1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Who here digs on Television?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by antiuser, Sep 28, 2010.

1. antiuser

antiuser Tele-Meister

They're one of my all-time favourites. I love how Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd's guitar parts complement one another and the solos work for the songs instead of trying to outshine them. Not to mention the songwriting is brilliant.

2. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

One of my favorite bands of all time.

I was lucky enough to see Verlaine live, at a small club, back in the day. For the life of me, I can't remember if it was during Television, or just after. Either way, it was STUNNING.

3. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Great band.

antiuser... You weren't even born when I saw them in concert. ;)

4. antiuser

antiuser Tele-Meister

I wasn't born when most of my favourite bands were at their peak.

5. pasquale

pasquale Tele-Meister

Love them.

6. electricjr

electricjr Tele-Holic

Love them- LLoyd and Verlaine are 2 of my favorites. I took a lesson with Richard and it was pretty far out- he takes a philosophical approach to the guitar. Asked me to play a bit, then basically said to forget everything I've learned- he had me playing whole scales on one string, and he wrote some pretty cryptic stuff in my ledger book, I wonder if I've still got it somewhere... I love the combination of Richard's fierce and edgy playing with Tom's more arty and noodlier approach. Got to see them twice, first time was incredible, they came off much more rock and roll than I'd perceived them from recordings. The second time was their last performance in Central Park, and Richard was absent due to illness. Very disappointing- they had a well versed understudy (wish they'd have called me!) but it was obviously not what I'd hoped for.

7. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

cant forget this great song

8. Muddslide

Muddslide Friend of Leo's

Great band. Two great guitarists.

Marquee Moon
    and Adventure are, IMO, indispensable in any music collection. Just chock-full of excellent playing and great songs (my wife and I do a rather cool version of "Carried Away"--a beautiful ballad.)

I think Verlaine and Lloyd are vastly underrated. It may be because they were part of the original wave of NYC punk rock / CBGBs bands and many people write that stuff off as less-than-amateurish noise/nonsense (which is a completely off-the-mark, B.S. assessment anyway) but I do think a lot of people lump anything connected with "punk rock" in together as a bunch of snotty, two-chord bashing (of course some of it is, and some of the snotty, two-chord stuff is GREAT!) but there are so many bands that had so much more to offer and whose work reveals so much more depth and ability.

Television may well be the cream of the crop of that ilk.

9. john kleeman

john kleeman Tele-Holic

This came to my local record shop the same day as the first Boston record. I still listen to this one, though. A lot.
    The original issue had a picture inner sleeve band pic by Robert Mapplethorpe. It is one timeless rock and roll image.

10. electricjr

electricjr Tele-Holic

Funny,
    I may be one of the few people who actually give equal play time to Marquee Moon and the first Boston record (or at least openly admit it!)

11. john kleeman

john kleeman Tele-Holic

I have got to give props to Scholz for electronic genius, being my third fave power pop entity after Chris Bell and Pete Hamm, and providing financial support to many worthy causes ( hell of a nice guy). Not to mention Delp! Freakin' operatic! Have you tried to sing along with that man? Still, a Dylan impersonator gargling impressionist poetry to simple arpeggios slays me. Television was a blinding light.

12. electricjr

electricjr Tele-Holic

There you go! I'm a huge Big Star and Chris Bell fan too- and while listening to Boston in the car the other day, I realized they really were just extremely powerful pop. Also was listening to Gilder's Green last week. I guess in some weird way these guys are a bridge from Boston to Television? And then there's Dwight Twilley-

Attached Files:

13. José

José Tele-Afflicted

I bought Marquee Moon in 1979, it's still one of my favorite album. I saw them in Paris 5 or 6 years ago and Richard Lloyd played lots of guitar parts that I've always thought Tom Verlaine did. He did also a great job on Matthew Sweet record, Earth.

14. antiuser

antiuser Tele-Meister

I think Wilco's "Sky Blue Sky" was greatly influenced by Television... and Nels Cline rips it up on the leads. Especially in this track:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.