Who here plays guitar through a bass amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by w3stie, Mar 12, 2012.

1. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

This one has channels that sound good for both bass and guitar.
    6G6B clone.

2. wickdawg7

wickdawg7 NEW MEMBER!

A friend who has an endorsement from Ampeg gave me one of his SVT 4 Pro bass heads today. I plugged my 52 American Vintage into the head and the head into my Mesa Boogie cab. I started out with the volume and gain way down because of the massive wattage that thing pumps out.

When I eased the volume up and adjusted the graphic eq, the tone was so clean and beautiful. I was surprised how well it sounded. I like it better than the clean tone from the Mesa Rectifier.

I pushed the gain on the Ampeg right to the edge of breakup and that tone sounded great as well. I love the Mesa tone at that type of setting, but this one was completely different yet very useable. I might have to get a splitter and work the Ampeg into my guitar rig.

I'll have to do some more experimenting, but so far, this particular head made my Tele sound great.

3. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Two things I'm not a fan of Peavey and solid state. But Im a nice guy and said I'd look at a sick TNT bass amp. Luckily a few shots of Radio Shack tuner cleaner fixed the thing. So I plugged in a verb pedal and a Tele just to see if it was going to work.
    Much to my surprise it didn't suck. That amp has some distortion settings and those did suck but for clean stuff it wasn't bad at all.

Might have been that 15" speaker I liked but I didn't hook it up to another amp to find out.

4. patiodog

patiodog TDPRI Member

Played around on the cheap bastard side of this today. Have been wanting to pick up a cheap clean 50 wattish SS guitar amp to have as a hassle free grab and go. Decided to plug into a cheap-o Behringer 45W 10" bass combo I've got sitting around, and figured out that if I pull down all the eq sliders and then add back in 5K and a little bit of low-mid, it doesn't sounds half bad and gets pretty damn loud. It's not gorgeous, but as a cheap jam platform it may do as well as anything I'm going to find for pocket change...

5. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yup! '72 Fender Musicmaster with tilt-back legs, miced through our PA for that spanky-clean '70s funk tone, crunched up with a bit of Fly Rig 5 when necessary.

Compact & light, and tubes are cheap and readily available ... an undiscovered gem, I tell ya, in the realm of vintage tube amps ... YMMV!

Peace.

6. kavalero

kavalero Tele-Meister

7. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

lol I played guitar out of an old Peavey TNT100 for years!

There's no reason you can't use a bass amp for guitar. It's going to be a great clean sounding platform. Just add pedals.

BobbyZ likes this.
  8. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

I recently picked up a '64 Supro 1688T "Bass" amp.
    2 channels: Bass, and Standard(Guitar/Accordion +Tremolo. Basically a Gretsch 6159. 2x12, 2cathode biased 6L6s. Not very loud for it's supposed 35 watts, but great vintage Valco tone.

25511422.jpg 25511424.jpg

9. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

So true. I've got half a dozen myself.

I couldn't see being stuck with just one amp. It's just so limiting sonically.

10. Ivanez

Ivanez NEW MEMBER!

I have played guitar for 40 years and still going. Initially I started with valve Marshalls, but was let down twice by two different so called "high end Marshall amps", on big gigs. Switched to Peavey solid state guitar amps (Bandit and Special 130, someone remember them? they were still made in USA). Loved the crystal clear solid state sound, but they turned out to be too small for the stages I played. Made my way through Randall, Crate and Carvin. Unimpressed, mainly by unreliability, one day a few years ago I decided to try a 15" bass combo. Have always been a big fan of Ibanez' quality and craftsmanship, so got a Promethean 5115K 500W class D bass combo . To this day this is the only amp I play and will never look back to either guitar amps or anything to do with valves. Clear unadulterated bottom end, cut-through mid range and crystal clear tops, can fall off a truck and still play (the amp, not me...). I play an array of effects through the amp, in front of the preamp (meaning not through a send-return) and the sheer force and quality of the sound, and the available headroom never cease to amaze me. Tone is subjective, purists will come up with all sorts of stories and vague terminology, but the ear does not lie.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  11. mauer62

mauer62 Tele-Holic

I played through a fender bassman many years ago for some party gigs but thats about it.

12. sosay

sosay Tele-Afflicted

long time ago through a johnson bass amp,but i dont like using the wrong amps for wrong instruments,i have been using a bass through a marshal amp for recording,if it is a fairly new amp i would'nt do it,in case it is effected in the long run

13. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I did it recently and it sounded good, particularly since I generally keep a bass line going on the low strings while playing.

Gonna try it again.

14. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

I believe Carol Kaye did nearly all of her 10s of thousands of studio sessions playing Bass through a guitar amp. Was it a Fender Concert Amp? 4x10s. I saw Jimi Hendrix on TV in the 60s, maybe it was Dick, Cavett, I can't remember, but he was using a little Ampeg flip-top bass amp ... sounded great.

My bass rig is a 1968 Fender Bassman into either a 1x15 Showman cab, or a 2x12 Fender Bassman cab. Both set ups sound very good for guitar. My double-bass amp is a little Polytone guitar amp (Baby Brute) that works good for either bass or guitar.

Many small combo bass amps sound like acoustic-guitar amps, especially if they have a piezo or a horn.

15. pompeii0

pompeii0 Tele-Meister

What about a bass preamp (such as BBE BMAX-T based on Fender tone stack I believe) into power amp and guitar cab?

16. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

Seriously? I sold a 4x10 bass cab to a guy that wanted to also use it for guitar. I thought it sounded like a$$. Can you justify $200? Go get a Boss 50w Katana and forget about this silly idea you have . . . :D

17. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I tried it through several ported bass cabs and didn't like the sound at all.

I'd really like to try one of those Ampeg 2x10"s.

18. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted

I used a Lab L2 head and a huge Acoustic Control Corporation combo for guitar. And a Polytone bass amp. I enjoy cleans of that kind.

19. Hippieway

Hippieway Tele-Holic

Tried it, didn't like it.

20. hodshonf

hodshonf TDPRI Member

i recently bought an Ampeg PF50-T all tube head for both guitar AND bass.

it has two fantastic no-load DI outs.

i use it for recording mostly with a cab sim pedal.

but i have to tell ya, those 5 tubes in there LOVE guitar. and take OD pedals really well.

the clincher was adding an Origin Effects Cali76 CD comp pedal.

nails it!

sorry for the blur.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.