who here doesn't care what their tele sounds like unplugged?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by appar111, May 12, 2015.

1. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

I've got a basement full of Telecasters and not one was purchased on the merits of how it sounded acoustically. That's not a quality I look for in an electric guitar.

So I honestly couldn't tell you which one sounds best acoustically and I probably will never run that experiment. I'm lucky if I have enough time to play the guitar sometimes.

2. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

So, where do I go to get a Norwegian Forest cat? Don't tell me Thailand! :eek:

3. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'll have to disappoint you there, Kevin ... :oops:

But you're welcome to my country anytime.;) Those cats are everywhere. With a pedigree they're expensive though. Much more than a Siamese cat.

4. Corgitodd

Corgitodd Tele-Meister

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1431641616.812603.jpg
    I've been told that my cat Kramer may be a Norwegian Forrest cat

5. Telemarkman

Judging from that pic it may well be one. They have a lot in common with Maine Coon. Probably somewhat smaller though.

6. Corgitodd

Corgitodd Tele-Meister

He was a rescue. The entire litter was named after Seinfeld characters, hence Kramer.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  7. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Source for that proposition?

8. Corgitodd

Corgitodd Tele-Meister

Tesla?

9. nattaruk

nattaruk Tele-Meister

pcolbeck is correct.
    It follows from Michael Faraday's 1831 experiments discovering electromagnetic induction, later given mathematical form by James Clerk Maxwell:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday's_law_of_induction

Motion parallel to the coil of the guitar's pickup will not induce a signal; the induced current and the motion in the magnetic field need to be orthogonal to each other.

10. Chris Browne

Chris Browne Tele-Holic

I love the way my car handles when it's sitting still!

11. MagicTwanger

MagicTwanger Tele-Meister

Hello---telecasters are ELECTRIC guitars. PLUG IT IN. Then the evaluation of how it sounds can commence. I have an amp (Twin Custom15) and a cord. What part of how it sounds is problematic to this audience. And, yes I also play a jazzbox (sometimes plugged in with a mini HB) thatis critical for the "how it it sounds unplugged". The Tele, who cares? Are you going to entertain a crowd unplugged with a Tele? Then mind-altering might ne needed.
    MT

12. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

But in the case of a guitar pickup the question is what causes the change to the magnetic field which in turn causes a current to flow in the coil. How and why does the movement of a metal string within the field of the permanent magnet change the field. Is it because as the string changes it's distance from the magnetic pole the field changes also?

13. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

Interesting thread.

I respectfully disagree that a resonant unplugged guitar measurably diminishes what is available to amplify. Notice I said measurably.

But to answer the original question, I care a lot how mine sound unplugged.
    I switched from piano to guitar at age 11, and I'm 58 now. But guess what? I still need to practice and work on stuff. Stuff that I wouldn't ask anyone else, no matter how much they love me, to listen to over and over and over and over. Do you guys really play through an amp when you are doing picking exercises, learning new chord voicings, memorizing arpeggios,scales,and modes, slogging your way through an instructional book, or any of the other drills and exercises that lead to proficiency? Have we met at Guitar Center?

I understand that we electric players play the amp just as much as the guitar, so it's important to play plugged in also. But some stuff should simply not be heard until it's ready.

I do have some wonderful acoustics, and I play them a lot too, but much of my practicing is on unplugged electrics. Plus, late at night, when Mrs. 65 Champ Amp is softly drifting off, and I lay a tele accross my belly, I love how the vibrations carry all the way up to the inner ear bones in my head and I feel the sound as much as hear it.

14. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

I do pick mine up and play unplugged sometimes. But amplification is an essential part of the sound. Playing a solid body guitar unplugged is like playing an acoustic guitar with its innards stuffed with sound deadening material. By itself it's not the true sound of the guitar.

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

The principle is a moving magnet inducing current in the coil.

But in the electric guitar pickup, the permanent magnet does not move, it magnetizes the moving string, and the string becomes the moving magnet.

16. orangedrop

orangedrop Friend of Leo's

what a cat-tas-trophe!

Would you mind explaining how a fingerboard is not structural?

I see a fingerboard as part of the system and a very stiff material like ebony will noticeably change the stiffness of a soft neck.

When the fret slots are cut too tight for the tang, a neck will tend to take on a back bow that can only be repaired by removing the frets and either shaving the barbs or widening the slots.

It sounds structural, but maybe my terms are confused.

Thanks

17. cornfed

cornfed Tele-Meister

'70s Northern Afromosian Pine soaked in bong water has an excellent natural resonance tone in cold weather, but sounds like crap in the desert.. just sayin'

18. Telemarkman

"Structural" wasn't my word, but pcolbeck's. I took him to mean that there wasn't much difference in structure or mass between maple and rosewood. I'll leave it to him to elaborate further on what he said though.

19. Lupo

Lupo Tele-Holic

That's not true. What care is the magnetic filed is that the electrical conductor is perpendicular to the magnetic filed (and this is true by design), and that the motion of the (ferromagnetic) string cross with a perpendicular component the lines of the force filed. As long as the force filed on the top of the pick-up is a bow, the horizontal motions cross them, causing a variation in the linkage flux

20. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I play my Telecaster unplugged quite a bit but I never give any thought to how it sounds when doing so.
    I have never purchased an electric guitar based on it's unplugged acoustic properties. It more about the "feel" of the guitar, i.e. neck profile, weight, frets etc. The amplified sound is function of so many variables: pickups, amps, volume/tone setting, pedals, player abilities. That's where it's at.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.