Who here plays guitar through a bass amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by w3stie, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

Over the years I played though 2 Fender Bassman amps and a Traynor Bass amp. I wish I had the One of the Bassman amps back. Great guitar amps.

2. J-bass&Tele

J-bass&Tele Tele-Meister

I got a decent guitar tone with a Tech 21 Blonde through a GK MB200 head with a very modern 1x12 bass cab. Tried it as a potential backup solution.
    The Blonde was the key.

My mid 70's Roost SR22, Hiwatt-ish thing that sounds awesome for both. I use instrument specific cabs though.

3. Artunes

Artunes Tele-Meister

My first amplifier was an early '70s Bassman head, and I had a 2x12 Fender cabinet. I played both my bass and my guitar through that thing. I remember that it used to break up too much when I played bass through it at higher volumes, but it was only 50 watts. Later on I bought a Peavey Classic, probably a '73 or '74, with 6L6s in it and 2 12" speakers. I got a fairly regular gig playing bass for a polka/standards band, and my only choice was to use that Peavey amp. The bass would distort, and one time the trombone player turned around and said that it sounded almost like a tuba player who would overblow and get that polka tuba sound. I'm sure it didn't do the amp any good, but it was good money for a college student.

4. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

'65 Bassman Head through an Avatar 2x12 sporting Altec Lansing 417-8C speakers.

That is as techy and pretentious as I can get....actual skills are more like a Cromagnum with a stone banging against the cave wall.

But is is one hell of a nice stone.

5. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

My first tube amp (and my second amp, period) was an early Bassman Ten. Rich, fat, full and punchy...great, great guitar and harp amp that I/we (bandmates) used for keyboards, bass and as a makeshift PA system for a small gigs and dozens of jam sessions.

I loved that amp, but it was lost in the Great Mortgage Payment Guitar and Amp Collection Massacre of 1994-1996. The only thing I don't miss about it was the weight.

Recently, I plugged my #1 go-to Telecaster into my daughter's Fender Rumble 150 (just for grins), and I was pleasantly surprised...fat and full on the bottom end (duh, that's what it's made for), but also a very pleasant top end projection. The built-in overdrive sounded good, too. Later, I ran my Stratocaster and the Big Ol Board of Sonic Bliss (pedalboard) through it, and it sounded equally good.

It was a little more sterile and a little less "live" than my other amps, but it wasn't unpleasant at all.

Was it perfect? No
    Was it as good as my '63-reissue Vibroverb or my vintage Silvertone 1483? No
    But...but it sounded just about equally as good as my Pignose G40V...

...and for a cheap solid-state amp that isn't made for guitar, it sounded pretty dang good, and I wouldn't hesitate to use the Rumble in a pinch.

Guitandanza likes this.
  6. Guitandanza

Guitandanza Tele-Meister

Bass player I play with left a Fender Rumble 3, 25 watt combo in our rehearsal room. I played my tele thru it. Very nice. The overdrive is not adjustable and very mild but tuneful. It has a ported 8 inch speaker and is under $100. Sounds good with bass too.

7. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

I've always favored playing guitar through a bass amp. Partly because I just like it that way and partly because I play both and could never afford multiple amps.............:D

Back in the day(which was a Tuesday, by the way) it was a 66 Supro Thunderbolt tube amp. Now, it's a smaller Fender Rumble.

8. AnAxeNamedBeverly

AnAxeNamedBeverly Tele-Meister

My new favorite pedal is a Marshall emulator that can do SuperLead or SuperBass.
    Superbass+Fuzz=Awesome!

9. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I have been remise in not adding my name to the roll before now...

I've owned a Silverface Bassman 50 for about four years now and a '59 Bassman RI for about a year and a half. The BMRI has moved into the #1 gigging amp slot.

10. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Keith and the Stones played through Ampeg SVTs for years, read about it in The Rolling Stones Gear Book, tells how Keith was abusing them to the point of meltdown ! Lol

11. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

The dude from Tool played the Undertow guitar tracks on a Marshall bass head, and that to me was the perfect example of recorded Marshall tone. He also kept the head in the fridge when not using it... he believed it preserved the components and therefore the tone. He makes us here on TDPRI seem normal by comparison.

12. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

IMG_20160523_161030701_HDR.jpg
    Not a modern bass amp, perhaps- but a great amp, period.

13. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Afflicted

Adam jones. It was my understanding that he played thru the superbass on Opiate (1st album) and then the superbass and triple rectifier on Undertow. I believe he uses a dual amp rig still, the superbass and a diezel head through a mesa cab. But it is his '78 silverburst LP that brings the mojo.

He gave me the idea to run a clean signal out to a bass amp. I like how it fills and fattens the low end.

14. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Have a Mesa Walkabout combo that sounds killer with guitar. Really great. Tube preamp and mosfet power amp. So now I have a kick ass 300 watt guitar amp that I discovered accidentally. Not all bass amps sound great with guitar, but this one does.

15. Texas_tele2015

Texas_tele2015 Tele-Meister

While messing around with a little Drive 15 or 25 watt CB200B bass practice amp discovered with a little reverb and compressor along with some tweaking on the homebuilt tele I can get amazing clean tone and ringing sustain. Yes you lose the twang the tele is known for but it becomes a totally different sound to work with and adjusting the mids and treble on the amp along with the presence you can find a great tone to make your own.

16. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

I just repaired a big crate bass amp.
    Plugged Tele in to test it. Messed with
    EQ and got a really nice clean tone.
    Done the same with other bass amps I've repaired, with similar results.

I've never giged with one but it would
    be fine if you needed a clean sound.

17. Patton

Patton TDPRI Member

April 1968 Bassman. Sounds superb into a 2-12 cabinet! Great bass response. I tend to run stereo out of my Boss DD-6 and put one side into the Bassman and the other into my 76’ Weber loaded Princeton Reverb.

18. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Having recently acquired a bass, I could sure get on board with the idea of having an amp that does double duty.

How many of you have tried your Tele through one of the current Fender Rumble line, or a similar priced bass amp?

19. harleytech

harleytech TDPRI Member

Yep !

MisterZ likes this.
  20. beachbreak

beachbreak TDPRI Member

"Keith and the Stones played through Ampeg SVTs for years, read about it in The Rolling Stones Gear Book, tells how Keith was abusing them to the point of meltdown ! Lol"

Not surprising. I think they were playing the Ampegs in 1972 when I saw them at MSG in NYC. The amps were cranked and LOUD!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.