Who here likes Trout?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by John Backlund, May 30, 2020.

1. skitched

skitched Tele-Meister

Trout is a salmonid, but I agree, fresh water trout and salt water salmon/steelhead (sea-run rainbow trout) taste quite different.

I started fly fishing not terribly far from Spearfish, when I was working and living int the north end of the Bighorn mountains. We did a trip to climb at Devils tower and the weather chased us off to do some climbing in spearfish canyon which was mighty fine rock in a gorgeous setting.

2. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

P-Nutz likes this.
  3. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I was hoping it was! Definitely a bigger fan of Walter, than the fish.

Scotty2Hottie likes this.
  4. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

A net would work. I love trout. We would catch them as kids on my parents property in upstate NY outside of Syracuse. There were so many we didn't use bait. We would stand in the large roots of giant trees along the creek and jackpole them into the weeds...lol. My dad was always proud of us. We would pan fry the trout for breakfast. They were brown brook trout.

Then I stopped in Grand Junction Colorado for a fresh local caught trout dinner.....one of the best meals I ever had.

5. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

I can Walter Trout in bits and pieces. Too many 64th notes for too long for me.
    But trout the fish is a different story

6. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

So, I've been trout fishing many times, and love them ... we have hatcheries around the state ... but, this story is about a fabulous trout paté Ms. Nutz and I used to eat at the Linn St. Café in IC, IA, ... was absolutely AMAZING ... however, NEVER have it with red wine (our fave) ... Jess Sane, here ...

7. TommyBaltimore

TommyBaltimore TDPRI Member

Me too.

8. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Afflicted

I lived in the Sierra Nevada Mts. from my late teens into my early 30’s. I caught and ate many a Rainbows. I do miss those days.

dented likes this.
  9. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Who doesn't? ;)

10. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, he's a great center fielder, bats for average and has awesome power. Too bad he plays for the Angels.:(.. Oh wait! I misunderstood.:confused:.. nah, I didn't!:rolleyes::lol:

11. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

can't think of many fish I don't love to eat. looking forward to some fishing end of next week.

brookdalebill likes this.
  12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Just waiting for the local run-off to end, so that I can go flyfishing for some local brookies, bows and browns.:) A nice hatch along our creek this evening, so getting the itch.:cool:

dented likes this.
  13. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I was just talking about taking a week off in July and doing some camping / fishing.

Years ago, people I worked with went up to Lee's Ferry, just below Glen Canyon Dam. At that time, they were pulling 5 - 10 pound rainbows out of there. My boss took one of the fish and smoked it. Man, that was great fish!

aerhed and dented like this.
  14. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I love trout from little Brookies to big Steelhead, and sea trout are cool, too. Quite a primitive fish, actually.

15. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

I’ve never been a fish fan, period. But my kids like fish, and I intend on teaching them to fish. So, I’m going to have to learn to like it... lol I’ve caught lots of fish, but I’ve never caught anything but a trout.

16. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

I just risked death once again by driving over THE FLAMING GORGE! Did any of you know that there are fifty pound Lake Trout in there? But it's hard to fish because of all the FLAMES.

17. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Yum.

18. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

every year we have the Adam's river salmon run in the fall the rivers are full of salmon returning to spawn , one year about 5 years ago we went down to see the event,( outstanding and smelly.LOL) but I saw somrthing that really was fascinating ,

there were tons of egg ridden female large salmon looking to find a place to nest, and out of the rocks on the shore trout , large ones would come out and ram the salmon causing them to drop eggs , the trout would swoop in and gobble them up and disappear back in the rocks again , then repeat.,

I had never seen that before.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  19. philpm

philpm Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Only been trout fishing once, with my late FIL. Didn't catch any, but would love to try again.

Do love eating them though. The best I've had is at the Smokey Mountain Trout Restaurant in Gatlinburg, TN.

20. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

I used to love to catch and eat trout when I lived in New England. But ever since I moved to Pittsburgh I'm too scared to eat the fish out of the local waters. :(

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.