1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Who is the guitarist with Daniel Lanois here?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by audiopablo, Oct 20, 2020.

1. audiopablo

audiopablo Tele-Meister

I guess I could look up the album credits for Acadie, because it sounds note for note the same as the recording (or pretty darn close). Anyway, if there's one person I wish I could play like, it's this guy. It's just so beautiful and care free, and dances around the track. Hold on for the little solo at 1:10 and everything on the way out.

update: I believe his name is Mason Ruffner

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    elihu and EsquireBoy like this.
  2. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

Quite right, Mason Ruffner plays on the track. (I’m pretty sure that apart from Lanois’ live vocal that performance was just mimed to the album track, so it’s definitely Ruffner playing and presumably him in the video too.)
    image.jpg
    One of my favourite albums: still worth a listen 30 years on. I can’t remember why I bought it — must have heard a song on the radio, maybe The Maker? — but it’s a great listen from beginning to end.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    EsquireBoy likes this.
  3. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

It looks to me it’s a play-back: where’s the rest of the band, and at the end Daniel seems to stop playing a bit too early. I do not know in North America, but here in Europe, play-back music was almost the only rule on TV during the 80s.

Anyway the playing is great for sure. And Daniel Lanois is himself a very interesting guitar and slide player too. Thanks for posting!

scrapyardblue and LoveHz like this.
  4. Silent Otto

Silent Otto Tele-Meister

This has been a favorite since its release, and I've had the pleasure of seeing him perform this record live in its entirety a few years back, here in Acadie.

AAT65 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.