Who has the oldest house-hold appliance still in daily use?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Jul 13, 2013.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I just put some clothes in the washing machine and it occurred to me how old my washer and dryer are. I bought them in 1996, right after I moved to Nashville. And they were el-cheapo close-out specials. I got them both for $400, delivered!

I used them in the first little condo that I rented when I moved to town, then when I moved in with 3 other guys in a nice townhouse, then I put them in storage for a year when I rented an efficiency apartment, but my then girlfriend (now wife) rented a condo and needed washer/dryer, so out they came and moved into her place.... where they stayed until a year after we were married. Then they were moved into the first home we bought, then in 2007 they were moved into our current home which we built new.

Still working fine every day.

On the other hand, we bought a new refrigerator when we moved into this house in 2007, and had to replace it last year already. And it was not a cheap one - we paid $1400 for it new. It went out about 6 months after the warranty expired and the manufacturer nor the vendor would give us any help. It was going to be $700 to repair it, so we chunked it and got a new one.

My mom and dad had a refrigerator which they bought before I was born in 1972, and still used the same exact one until about 4 years ago... .about 35 years!

2. Blinky

Blinky Tele-Meister

People call it the "Hammer" and I don't know why
    1974 Chest freezer. Bought it new when we bought our house that we still live in. Still silently freezing away. Never a single repair and we actually have never defrosted it.

It will probably roll over and die now.

3. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Our house was built in 1967... we still have the original oven! In process of planning a re-model right now. (and yes, it's a very nice avocado green) :)

4. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

We just got rid of a deep freeze from the fifties. I think was General Motors. Still ran like a champ, we just needed the extra space in the furnace room more than we needed a freezer.

5. sumed

sumed Tele-Meister

In my basement workshop I have my "beverage" refrigerator... 1953 International Harvester... runs like a champ!

6. Freaky

Freaky TDPRI Member

Damn. I thought my 1955 Fridgidaire was a shoo-in. Props. Mine is also a beverage repository.

7. Big John Studd

Big John Studd Friend of Leo's

My AC compressor/condenser from 1984 is still cooling the house just fine. I have made some repairs to it, so I don't know if that counts or not.

8. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

YES! It counts as a win. One of the reasons old stuff is still running is because it was designed to be repaired...not thrown away. WIN!

9. tino7770

tino7770 TDPRI Member

My beer fridge in the garage...not elecrical but gas is a US built Fridgidaire / Prestcold...very RETRO today....not certain of age but picture show my mum with it in 1959....theres no way she could have afforded it new...so its probably earlier....does this qualify??

10. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Mrs.1952 bought her slow cooker in about 1978, still uses it today.

11. jlindseyjr

jlindseyjr Tele-Holic

I can't compete with the 50's refrigerators, but our Kenmore washer and dryer are from 1991.

12. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My kitchen cook stove/oven belonged to my Grandmother. She got it sometime
    in the 50's.
    I got it in 1991 when she passed away and been using it ever since. Don't know if I could cook with anything else.

13. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

You keep your beer in one of these? Nice.

[​IMG]

14. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

we use a hand-held chopper made by Henry Disston and Sons; I got it from my mom; she got it from her mom. I suspect that it dates from the 30's or so. It's not electric, but it sure is useful.

15. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Got a corningware hot plate given to my first wife and I by Al and Mary Hirt as a wedding present in 1966. She took everything else in the divorce but I snuck out with that. That was my stove for a few months.

16. tfsails

tfsails Friend of Leo's

I have a 1930's-vintage Sunbeam single-edge hedge trimmer that my grandfather owned, but I don't use it every day. It's made out of real steel with a bakelite handle.

Compared to modern hedge trimmers it doesn't have a lot of torque, but it still works!

17. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

1955 Kelvinator refrigerator that my parents bought new. Keep it at our summer cottage and still runs strong. That's value!

18. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

Not appliances, but -- I use vintage fountain pens every day. The oldest is probably mid-30's.

19. jlindseyjr

jlindseyjr Tele-Holic

THE Al Hirt?

20. giginthesky

giginthesky Friend of Leo's

i still use a sharp microwave oven from about 1985-86 almost every day. it was a christmas gift to my mom. when my "newer" microwave died out about a decade ago, my mom gave me this one. (she bought a new one to match her kitchen) i only expected to use this one to hold us over till we bought a new one. well, it's still holding us over!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.