Who is the nicest celeb guitar player you've met?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3fngrs, Oct 30, 2017.

1. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

I have to say Kim Simmonds, Savoy Brown guitarist. He's been the constant in that group since it's founding. Spoke with him a number of times; about 7 or 8 years ago we B.S.'ed for a good half hour or so. A humble and funny guy.

In fact, I just talked to him a week ago last Friday; he was playing a twin billing along with Andy Powell and Wishbone Ash. Andy, who I also had the pleasure to meet, said Kim was the one that convinced him to do "a little American tour". The current times being much different than they were 40 or so years ago, Andy asked Kim "well, how do you do this thing now?". Kim said "O.K., first you get your band together, then you buy your airline tickets, then when you get to the States you rent a van . . . ". They had me cracking up laughing! :D :lol:

Best Regards,
    George

24 track, DonM, william tele and 2 others like this.
  2. gatorfiend

gatorfiend Tele-Meister

Unknown Hinson.
    Spoke to him after a show. A very nice dude.

3. tbb007

tbb007 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I’ll second Richard Thompson— met him a couple of times when I was working for his label, and he was always engaging and dryly funny.

Robert Cray was also a genuinely class act every time I spent time with him.

Not thought of as a “guitar player” primarily, but hanging with John Hiatt after a show was great fun.

4. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

Did he try to recruit you into the Free Mexican Air Force? ;-)

24 track, El Famoso, stinkey and 2 others like this.
  5. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

All of them.

As a rule, ego is inverse to talent. The really good guys are really good guys.

P.

24 track, Anode100 and Big_Bend like this.
  6. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I'd forgotten about Kim until your post. One time in the nineties when he played a club here in Honolulu, during a set break he came outside the front door with the rest of us instead of going into his dressing room, and we talked for about a half hour. I reminded him of a gig he did in the 80's at a little club in SF where there were only about 50 people. He probably would have rather forgotten that gig, since it probably was a bummer (I haven't used that word in decades) and didn't pay much. But, I was trying to make him understand how much we appreciated his performance that night, 'cause he played with just as much soul, heart, and enthusiasm as if he was in an arena or stadium. I never understand why he's not ranked right up there with Clapton, Beck, Page, Green, Moore, Winter, Allman, and all the other greats that came out of the sixties and seventies. I think Savoy Brown may have existed before Fleetwood Mac even. And Chris Youlden was the only 20yr. old English kid who sounded like a 60yr. old southern Blues singer.

24 track and old wrench like this.
  7. harlycarly

harlycarly Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Redd Volkaert, Bill Kirchen, Kenny Neal & Buddy Miller.

24 track and brookdalebill like this.
  8. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

I met him too. He signed my strat. Didn't get to chat much because there was a long line.

24 track and uriah1 like this.
  9. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

Chris Duarte. Saw him a few years ago at some bar in Wilmington, NC. Bought some merch from him, BS'd a few minutes then when I was showing him some pics of my guitars he told me my SG was evil. Funny as could be. Then when he saw me looking at his rig he walked me through everything. Heck of a nice guy

24 track likes this.
  10. poirier

poirier Tele-Meister

Hubert Sumlin. I couldn’t really understand what he was saying but he was very happy to shake my hand with both hands around my one and seemed friendly. He was signing autographs after a show at a bar in Waterbury, CT, in the 80s. I waited in line but told him I just wanted to shake his hand and tell him how much I admired his playing.

24 track likes this.
  11. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Tommy Emanuell.
    He signed my Takamine.

24 track likes this.
  12. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

When we set up for Bob , the first thing off the truck was a huge rack we placed it at the end of the stadium about 10 min later the sound engineer came out and plugged it in 20 min later the lighting guy came out opened the rack ....... it was a starbucks cappachino maker , a Tim Hortons coffee maker , a fridge full of juice , pop and water all for the crew gratis of Bob, although very illusive he trated us very well , the the lighting guy made us all lattes, very cool!

at the black crows concert I met Kate Hudson , cute as a bugs ear, tiny but very nice we talked for about 10 min and watched the concert together .

Alice Cooper made a point of meeting everyone of the crew and personally thanked them for their help.

I had a really great talk for about 40 minutes with Eric Singer (drummer for Kiss & Black sabath)

these guys are just people and have interesting life styles and for the most part have the same stresses, if not more so.

John Nicholas and uriah1 like this.
  13. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I knew Jake years ago (before he was famous) when he worked at a shop here in Honolulu called The House of Music. They sold CDs, sheet music and music books, Guitars (acoustic and electric), amps, and Ukes. He was a really cool guy.

24 track likes this.
  14. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Holic

I met Stevie Salas twice - 20 years apart - lovely both times, even made a point of showing me his new framus guitar the second time.

Phil X was very nice

my favourite, though not a guitar player is Mr Bigs Eric Martin - just a fun chap to be around

24 track likes this.
  15. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

I worked for a rock magazine in London over 20 years ago so met quite a few bands and players. Ratt (all of them but in particular Warren deMartini, Queensryche (in particular Geoff Tate), Dee Snider, Magnum, Bad Company singer at the time, but the nicest one was Wurzel of Motorhead, lovely guy RIP.

24 track likes this.
  16. stinkey

stinkey Tele-Afflicted

Rosie Flores is a real nice person. Showed me her Trussart Tele and borrowed me her reading glasses. And she played my request.

17. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Very limited experiences.
    Willie Nelson was very nice as he signed my ticket stub in the parking lot after a show. I had some kind of backstage pass.
    Bob Margolin was nice after show. Gave me a yellow pick.
    I was a in a backstage room with Rick Derringer after a show but he wasn't looking for any company and I didn't hold it against him at all.
    Local guy Lindy Fralin is a good guy.

18. Iconocaster

Iconocaster TDPRI Member

Gene Cornish and Gatemouth Brown are the only two I spoke with long enough to form an opinion. Both great guys. My wife and I, along with another couple saw Gatemouth in a bar and he sat at our table between each set. He used to like to pick on people from the stage. We ragged on him just as hard so I think he liked us. Funny guy he was.

24 track and DonM like this.
  19. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Equally Danny Gatton and Vince Gill

djh22, 24 track and brookdalebill like this.
  20. Red_Gloria

Red_Gloria TDPRI Member

My wife met Jack Bruce whilst she was a young student. She was helping look after the artists at a festival. Immediately before she met him, Jack had just been given some news that clearly made him very angry, writ large upon his face. Never the less he went out of his way to be polite and gracious to a nervous young lady. That's a beautiful and inspirational way to behave.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.