Who is the nicest celeb guitar player you've met?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3fngrs, Oct 30, 2017.

1. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

Joe Pass was great. Got a private concert with him, he was trying many many guitars in a store in the 70's. They locked the store and he just played away, he kept smiling at me while he played. He was playing sort of lead, but using chords. Very impressive. I heard he was not always nice, but he was great to me that day.

brookdalebill likes this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Very cool.
    I saw him a year or so before his passing.
    I did not meet him, but I saw him do his solo show from 10 feet away.
    Astounding!
    He was a little less than charming.
    The sound guy, who was situated in the outdoor part of the venue, kept changing Joe's volume to accommodate the patio patrons.
    Joe played with his eyes closed a lot, and the changes in volume annoyed/angered him.
    He stopped playing, and said into the mic "Touch the volume one more time and I’ll just go to the hotel!"
    He was ill, and a little cranky.
    The sound guy acquiescenced!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    Deeve and jtees4 like this.
  3. Flyinlow

Flyinlow Tele-Meister

I've seen Tinsley Ellis quite a few times. He's always very friendly and engaging.
    Got to open for Joe Bonamassa in Ft Wayne in January of 2005. Talked about guitars, tones and stuff. Really down to Earth guy.

4. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

The owner of a CD store I used to frequent also met Dave Murray, and also told me he is a very accesible person who takes the time to thank everybody at the backstage for going to an Iron Maiden concert.

sonny wolf and troy2003 like this.
  5. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

Les Paul. Sweet guy. My wife and I met him at his weekly show at the Iridium in New York. He asked where we were from. When we said "Newfoundland" he smiled and told us that he had met Mary Ford at the Gander, Newfoundland airport, in the bar, when both their flights were delayed. That's the same airport that took in all the travelers during 9/11 and that the Broadway musical Come From Away is based on.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    1955 and brookdalebill like this.
  6. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Nicest; Joe Bonamassa We jawed for 10 minutes.

Opposite: George Benson, seemed beneath him to bother. And I am no fanboying bother, never was. Well back then with Page maybe. ;)

EDIT: Little more to this story too. The next time I was in the store the owner chastised me and told me not to even talk to him if I see him again.

I told him if I could undo the recent amp purchase, and him sending out my LP a few months earlier to fix a cracked neck and un-fretless wonder it with a jumbo refret @ premium cost I would and to FOOK himself and never stepped in the store again. Gilsonite Music, NJ circa 1979-80.

7. brookdalebill

Sorry to be a bit off topic, but Gander is was where my Californian Dad met my Newfie Mom in 1956.
    They didn’t meet at the bar though, they met at the PX (or BX), where my Mom was a cashier.
    Cool Les Paul story!

darkwaters likes this.
  8. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

Back then, Gander was billed as The Crossroads of the World. Not so much now.

9. BoogerRooger

BoogerRooger Poster Extraordinaire

I only met one but he seemed like nice bloke. In 1979 my mate told me about a band who just had their first album out that was supposed to be pretty good were on at Nottingham Boat Club. We got there pretty early and squeezed into seats in the bar for a beer before the show. It turned out the chaps sitting next to us were the band. After chatting with the guitar player for a bit my glass was empty so I asked him if he wanted a pint while I was at the bar. He laughed and said he probably earned more than me so he would get the round in and he went off to the bar and got beers for the band and me and my mate. The guitarists name was Mark Knopfler. Wonder what happened to him?

10. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Great thread. Just makes me feel good to read all these stories.

At my age, it'll take days for a proper search of the old hard-drive...but here's what I have today.

+1 BB King. I worked with a few other college students in the early-80s to set up an outdoor concert featuring BB King and his band + Stephen Stills. A political event at a public square Downtown. Beautiful, blue sky day. Maybe an hour of music and then the candidate talked for a bit. King was just a pleasant, regular guy, fun to talk to. Got to visit with the rest of the band while they set up. Nice people. Stills I remember was not unfriendly, just more to himself. It was clear he was half in the bag and it was like 11AM, which threw me. Could he play? Great little concert. King and the band played some standard songs, sounded great. Stills played maybe 2-3 solo songs. Then they played a few together. That was the best. Stills sitting (okay, standing) in with the band just seemed to bring a different energy to the blues and both he and King seemed inspired by it. I was particularly struck by Stills' tones and that he seemed to rise above whatever he'd put in his system to play some great music.

A few years ago I was living in Pittsburgh. Got a call the-day-of-the-gig to open for Walter Trout - former lead guitarist for Canned Heat, John Lee Hooker, John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers. He's been recording and touring with his own band since the late-80s. This was a gathering of the Pittsburgh Blues Society at a blues bar north of the city - Moondog's in Blawnox, PA for those from the area; the place was packed. Had to scramble a bit to prepare on a work day, but my buddy Dan, a harp player, was available. So on a stage already set up for the headliner we did a 45 minute acoustic-electric blues set that was well-received. After the set we went into the room behind the stage to put our instruments away where Trout and his band were sitting around, joking with each other. Long way to get to the focus of the thread, but those guys including Trout made such kind, thoughtful comments about our music, noting specific songs. Just very encouraging. And, for a guys like us who'll never quit our day jobs, kind of heady. Then Trout & Co went out on stage and tore the roof off that little bar.

John Nicholas likes this.
  11. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

I haven't met many.
    I met Clint Black, and borrowed his band for a song at a weird thing. Rather large Theater thing, actually.
    He was very, very nice. And the band were very gracious as well.

12. LP26

LP26 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Another vote for Bob Dylan…

I first met him at the Gaslight Café in 1962 when I was 14.
    Four years passed then I ran into him at the A&P in Woodstock. He was pushing his kids around the store in a grocery cart.
    Eight years later I went out on the road with him as tour photographer.

He's really a gentleman, quite humble, and a VERY underrated guitarist.

13. johnboy99

johnboy99 Tele-Meister

I got to meet Johnny Winter back in 05 or 06 when I was in my 20s. My girlfriend's friend was dating his manager / backup guitarist, so we got tickets to the show and got to hang out in his bus before he went on. I didn't know much about JW prior to going to the show and wasn't that familiar with his music. He looked to be about 130 or 140 years old, albino and covered in tattoos. He didn't talk much but was friendly. He smoked weed like he was chain smoking cigarettes and offered to share with us. He barely moved or said anything for the 15 or 20 minutes we were hanging out in the bus talking to our friends.

When it was time for the show to start they had to help him up on stage and sat him in a chair. I didn't have high hopes that this was going to be all that great of a show... It felt kind sad to be honest. Then they handed him his firebird and it was like someone flipped a switch and he came alive. His playing and vocals were killer and it was an incredible show with a ton of energy that I didn't expect based on my initial impression. He still had it.

Nubs, troy2003, AlabamaOutlaw and 3 others like this.
  14. JohnnyGringo

JohnnyGringo TDPRI Member

Agreed!

15. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

Great story! Only one problem, I met him in the 80's and he was already 130 or 140....so your story is impossible LOL. Even back then he was already partially playing while sitting on a stool and his helper had to pretty much carry him up on stage. I loved his early rock stuff, so I was disappointed that he refused to play anything but blues....but he changed my mind as he blew the place away. (Detroit in Portchester).

johnboy99 likes this.
  16. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

I've met a few, most have been dissapointments.
    When me and Curbow were hired for the Page tour,
    ( 89?)he was less than expected, altogether, somehow.

Now meeting Steve Earle, whom I woulx have been a scared of, well he was really pleaseant and we talked about our grandmothers, of all things. It all started with
    "Isn't it odd that people want you to sign dollar bills all the time?"

But the absolute nicest guy was Bo Diddley.
    Back when I was with White Lies, he came back to our green room and hung out till we opened for him.
    He was like we'd all known him forever.

Mainly I've learned that as long as you can find something other than them, to talk about, it goes much better.

jimash and brookdalebill like this.
  17. brookdalebill

Cool!
    Good avice, too!

18. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Dick Dale.

He autographed my Gretsch while groping my date and informing me that the Fender Stratocaster was THE ultimate electric guitar :p

jimash and brookdalebill like this.
  19. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

That reminds me of another time.
    Opening for The Band, I didn't actually "meet" Jim Weider, but his roadies were real nice, and plugged me into his cabinet, really just to be nice.
    Then later, we had a very nice moment with Levon Helm, and he tried to guess my wife's weight, in Braille, if you get my drift.

20. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've only met two, out of them Gary Hoey was a very cool, down to earth guy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.