1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Who here leaves their Tele controls stock?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Mike R., Jul 13, 2019.

1. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

No treble-bleed and a .022uf tone cap.

2. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Tele-Holic

Me. Was thinking about all those options but it's a bloody minefield so I will leave my Tele playing like a Tele.

3. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

I've never modded any of my guitars. My Classic '72 Thinline came with a four way switch, which the previous owner added, but that's it.

4. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Meister

All of mine are stock except the Kirn.

5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yeah, I've read that, but it's not been my experience. Possibly volume and amp response might play a part. I play big amps, clean, at home. If someone's diming a Tweed Deluxe, maybe it does act differently, I don't know.

The other thing you'll read is that it makes the vol and tone pots 'interactive', that adjusting one can affect the other. I find it to be a very minor issue, one that I adapt to without even thinking about it. But again, a different type of player... maybe someone who is constantly riding the knobs would be bothered by it.

6. DaveG_NJ

DaveG_NJ Tele-Meister

I have three (out of eight) that are stock:
    - 70th Anniversary Broadcaster (my #1). Cannot want for anything.
    - Custom Shop Deluxe (4-way, reverse controls).
    - Richie Kotzen MIJ Tele (unique setup, no need to change).

The rest are partscasters with a variety of wiring schemes, invariably some type of 4-way, either a 4-pos blade or push/pull pot. Mostly flipped and reversed so that the switch is closest to the bridge, but the switch points to the pickup that's active. Honestly, I don't used the series position that often. Probably the reason the Broadcaster is my #1.

7. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi again.

Since my last post in this thread in 2019, I have in fact gone ahead and modded my Tele's controls to include both pickups in series, via an on / on switch I mounted between the volume and tone knobs. This switch overrides the three way switch, so, wherever you are, you can jump straight in and out of both in series. It also leaves the selector switch ‘thee-way-simple,’ which I like.

I love the series mod and find it, and the way I implemented it useful. But, on a whim, instead of just adding the on / on switch to the existing harness, I decided to install a whole new kit. And that, amongst other problems, messed up the guitar’s fundamental tone. In the end I had to add a resistor across the volume pot to tame the new and unpleasant high end harshness. Oh well…

Here you can see the on / on switch, and the trialling of various tone fix resistor values.

CB4D0951-CCDF-4910-A57C-8FD864D18EF2.jpeg

3E347946-6687-4D49-875A-FBC66B735A0C.jpeg

Pax/
    Dean
    p.s. oh, and on my LP, I did the so-called 50s wiring mod.

8. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

That's my philosophy too. I don't buy guitars for their 'potential' but because I like the sound/feel/look enough to bring them home. I see so many posts here and elsewhere about the guitar a guy just bought and immediately wants ideas for swapping out pickups, tuners, bridges, wiring and I think, 'why?' I guess some folk just like to tinker and there's nothing wrong with that.
    The only 'mod' I ever do is to fit strap locks.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  9. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

New guy here in Tele land. To me, Fender did everything they could post 1965 to kill the great sound of the Telecaster. In the late 1980's some of the American tele's sounded better but still lacked the great sound. The new tele's going back a few years sound much better but still are not up to par. Just my personal opinion.

I also think that the tele neck pick up was one of the worst sounding pickups ever made. I have read that Fralin makes a very good sounding neck pickup. I have spent a long time researching old vs new and have come up with a rebuild that makes my new(er) Tele's sound old, authentic, vintage, twangy, quacky and makes me smile like crazy. I might also want to note that I am an old guitar repairman.

When I acquire a Tele now, I gut it, just leaving the bridge saddle plate and I sell off all the parts to recoup a little money. I install mini grover machine heads, 1 reproduction vintage tele bridge pickup (not too hot), quality 250k pots (sometimes 500k), an oil in paper fat period correct tootsie roll capacitor, and thick period cloth covered wiring. I rewire my tele using a standard 1970 diagram but with only the bridge pick up. I basically make an Esquire out of the guitar. Custom pick guard with no neck pickup hole and special control plate with no slot for a toggle switch. I incorporate a proper tone bleed in the wiring.

My vintage repo bridge pickup(s) so far have been the Dimarzio Twang King (Don Rich tone) and Seymor Duncan Broadcaster (Roy Nichols tone). I plan to eventually use Seymor Duncan's '54 tele, '55 retrospect tele and his new 5-2 tele pup that I think will be awesome. Also plan to use Fralin's standard wired tele pick up, not the over wound ones.

I sub the neck pup sound with my tone pot and amp. I love the sound of these rebuilds. My quest is for pure country twang.

*I would not do any of the above to a very expensive reissued telecaster. You will kill the resale value in a heartbeat.

it does not matter what Tele sound I am after- I would always replace the wiring and capacitor at a minimum. The period correct stuff is to die for. Wow.

10. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Two dead stock, third is stock, but I clipped one of two stock caps, and reverse wired the volume pot.

11. glbglb21

glbglb21 TDPRI Member

mines not even a real tele lmao so i figure why stay stock when i can get a total of at least six tone possibilities from it?
    maybe thats max?

12. Scotty 2

Scotty 2 Tele-Holic

I thought all Teles were MTM=(made to mod)

13. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Not me. I have a 2014 American Deluxe Tele that came with a 3-way selector switch / S1 switch / No load tone pot. I never liked the S1 switch as it popped ever time you pushed on the switch. I’m also not a fan of the no load tone pot. My S1 switch crapped out on me so rather than replacing the S1 switch, I re-wired my tele with a 4-way selector switch, new volume and tone pots, new capacitor, and vintage cloth wiring. This was a huge improvement. The guitar sounds better and is way more functional with the “series pickups” being in the 4th position of the selector switch vs. the S1 switch.

14. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

Telecaster, stock volume and tone controls is fine with me.

15. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

My dad always said strap locks were just a gimmick to get gullible players to squander money...... until he dropped his favorite Tele. Now that he’s passed on I’ve discovered he put strap locks on all his favorite guitars.

16. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

Over the past 10 years, I've kept my Teles wiring stock. The last time I changed wiring, was to change to a higher quality pickup selector switch, in an Affinity Telecaster I had at the time. I've done the wiring mods in the past, for extra switch combinations on guitars. It was wasted on me, since I pretty much stick to the stock pickup selection (bridge, middle, or neck), and only occasionally roll of the tone to cut down the highs. Even when I had my Baja, I seldom used to the S1 option for phased pickup sounds, or the 4th pickup selector position (both pickups wired in series as a humbucker).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.