome while reading a book and also ghost dog whisperer therapist while still getting his doctorate in hydro physic jet propulsion on his spare time. What a creaking loser!

4. RobRiggs

RobRiggs Tele-Meister

I feel like I’ve wasted the last 40 years of my life when I see people who play so well and make it seem effortless :( :rolleyes:

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  5. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Couldn't listen to that for enjoyment. Five minutes and I'd be out the room.

teleman1 likes this.
  6. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I see this guy and say, "That's great - now I don't have to try to do this style - someone is doing it already." Good for me to practice hard, good to admire this player and others like him. But not good to think of virtuoso playing like this as "the best" because of amazing speed and accuracy. Like, who is the fastest singer, ya know?...

I gotta ask myself what I can play that nobody else can - if only to sound like "me", my own personality, slow fingers and all.

Like what they say about business startups - you want to be in a category of one.

Bill Sheehan and El Tele Lobo like this.
  7. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Dayum! Just dayum!:eek::cool:

8. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

Nail on the head here... Alternate picking will open doors for anyone to be this fast. Aside from chicken picking, I don't think there is any other method of picking to be able to play that fast.

I want to eventually learn it as well, but I fingerpick 3 fingerstyle, and I can't bring myself to abandon it. My speed is never going to be that fast, but when you can pick chords and melodies with your fingers, you gain something that alternate pickers simply can't do as well.

Toss up I guess... Last time I tried alternate picking, I hated it... But seeing guys use it so well, like Johnson, Bucket, and that dude, really makes you wonder.

It's nice seeing it done on a T style guitar. I was wondering about those speed guitars as well...

El Tele Lobo and paulblackford like this.
  9. big jimmy

big jimmy Tele-Afflicted

A lot of talent and a lot of notes. Not my thing but I can appreciate the work he has put in to make it look so effortless.

10. Scotty2Hottie

Scotty2Hottie TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

second coming of Pat Martino?

Randypttt likes this.
  11. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

This guy doesn't actually play for Puppy. What he's playing is a solo done by one of Puppys keyboardists that he transcribed! The keyboardist is Corey Henry. This guy is Joshua Meador and he transcribes all these tunes in cool ways.

I hunted around for the Lingus tune with SP and Corey but the solo I heard Corey do was not the same as the one Meador does. Assuming there are other renditions.
    Anyway, I watched him do an instrumental version of Cliffs of Dover on an extraordinary acoustic guitar that looked medieval.

Check him out. I really hate him!

12. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

He has crazy chops.
    I wish he would play music though.
    This thing is unlistenable.

nojazzhere and teleman1 like this.
  13. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

It is not unlistenable, it is exhausting to listen to. ANd ONLY a musician or a stoned out hippie with an 9000 lp collection will really dig this. What is this guys name, Callum, Wadsworth?

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

so Josh Meador seems like a gypsy jazz fusion picker from down under who is astounding

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  15. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

Al Di Meola lite without the musicality. Return to Forever wannabe. Just one man’s opinion.

16. fleezinator

fleezinator Tele-Meister

This popped up in my YouTube feed and I thought it was noteworthy to mention here and I’m glad it already was.

As someone who watches the original Lingus version pretty regularly, I thought it should be linked here as well for those unfamiliar with the original work and more importantly for the proper context from which Josh’s video is derived.

cory’s solo is an instant classic the moment he improvised it (the double handed octave runs, comping over his own solo, etc). I thought Josh’s take is straight fire!

the solo starts @ 4:18 in but do watch the whole thing because greatness.

paulblackford and Randypttt like this.
  17. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I knew that, and while he's really impressive as hell, he's also not very interesting to me. The posting caused me to peruse videos of Skinny Puppy, and I'm very impressed. Never have I seen a flugelhorn played with a wahwah to sound like a guitar solo! They are brilliant!

18. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Not my cup of tea either, but mighty fine alternate picking.

paulblackford likes this.
  19. Randypttt

Thanks man. I looked for this version but found a different one just as exciting imho. Great band no doubt. Josh too haha.

Whoops it is the same one. My bad...what I said above..

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  20. Randypttt

Been watching this lass for a few months. She's definitely my new love. Her dynamics are off the hook. And her choice of materiel is breathtaking.

I should do a separate thread for this magician. Maybe I will.

At least subscribe to her YT channel. Lots of stuff there.

paulblackford and wulfenganck like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.