Who is able to run their amps open at gigs?

Beebe

Tele-Afflicted
Wow!

I might not come to your gig ;)

cheers - 68.

This is true. However if you have a loud drummer turning up to match him only justifies him to keep banging away.

I don't turn up and when they complain they can't hear me they start to back off to a reasonable level. I don't like loud at rehearsal or on stage, never have.

Yeah I'm with you. I tried that for about a year. The fact that the other guitar player also plays loud didn't help. I could hardly hear myself in the single mic practice space recordings and eventually gave in and turned up.

The drummer has a couple other quieter bands and wants to play loud in this one. He's also an old friend and quite talented, so I got myself some nice ear plugs.

bowman

Friend of Leo's
I use a 100 watt 2x12 SS amp live because it actually sounds pretty good, doesn’t need to be babied, and it’s easy to lug around. Even though it’s SS, I still never turn it up more than halfway.

wulfenganck

Tele-Afflicted
Ah, the subject "volume on stage" just never gets old......well, we do a lot of soul/funk stuff where I need a really "no distortion at all" cleantone, pretty much Nile Rodgers style. My Hughes & Kettner Edition Tube 25th Anniversary does that and holds its ground against drummers, although it only has 20 watts. But then, our drummer plays at moderate volume. I had my share of ear-crushing concerts, but frankly, I don't need that any more.

InstantCoffeeBlue

Tele-Holic
Hi!

To be fair - the (non reverb) Princeton is about the lowest-volume amp Fender ever put out...
I could (almost) crank it in my apartment ;)

cheers - 68.

View attachment 1033616

Yeah, I have a Weber 10F150T in mine and always slam it with a boost, which gets it to Princeton Reverb levels (still very little breakup though). Without the boost and with the original Oxford, you could have a conversation over it at 10 for sure.

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
Doing my solo gigs at assisted living centers, I use my 1979 Vibrolux Reverb and my Epi Sheraton 1964 Reissue. That particular guitar seems to have a higher output than my other electrics. With the VR, keeping the volume at presentable levels I have to keep the volume on the amp around 2 as well as the guitar volume. I recently put a 12AU7 in the vibrato channel tube slot, rather than the usual 12AX7. This reduces the gain in that channel by about 40%, and allows me to run the channel volume at between 4 and 5, guitar at 4-6. The increase in tone really makes this a nice mod for my playing, since I prefer to be clean 95% of the time.

dannyh

Friend of Leo's
I run my amp where it needs to be to do the gig. If I'm afforded the luxury of being able to get it in "the sweet spot" (or close), then great, but that's not always the case. I usually run pedals for dirt; it's just more practical for most of the gigs I do. Some pedals have a sweet spot too, but if you can't get there then that's just another compromise you have to make sometimes. Whatever it takes to keep a gig.

I have different amps I use for different scenarios, same with some dirt pedals. Good excuse to have a lot of amps too, lol.

That's just what I do...

SRHmusic

Tele-Afflicted
That Maz 18 is really loud, and does sound great dialed in. But it doesn't sit in a mix well, especially if aimed forward. The other guitarist in my band used one sometimes and sound people would usually pull his rig out of the mains mix completely because it's too loud just by itself. It's just counter productive and throws off the mix everywhere in the house. (On an outdoor stage at a big field is a different story) It would be better off to the side of the stage and aimed at the guitarist's head or behind a baffle. I think it's cool to have that air move in the room from a good amp, and the tones are great, but the bigger goal is for the band to be clearly heard, no?

I play a Blues Cube Artist set at 45W at about 3.5, angled up at me, mic'd and a bit in the monitors. Sound people like it a lot.

Last edited:

Jeru

Tele-Holic
For inside shows I play a SF Princeton (non-verb). It's ~12 watts through a pretty efficient
speaker, and/but stays pretty clean until you get way up on the dial. I often have it between
~6 to 8 1/2. It'll play any room with a mic in front of it to the house sound.

For outdoor shows (often, as others have posted, without PA support) I need a bit more
headroom. I sold my twin ~a year ago, quit while I was ahead after realizing that my days
of lugging it around without injury were numbered. Right now I am have my band-mate's
DRRI on loan, and I'm building something similar to RobRob's blackvibe circuit to play outside.

IMG_1175.JPG IMG_1728.JPG IMG_1729.JPG

TheCheapGuitarist

Tele-Holic
The way I look at things now, you're free to turn your amp up as loud as you see fit, and the sound guy will mute your channel as he sees fit. You may not even realize it until you see a live stream of it later and realize that you weren't in the mains, and you'll get all depressed.....

Many sound guys won't tell you that you're not in the P.A. system because your amp is too loud, they'll just mute you.

UpstateDon

Tele-Meister
Appreciate the lively responses. All very helpful. I'm thinking a couple things: (i) face the amp in another direction; (ii) start using this attenuator my buddy sold to me (never used one before); and (iii) use a compressor. Here are some clips from the other night....sounds pretty weak to me, but I'll work on it. First one use a pedal for some meat but sounds kind of ratty. Thanks all!