Who here leaves their Tele controls stock?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Mike R., Jul 13, 2019.

1. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

I put in a 4 way switch and changed the cap. I also added a treble bleed. This is 72 Tele that came with 1 Meg pots from the factory, so I ditched those years ago(decades actually) The 4 way and other changes are more recent, but the pots were swapped out in 92. I change stuff on my guitars when it doesn't work for my needs. My 76 Tele Thinline is stock while the 78 Tele Custom in the thumbnail has a bunch of changes(new bridge p/u to keep up with WRHB, different pots for the bridge pickup, treble bleed circuits on both pickups, switch replaced)

2. Twelvefrets

Twelvefrets Tele-Meister

I started with a Ron Kirn 4-way switch and don’t know from that. That fourth position gets very big fat and humbuckery and yes I understand I didn’t answer OPs question.

Greggorios likes this.
  3. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes. I just leave them be.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  4. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

Quote...
    "So we’re currently in the CBS Era of G&L land then ;)"

I'd say even worse... IMO, CBS with all their cost cutting tactics stayed truer to Leo's original designs than BBE has done... at least in regards to pickup, neck and body designs.
    Oh, their ad slogan has been Leo would have wanted it this way or some crap like that... lol... as if.
    Anyway, its their business so I could give a flip. I'm happy to enjoy my old school ones and am just as stoked in that there are still heaps out there to had for a song to to speak. ;)

5. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Meister

I've been down the mod road with telecasters, strats and les pauls. It's fun but in the real world (in my opinion) the only usefull mod is the capasitor to taste and moving the tone control to the bridge of a strat. I had a les paul wired to do 23 different sounds. 18 of them were fairly useless.
    There is a lot of rock polishing that goes on with tricky wiring. When you're standing in front of a mic with four guys behind you and eight pedals in front of you, push-pulls, mini switches and all that is just another needless distraction. So, a three way on a telecaster is fine by me.
    A telecaster sounds like a telecaster, a strat sounds like a strat. Use the tools in the toolbox and don't expect trick wiring to create a "Swiss Army knife guitar". If you want a les paul jr. sound buy it. If you want strat sound, buy a strat.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    StrangerNY, stratoman1 and Vibrolux59 like this.
  6. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Yes and no. My teles are all Logan Custom guitars, so such things as pickups and switching are options for me to choose as the guitar is in the process of being built. But once the guitar is delivered to me, I've got what I wanted, am happy with what I got, so I don't change them. Or, at least, that's held true so far with all five of mine.

Well, you sorta did! :lol:

My favorite switching configuration is the 4-way. The standard 3-way is simple and cool, and that's what my first two Logan Custom teles have. But after I tried the 4-way in my third Logan tele, I liked it even more. Still really simple, the first 3 positions the same as standard, but then with the both-pickups-in-series mode. To me, it's like a clean boost with the simple flip of the switch. I now have two (Logan) teles with that switch.

7. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 TDPRI Member

I'm sure I've changed at least a cap or a pot in everything I own. Two out of six Teles have modern 3-way switching and 250K pots, one Esquire stock but changed cap values.

8. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My Fenders, no; I leave them alone. My two SX Furrians, I replaced all of the electronics with Fender switch plate and jack.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  9. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

I wired mine for no tone control on the neck pickup. I might change it back because the Bootstrap Pretzel pickups I installed have a really clear sounding neck pup.

10. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

If they are “standard modern wiring” I let them be.
    I eventually pulled out the overcomplicated harness on my Baja 60s and went traditional 3-way.
    I am considering reversing tone and volume on at least one of my teles for easier tone swells.

11. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mine is so stock — I have owned it for 3 years and haven’t even unscrewed the pickguard or control plate screws yet. It ain’t broke, so why should I fix it??

12. solarpanelasses

solarpanelasses TDPRI Member

Ive personally put a 4 way harness into every one of my single coil teles I've owned, as well as changing the capacitor to a decent oil in paper cap, the upgrade in tone, to me, is phenomenal

13. Ivorytooth

Ivorytooth Tele-Meister

Both of mine are stock and will stay that way. Baja 60s and Am Pro Tele Deluxe.

14. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

My Teles are all just as they left the factory apart from some wear n tear.

15. kbold

kbold Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Another one of those joke posts.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  16. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Stock here.

I've even bought a few with reversed control plates and flipped 'em back.

I have a Jerry Donahue Tele with a 4 way switch. I like it, but not enough to go changing any of my other Teles.

One change that I make to most of my Teles is to replace the cup jacks with electro-socket jacks.

Leo got it right... Except for the cup jack!

17. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

I usually take a look and tidy things up with plastic ties. If things are too ugly, I sometimes re-solder where needed. Fortunately I've only ever reworked Squier guitars.

18. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

A couple stock but a couple with 4way switches, one with 2xVol n no Tone, some with treble bleeds, in-line caps, 1meg pots, etc, etc. Tweak them till I get them how I want.
    All with extra space between switch n first knob.
    IMG_20190306_092015.jpg

19. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I leave all my guitars bone-stock.

As God intended them to be.

:)

20. StuartJames

StuartJames TDPRI Member

I got my squier tele rewired because the parts were old and dodgy. I put a 4 way switch in with Texas specials new pots and cap. I’m not a fan of the extra position, sounds lifeless to me. 3 positions is all I need in a Tele.

My G&L bluesboy is currently getting rewired with new pots and pickups. One of the original cheap mini pots was scratchy so they had to go.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.