Who here has modded an Epiphone Jr?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by RevMike, Dec 13, 2016.

1. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

I recently got an Epi SG Jr. I actually like it very much. Only real issue is that the tuners are garbage.

I'm looking for ideas that are as easy as possible for a non handy person like me. Please show me what you've got and how ya did it!

Here's my lil guy. [​IMG]

BorderRadio likes this.
  2. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, they have trapezoid tuners, but if you always 'tune up' they work fine.

My Epi LP Junior Mods:

-flipped truss rod cover
    -level/crown/polish frets
    -replaced the stock 9kohm humbucker with a 16kohm that I split (eBay import) for 8kohm single coil
    -push/pull tone pot to go single coil (screws on neck side)
    -push/pull tone pot also switches 0.047 or 0.023uF tone cap when coil is split
    -silver and black knobs shown here but since the picture it now has SG-style reflector hat knobs.
    -Bourns full size 500k volume pot, I would recommend this upgrade

On another of these I put in a 3-way on/on/on toggle switch to get series (LP), single (Tele), parallel (Strat #2) options.

This guitar gets more play time than most of my guitars because it's so much fun. I sought out the base chassis after seeing a Phil X Fretted Americana video on a Gibson Junior. Do some mods and you'll enjoy your guitar.

EpiLPJr_150620b.jpg

BorderRadio, RevMike and Sandhill69 like this.
  3. RevMike

The guy I got it from had a nice fret job, and set up done on it, but...with very heavy flat wound strings. I got those things off and got some Ernie Ball 10's on there PDQ. After a little tweaking the set up is darn near perfect.

The tuners just don't hold though. You know how sometimes you can feel the gears slipping on cheap tuners when you turn them? That's what's going on here. I'm thinking perhaps a new pickup too. I'm interested in the GFS Dream 180.

4. Tone Chase

Tone Chase Tele-Meister

I had the cheap Epi LP Jr with the bolt on neck. One it was set up, it was quite the versatile player. It got sold, because now I know that I want a real vintage one. A SG Jr would be nice as well.

bender66 and RevMike like this.
  5. RevMike

I'd like a vintage one too, although even a newer Gibson would be great, but that ain't in the cards for me at this juncture. This one, was a just meant to be a quick pick up and jam guitar. I was pleasantly surprised with how much I liked the feel of it. So...now I just want it to stay in tune.

6. adeiderich

adeiderich Tele-Afflicted

I have a modded Epi LP Jr. It's a fun little guitar to play, I like the light weight.

My tuners seem to hold pretty well (I also always tune up to the note) but I agree, they seem to be pretty low-end. I'm sure I will upgrade, eventually. I wired in a GFS Crunchy Pat and added a mini-toggle to split the coils. I think a GFS Dream 180 would work well and the price is right. Epi 2.jpg

RevMike likes this.
  7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've done a few mods to Epi LPJs that passed through my hands. It's always the same, a P90, 50s wiring first, a fret level, bone nut next. Full upgrades include all hardware. Haven't replaced trap tuners before, however. Only snapped a photo of one Epi, for the sale...then there are the other off-brands...

IMG_3001.JPG IMG_3002.JPG IMG_3005.JPG

8. RevMike

Wow, nice bunch there.

9. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I too just snagged a Jr off CL. Got it yesterday matter of fact. It's a Epi G-310 Jr, which is what I was hunting for. His CL pics show an EMG in the pickup route, but I could slightly see the holes where the dogear used to rest. Gotta have the P90. I was expecting a real thin neck but it's surprisingly thick(er).

Tuners are easy to find. I was wondering if something existed that had the same screw pattern as those old tuners? I'm gonna go with those green Keystone copies & reflector knobs like the 3rd pic..

Need to scrounge up another dogear somewhere.

Here's what mine looked like originally. These were manufactured from'98 into the mid 00's.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

studio1087 and BorderRadio like this.
  10. Tone Chase

Tone Chase Tele-Meister

I forgot to mention. The other contributing factor to selling off the Epiphone LP Jr. I got a great deal on one of those 2013 Gibson 'PROTOTYPE' '50's Tribute SG guitars with the two P90's.

For the price of mods, I picked up this fat 50 necked Gibson from Best Buy when it was an open box item. The only thing that I found wrong with the guitar was poor installation of strings. I did my own set up to my liking, and it has become one of my most favored guitars.

IMG_8012.JPG

I also got twice the price that I paid for the Epi LP Jr.

I could have had a deal on several 2015 Gibson LP Jr with the self tuning. I just did not like the feel of those necks (for the model year).

studio1087, bender66 and RevMike like this.
  11. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I had one of those Epi SG Jrs, it was the first guitar I successfully modded. I put decent tuners on it, copper foil sheilded it, and replaced all the electronics. I was gonna replace the bridge as well, but wasn't confident about plugging and re-drilling the post holes. I did have a pro do the frets, though. It turned out great, was light and sounded good. I'd get another if I ever saw one for sale, since there's no way I can afford 4-figures for a "real" one...
    [​IMG]

Tone Chase and RevMike like this.
  12. RevMike

That is really nice. Those are similar to the tuners I want too. Mine has an HB, and I want to change to a p90. I'd love to find some dog ear pickup rings, so it will look more authentic. I've seen them, so I know they exist, but cant find them for sale anywhere.

13. Tone Chase

Tone Chase Tele-Meister

Mine had the humbucker and I was totally impressed with the versatility. Rolling of the volume and tone knobs was a constant source of tonal reward. Very easy to find an useable tone.

RevMike likes this.
  14. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

You can fit a P90 into a HB rout, if you cut the corners a little bit[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I had a couple of those LP-jr's that I put 90's into. This pic is the 90 pushed all the way to one side of the rout
    [​IMG]
    You can "adjust" the position so the gap isn't as noticeable though
    [​IMG]
    Or, you can wire up a 3-way switch to your HB to do series/split/parallel, and get more sounds out of the HB (I did this on one, and it seemed a lot more useful than just a push/pull volume for splitting)

bender66 likes this.
  15. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

16. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

I had 4 "vintage" Epiphone G-310's from the 90's. The stock P90 was amazing but yeah the tuners are terrible. I went with Grover deluxe tuners. I've owned many Gibsons in my lifetime; the tuning has always been an issue so now I'm back to Telecasters. These Juniors are fabulous guitars though. Tons of mods you can do for cheap and I'm not mechanically inclined at all.

[​IMG]

dannew02 and RevMike like this.
  17. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have a few wraptail bridges on guitars & they mostly all suffer from slop when sitting in/on the studs. Not this Epi SG Jr. It practically snaps into the studs the fit is so tight.
    Not sure that's why it is really loud unplugged, even with the tired old used strings that it came with. I might have to put it on my Firebird.

I wish I could find similar studs with the tolerances much like this one. I'll measure the two bridges & compare. Could be the thickness of the bridge that's different.

I got a hot Buddha dogear tracked down, those green Keystone knockoffs, & some reflectors all at the ready. Someone just sent me the pg template too. Does that qualify as modding?

RevMike likes this.
  18. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

The plywood Jrs I've had, have had issues with the bridge posts "leaning" towards the nut after a while. None of the "real" wood ones have, though. My problem was I could never find a bridge/bridge studs that were "drop-in" replacements, the holes in the body were bigger than the studs themselves, or the distance between them was different, or
    The thread pitch was off. Lots different than modding a Strat, that's for sure!

bender66 likes this.
  19. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

Oh and the 90 that came with my SG-jr really was great, I had a few Jrs at the time and it was clearly better sounding than the others (other Epi 90's, a GFS 90, a "Blues Tribute" one)

20. Sandhill69

Sandhill69 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I put a GFS Surf90 in my Epi LP jr and love it...can't beat the bargain. The stock tuners have been fine for me.

RevMike likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.