Who is buying them?

TG

Doctor of Teleocity
I often browse the listings on Reverb and I notice that there are a lot of 4 and 5 figure guitars on there. It's got me wondering who is buying these guitars now. There aren't the gigging venues there used to be and budget/standard price guitars are very good quality. I'm also thinking that retired people who grew up during the 60s and 70s would largely have many of the guitars we dreamed about at this stage, and I don't know why many younger people would want, say, a 5K guitar. Add the modern cost of housing, etc, I'm wondering who is keeping these guitar companies and dealers afloat.

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
The way I see it, buying an expensive guitar these days is about either aesthetics, being really picky about materials/specs, or the simple prestige of "I have one of THESE".

In other words, no one's buying a super-pricey guitar only because they need or want a guitar.

Bob M

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
The last 2 years I reduced my collection from over 20 guitars that were worth between $500 to $1,000 to 9 guitars worth between $2k and $3k. I bought 3 4 digit guitars this year but sold 6 and 2 amps to finance it. So you don’t necessarily have to be rich to buy some of this stuff.

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
The last 2 years I reduced my collection from over 20 guitars that were worth between $500 to $1,000 to 9 guitars worth between $2k and $3k. I bought 3 4 digit guitars this year but sold 6 and 2 amps to finance it. So you don’t necessarily have to be rich to buy some of this stuff.
Me too, this is pretty much my thinking . I got rid of a few nice things , and got a couple really nice guitars in the last few years . A 5k Gibson acoustic last winter , due to basically being really picky about materials, sound etc. I’m sure there’s lots of regular Joe’s like myself doing the same thing. I’m fact my local music store has a really high end acoustic room, with plenty of 5-7 thousand dollar acoustics , that don’t stay long. Same with their electric selection. There’s lots of people in this area with much more money than me . Amd musicians that I know, don’t seem to mind dropping a lot of money into their hobby . I have a bass player friend that is literally buying 3 basses a year , usually getting rid of only one . All very high end stuff . Golfers spend much more . Car freaks spend much more , boaters spend much more .it’s really not that crazy to have a 5,000 guitar. I plan to keep mine for the rest of my life . .
I spend much more on my family than myself , my wife has a nice car , amd I drive a 20 year old truck ,with a nice guitar and amp in it, when I go play

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
Doctors, lawyers, developers, investors, entrepreneurs, same as it ever was
My brother had a successful CPA practice. He passed away in 2019, a year before you-know-what, but he had, at one time or another (not all at once) nearly every guitar the Beatles ever played. Gretsches, Rickenbackers, Rocky Strat replica, red Les Paul, etc. And a Gibson J-160e John Lennon model.

He was a true Beatlemaniac. If he had been on this forum back then, he and Blowtorch might have got into it.

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm a big fan of reasonably priced guitars. But I have to say that the last guitar I bought was a D'Angelico, retail price £1200 ($1700?). And the difference in the neck and the pickups from say, a MIM or an Epiphone, is miles and miles.

I paid £500 for it in a clearance sale, which makes me even happier. A premium D'Angelico for less than a MIM.

So if I was ever going to buy another guitar (unlikely) I might well be looking to pay a little more.

hopdybob

Friend of Leo's
as long you have no money problems, healthy, you have food and no other basic needs one could buy them just like all the other things you can buy if real needs are not have to be fulfilled.
but when thoose other basic needs need to be fullfilled en you NEED money, than mostly you don't get what you paid.
so why buy?

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I don't gig, never have. I have been an IT dude going on 35 years with another 6 before I retire.
Music has always been a love since the age of 8 when I started piano, then High School when I started the Sax.
I have been obsessed with the Sax from High School well into my 40s, then I picked up the guitar. Music has always been an obsession.
I have multiple guitars over 1K and several partscasters that likely cost over 1K. For me, it is about the specs, especially the neck.
I love a modern C, but my preference is for a Deep C profile, and I love the American Professional and American Professional II necks.
Between the kids and I we also have Squiers, MiM Fenders and an Epiphone in the house, so it is certainly not that I love throwing money around for the sake of having an expensive guitar as I don't. I am just particular 🤷‍♂️ Once I retire, my plan is to get a bachelor's degree in performing arts (guitar) from the local university. Free tuition for those 60 and up, will be 65 when I retire.

Last edited: