Who is the absolute best guitar player you've ever seen play live?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Big_Bend, Mar 31, 2016.

1. skiddd

skiddd TDPRI Member

I haven't seen many live concerts, work and life seemed to always get in the way(stupid excuse I know)I did see Van Halen and Rush and was blown away by the artists both times. I do have one that always stands out. when I was around 12 my Father took me to a concert that was all country stars playing. the one that stood out, and to this day I can remember clear as day was Roy Clark.

P Thought likes this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Saw Glenn play live when he was in his prime, not many had his ability, and what a showman!

Here is singing gentle on my mind, stay with it until about half way through to the guitar break and you can see that his guitar acumen is pretty damned good. He does something different here that I always liked, he did it like a guy working for a living that says just for hell with it, I'm gonna do it different tonight and see if any body's paying attention. That's not his normal solo, just something he threw in there.

3. BillNeaves

BillNeaves Tele-Meister

Tony Rice

Toto'sDad likes this.
  4. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

I'd say Danny Gatton if I'd seen him live, but I haven't. So it would be either Tommy Emmanuel or Joe Pass or Barney Kessel. But I really dug Duane Eddy too!

5. Toto'sDad

That's why I can't name a "best" picker, just about the time I think I've got it pegged, someone like Tony pops into mind. He was one of the greatest bluegrassers ever, heck he was just a great guitarist. His later in life playing just became more and more complex, and had to be studied to even grasp what he was doing.

1955 likes this.
  6. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

Frank Zappa was a friend, but best was/is Jeff Beck,

1955 likes this.
  7. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

T.E. is great live but the most melodic live guitar passage for me was the Don Felder/Joe Walsh combination doing the Hotel Cal. solo.

Would loved to have seen Danny Gatton.

DC

t guitar floyd likes this.
  8. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Angus

9. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

There have been two guitarists who have completely changed the way I view playing guitar. In each case when I first saw them I was driven to despair by an awareness of how really infantile my skills were on an instrument I'd held in my grasp for 3+ decades.

Frank Vignola- Jazz ninja warrior
    Jack Williams- Acoustic fingerstyle Einstein

10. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Afflicted

Hmm I love alot of different players...
    And I have seen many unknowns and alot of the knowns.
    Jeff Beck....it was unlike anything I ever have seen before.....
    Saw Dann Huff as well way back in the day...also an experience beyond the normal.
    And George Benson.....along long long time ago....wow!
    David Gilmour with PF in the 80's.....was playing on a wide levelheaded plane....phrasings from heaven.
    Keith Scott from Bryan Adams...what a great great player.
    Larry Carlton...no words is needed!
    Jeff Healey...fire from the skies!
    Hadley Hockensmith...total master of hanging...what an attack and sound.
    Gary Moore....pre blues days...auch.
    Rory Gallagher...awesome!
    Have heard countless others.

11. Slip Kid

Slip Kid Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

For me, it's a tie between these three, which I had the good fortune to witness up close

Jimmy Rosenberg: sitting in with Les Paul (circa 2000) and then proceeded to play like Django, while Les kept saying "he's only 17"

Pat Metheny: with Antonio Sanchez and Christian McBride in 2008. Pat just unloaded in the middle of one solo, I just don't how else to describe it.

Julian Lage: a couple years ago, he almost seemed to be in this dream state, would say to the band "let's play this thing..." and it just flowed effortlessly from his fingers.

I've seen most of my favorites and rock, blues and jazz legends but none have compared to those 3.

12. JustEd

JustEd Tele-Meister

For me it was Squeeze. Glenn Tilbrook is a very underated guitar player, IMO.

Plumber and brookdalebill like this.
  13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Amen to that!

14. Toto'sDad

I never saw Tony Rice play live but, unbelievably it was a rainy night when I happened to run across this video when I was just browsing the net one night about 9 years ago. It was raining in the video, so I thought ok, give it a watch. Damned near stopped me from playing acoustic guitar! Though Tony was primarily known as a bluegrass player, it's obvious he's something way beyond the norm for that genre of music. His "the bone" Martin has a story all it's own since it belonged to Clarence White at one point. Just amazing stuff that comes out of that old guitar.

15. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

Christopher Parkening

Carlos Montoya

Julian Bream

Michael Lorimer

Hard to say which 1 was best.

16. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

It's like asking what's the best food! I'll remember more after posting, but off the top of my head, I've seen:

Steve Howe, Thumbs Carllile, Jeff Beck, Buddy Miller, Tommy Tedesco, Allan Holdsworth, Scott Henderson, Alex Lifeson, Joe Pass, Tony Furtado, George Lynch, Pat Metheny, Brad Paisley, Steve Vai, Joe Diorio, Jimmy Herring, Robben Ford, Larry Carlton, Roy Rogers, Brian May, Frank Gambale, Jennifer Batten, Rik Emmet, Rick Richards, Peter Buck, Glenn Phillips, Barry Bailey, Terry Kath, BB King, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, Steve Trovato, Davey Johnstone, Frank Marino, Don Mock, John Mooney, Neil Schon, Corky Hughes, Steve Morse, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Walter Becker, Larry Coryell, Andy Summers, Johnny Ramone, Mike Campbell, Gary Richrath, Tommy Shaw, Dominic Miller, Monte Montgomery, Adrian Legg, Derek Trucks, Ted Nugent, Kerry Livgren, George Benson, Rich Williams, Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser, Barry Richman, Stanley Jordan, Ron Eschete, Jimmy Nalls, Davis Causey, Eddie Van Halen, Peter Stroud, Eric Clapton, Tinsley Ellis, Doug Pettibone, Gary Louris, Carlos Santana, Patrick Simmons, Tom Johnston, Vernon Reid, Norman Brown, Paul Gilbert, Tony Iommi

- no "best", in my opinion. And my tastes have changed over the years anyway.

17. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I can't pick "best".

Though EVH is truly amazing.

The most enjoyable for me recently was Wilco. When Nels, Pat and Jeff are all playing guitar on a song, their ability to get great, distinct tone, and weave together interesting and diverse parts that don't get in the way, and yet all fit the song, with exceptional dynamics, is really something.

18. Gassage

Gassage Tele-Meister

David Gilmour.

Then daylight.

Then Gary Moore.

19. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Tommy Emmanuel or Jeff Beck.

Could have been Jimmy Bryant if I ever got to see him play.

20. rickwxi

rickwxi TDPRI Member

Chet Atkins and Tommy Emmanuel. Saw Chet in Monmouth, Oregon and he was better than any of his recordings. He came out with a acoustic nylon string guitar and played Stars and Strips Forever by himself!

I saw Tommy at the Elsinore theater in Salem, OR. I can not describe how good this guy is on guitar! He said "I am an entertainer that happens to play the guitar. Yeah right.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.