Who has taken up the Jerry Jones mantle?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by micpoc, Jan 30, 2015.

1. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

Obviously, Danelectro is up and running, but I'm wondering if any small builders have taken over the Jerry Jones mission of perfecting the formica-and-lipstick-tubes approach.

2. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

I wish somebody would because the JJ guitars I've seen and played were REAL nice. Almost bought a 3 pickup Neptune, I played it in a shop, thought it over overnight and the next day it was gone. One of the employees swooped on it or it sold online overnight, I was disappointed.

3. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

I was wondering the same thing the other week, great guitars and it would be nice to see someone doing a similar thing.

Also tried a sales rep's sample of one of the Dano DC59M models yesterday, which was phenomenally good - turned it over to find a 'made in Korea' sticker on the headstock. I hope that's the direction they're going in with the official versions.

4. peterfrey2000

peterfrey2000 TDPRI Member

There is a company called Retroverb that has some baritones on Reverb.com that are comparing their guitars to Jerry Jones. Their prices look pretty high to me.

5. PhatBoy

PhatBoy Tele-Afflicted

I thought this was about the C'boys!

6. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

I've got a JJ Longhorn Bass6 which is a great instrument and I use it a lot.

I suspect they had trouble competing with the Dano reissues once they started bringing those out, even though the JJ guitars were vastly superior in quality. I'm not sure how much of a market there is for high quality repros of budget instruments when reissues of similar quality to the originals are available much cheaper.

Although the JJs are amazing, I've found the Dano reissues to be pretty good - especially for the price. Got my eye on one of the baby sitars they are about to re-issue and I wouldn't have been able to even consider getting one of the JJ models.

It looks like the Retroverbs are even more expensive than the JJs were :eek:

7. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

I love my Jerry Jones electric sitar. I have a Dano baritone guitar, which I dig, but it's definitely got some issues.

8. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

The Wikipedia entry says that "…the manufacturing equipment was sold", so someone or some entity owns the stuff to make them. Hope we see some action on it someday.

9. don

don Tele-Meister

I have 3 JJ basses - fantastic build and tone.

10. valiant

valiant Tele-Holic

XXL Guitars in Canada are Danelectro inspired instruments only they seem to take the design and idea and take it to the next level in terms of the engineering and craftsmanship.
    Basically a luthier built U2/Longhorn/Double Cut/Convertible only using quality tone woods
    and hardware with an improved neck joint and boutique Lipstick pickups.....don't get me wrong they are still a "core" with a "board" front and back and a bolt-on neck so the Dano
    principle and shape is there only they are fine luthier built instruments....the pick of the
    range apart from the Longhorn bass obviously has to be the ever cool Convertible.
    Anyway never seen one in the UK but stumbled upon them a couple of years back and think
    they are still going.....XXL Guitars have a website and there are clips on YouTube.....hope
    this helps answer the question and offers a possible cure for high end Dano fever.

11. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

I own a JJ Longhorn 4, a really cool bass & a custom Coral Dano Longhorn, with a single Hammon Darkstar. The original Reverend USA's, Spy model, had it goin' on...mine has a metal back & top, most models are Formica. Very light, lively & resonant...typically great, Reverend goodness & a fully interchangeable, loaded pickguard, should you want an entirely different voice. Most of Joe Naylor's guitar's feature his own, Reverend made pickups...all of the Spy's had Armstrong lipsticks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  12. dblues

dblues Tele-Holic

I met a builder here in Nashville a few years back who told me he bought some of JJs stuff when he retired but I haven't stayed in touch with him. Don't know what he bought.

Dano "style" is pretty simple to pull off if your so inclined. Might however, require the belief that tone fake wood matters . Here are a few tele Dano inspired Teles I did. ImageUploadedByTDPRI1455888304.914205.jpg

13. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

I have to assume you were looking for someone who builds them at a reasonable price? You can still get a JJ but you have to be patient. Oh yea ,it"ll still cost at least a grand.

14. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You mean by being crabby and rude and charging a bunch of dough for a Masonite guitar?
    I think you can buy real vintage for the same dough.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.