1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Who has purchased a Roasted Maple Neck? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by 4pickupguy, Jan 18, 2017.

1. ucnick

ucnick Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

From my Fender Modern Players Club thread: Warmoth roasted maple neck on a Fender Modern Player Tele Thinline Deluxe P-90...

2. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Holic

Bump my question ;)

3. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

...I like big frets and can’t deny...

If they don’t buzz and like the height and feel why? I would say string it up and find out... can’t add it back later.

richey88 and El Tele Lobo like this.
  4. ucnick

ucnick Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I pretty much played mine the way they were straight from the box. Later on I take the neck to a very good local luthier to roll the neck edges and hot dog the feet ends, they throw in a finishing so it all works out well.

5. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Holic

Concerning tuner bushings in roasted maple- the headstock holes are roughly 8.5 mms, the tuner bushings 8.7 mms. Am I right to enlarge the holes to 8.65 mms and push the bushings in just with my hand (and a bit of beeswax) to avoid any cracking?

6. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

Stefan, if I'm thinking right, one mm. is about .04 inches, so .1 mm is about .004", and .01 mm is .0004".

I'd have to use my micrometer for accuracy at this point! :)

I'm sure you'd be OK at 8.65 mm (.002" under size), and I believe you'd be fine with a hole diameter at 8.6 mm (.008" under size).

But really, installing bushings is more a matter of feel for me, rather than a measurement thing.

I use a 11/32" drill bit (IIRC) hand-held in a little gizmo that is like a drill chuck with a screwdriver handle to clean the hole out, and then if it still feels too snug I'll use a hand reamer to open the hole just a bit more.

You need to be extra careful with roasted wood, but you still want the bushings to fit snugly. You definitely don't want the bushings loose and rattling. :)

I wish I could give you a more definite answer, but every piece of wood is, at the least, a little different from another, even if they look the same.

Best Regards,
    Geo.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    El Tele Lobo and stefanhotrod like this.
  7. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Holic

Thanks a lot!
    Will it be a good idea to oil the inside of the tuner holes a bit?

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  8. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

You could, but I think your idea of using a little bit of beeswax (especially if you already have some) will work as well as anything else would, and maybe better, because some types of oils might stain the wood or interfere with your finish.

A little side note:

This might sound a bit strange, but what I used for the last twenty years in the carpenter trade was "wax ring" or "bowl wax". Yep, the same stuff used as a gasket between the floor flange and the bottom of a toilet :).

Bowl wax or wax ring is softer than regular beeswax, and that facilitates stuffing some of it into a short piece of tubing which you can drop into a pocket in your apron or tool belt, keeping it handy to stick a screw tip into. I never did encounter a situation where bowl wax stained or discolored any woodwork that worked on.

Bowl wax is made from beeswax plus something (I don't know what) that keeps it soft. One wax ring is enough to last most wood workers a lifetime for lubricating screws, and in a pinch it even works for lubricating taps when tapping threads into metal. It's also pretty darn cheap :).

I used a short piece of copper tubing with a cap on one end that I would periodically stuff with bowl wax and always have handy. Very handy for lubing screws if you are hanging a building's worth of wood doors and their associated hardware. It's a real pain-in-the-hind-end to bust off a big wood screw in a fancy wood door ;)!

Best Regards,
    Geo.

9. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Tele-Holic

I don’t think that’s really necessary. Probably wouldn’t hurt though.

Probably time to start my own thread...:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

10. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Holic

Thanks for all the input gentlemen!

11. catboyzee

catboyzee TDPRI Member

LOL!!!

12. catboyzee

catboyzee TDPRI Member

Just recently had a guitar build done featuring a Warmoth Roasted Maple neck. It has a very clean and clear sound with good sustain, but with a touch more warmth than a typical Maple neck. I also must admit I like the smooth, sort of road-worn feel of playing on raw wood; that has been a pleasant surprise also. My only regret is ordering it with the 1 11/16" nut width. I've discovered the spacing is too wide for my left hand; its been cramping up after extended periods of chording and soloing. I also discovered the luthier installed .011s on the build. I usually use 10-46s in a standard E tuning. I detuned to Eb which helped some. While its been interesting and insightful to play heavier strings(the tone is huge), for the health of my hands I'm gonna switch back to .010s pretty, or maybe even .009s.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    4pickupguy likes this.
  13. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Afflicted

I'm old; 9.5 does it for me.

14. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Until recently, roasted maple necks were a custom option but now I'm starting to see them more and more often on off-the-rack stock guitars.

Benefits seem to be twofold:

1/ No sticky finish necessary. If you're the type of player that likes to take a Scotch-Brite pad to the back of a new neck to get some of the lacquer off, you'll probably like them

2/ Probably good for humid environments, like the tropics or SE Asia. Most of the moisture is roasted out of the wood and so the neck might be more stable in high humidity

El Tele Lobo and RomanS like this.
  15. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I had a "torrified" maple fingerboard on my ES339 Studio. I think that's roasted maple; anyway, the feel was great and I'm looking to get another one. I prefer maple fingerboards as it is, but roasted feels a bit different and not in a bad way

16. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I will never buy a finished neck again. Its either roasted or Rosewood from here on out[emoji1318][emoji41].

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.