1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Who has purchased a Roasted Maple Neck? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by 4pickupguy, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

Music Man does it like this:

- Put a little oil on a paper towel
    - Rub it over the neck
    - rip off another paper towel
    - wipe oil off neck

Then they do the same with the gunstock wax.

I did my roasted maple neck this way and it's fantastic. It's not glossy or silky. It just makes the wood smoother, and also makes it look nicer. No need to sand, no real need for more than one coat. As you're doing it at home, instead of on a production line, you can also wait a week between oil and wax applications, but that's also unnecessary.

Roasted maple won't absorb moisture anyway, so you don't need to do this, but I guess it keeps the dirt off.

the tool likes this.
  2. bodevelho

bodevelho Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

several, I like them with tru-oil, it doesn't darken that much but it adds depth and feels nice

3. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

Ahh! i didn't know roasted maple doesn't absorb moisture :) Thats good to hear.

I don't think i will do the fretboard.... because of frets and all.

4. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Holic

My Warmoth neck arrived...

19A46AED-CC34-43DE-ACD9-158CDC6A7B21.jpeg
    AF5BA1D9-4EF2-4527-BD45-5D5FC588947B.jpeg
    ...and man, what a thing of beauty!
    Meanwhile I tend to leave the fretboard completely unfinished and treat it like a rosewood board with a bit of real fretboard oil every now and then.

Some questions (and sorry if they‘re already answered somewhere):

• My neck screws got a 4.0 mm diameter, the neck holes are 3.0 mm predrilled. Am I good to go or do I have to enlarge the holes a bit since Warmoth recommands „one size larger“ (whatever that means)?
    • Are Warmoth necks sealed in any way?
    • Will sanding change the color of the roasted maple significantly?
    Thanks for help, gentlemen!

Flaneur, BigDaddyLH and weevilcaster like this.
  5. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Stefan, that neck looks amazing — we need to see more of it!

stefanhotrod likes this.
  6. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Holic

Thanks!

AB8D1E56-F980-49B4-AFA6-17C3D84455FC.jpeg

1C56F894-C50A-4D56-A36E-F7A6B0888183.jpeg

421A9F35-6DCB-41C3-B98C-B187E4D4AA8E.jpeg

7. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Stefan, that looks great, that stripe is very dramatic. I don't know if sanding will change the appearance or not. I always clamp the neck into the pocket, before starting to put in the screws. The danger with too small holes is, if the two joining surfaces get pushed apart when the screw tip exits the body and enters the back of the neck, there will be a gap between the two when the screw is fully sunk. Continued tightening may suck the two together, but it will tear some wood fibers, weakening the wood touching the screws. It's best to size the holes in the body big enough so that you can almost push the screw right through it. The holes on the back of the neck should be smaller, about 30% smaller than the screw diameter, so the wood is compressed as the screw is twisted in. Clamping will prevent any gap from opening up. Good luck!

stefanhotrod likes this.
  8. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Its been a year (or better) now since I bought my first roasted maple neck. This thread came up in my notifications and I thought I’d give an update. The neck feels better with each passing day. Dont think I will ever buy anything else. It is much darker now than when I first got it. I love It!! IMG_0958.JPG

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  9. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Holic

The neck is superbly smooth out of the box, do I need to sand before applying Truoil or is just a naphta wipe enough?

10. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

If it's more brittle – does it break sooner e.g. if your guitar falls from a stand or is it just that you have t take more care putting screws in it?

BuckSatan likes this.
  11. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Holic

It‘s just the screws, they need proper, correct sized holes.

smallbutmighty likes this.
  12. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Tele-Holic

I ordered a Musikraft. I'll be back in ~4-6 weeks with an update. ;)

4pickupguy and stefanhotrod like this.
  13. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

It's an excellent neck material. How it plays depends on (1) your ability to order a shape and radius that works for you, and (2) how you finish it. Personally, I think EB/MM has the neck treatment absolutely nailed. Their wax/oil treatment serves as a finish (keeping moisture out, eliminating climate effects that can alter the relief pretty readily) with zero buildup and, IMO, the ideal balance of feel and speed. They are also beautiful. Some roasted necks get pretty dark and the color doesn't always fit in with the rest of the guitar.

14. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Holic

Absolutely true. The roasted necks from Warmoth are pretty dark- they look like they’re more than fifty years old. I like that a lot, but it‘s a matter of taste.

ABD8A248-3115-4CE5-9809-3ABCCEBB1AEE.jpeg

My neck fits perfectly with my faded sonic blue, nitro cracked/light reliced thinline body. Meanwhile I guess the neck will get some light coats of Truoil, nothin beats the feeling of a silk buffed Tru-oiled neck (like EB/MM), but I‘ll leave the fretboard unfinished (except every now and then a bit fretboard oil).

C0DA6EA0-69A0-4106-BBC2-70C11AF3D869.jpeg

Still unsure if I‘ll have to sand the neck before oil applying (teach me!) and a but afraid of drilling the tuner holes :rolleyes:

4pickupguy likes this.
  15. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Tele-Holic

I wouldn't sand it unless it needed sanding (which I doubt). When I did the Truoil on my last maple - I didn't sand between coats and it came out perfectly.

BTW, that is going to look killer when it's completed! What's the rest of that build entail?

16. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Slightly larger screw pilot holes and it would’nt hurt to lightly do the beezwax thing when installing them the first time. I ended up putting knife thread inserts (somestimes called softwood inserts) from McMaster Carr with really oversized holes for the inserts. I then potted them in with an epoxy. This allows me to use 10-32 aviation machine screws (MS27039’s).
    I did not finish mine at all and its doing just fine.
    I bought a one piece (no separate fret board) solid rosewood neck from Warmoth that cost me 3 times what the roasted maple did and although its a fantastics neck, I really like the roasted maple neck. Feel and weight are better IMO.

17. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Holic

Thanks! A handbuilt swampash body with a maple top (1.4 kg), angled neckpocket for a B16, ultrathin nitro lacquered. Still undecided with the Pkups, maybe Barfuss from germany, anyway vintage types, maybe unwaxed.

4pickupguy and Norrin Radd like this.
  18. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The wavy grain fooled me at first - my eyes were tricked into thinking the last 5-6 frets were scalloped.
    I currently have no "need" for another neck [pausing for laughter] but if/when I do, expect a distraught thread, asking about Roasted Maple vs All Rosewood.
    And in return, shall expect sympathetic responses, leaning towards: "aw heck - go for two..."

Peace - Deeve

19. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I can’t speak to either of those neck types…yet. But can I just go ahead and throw my vote in for “go for two”? [emoji6]

20. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Holic

Interesting answer from Warmoth:

„We recommend that if you are to finish one portion of a neck then the rest of the neck should receive finish as well. Ultimately when you apply finish to only one section of a neck you increase the chances of it warping or twisting as the rest of the neck will not expand and contract with fluctuations in temperature and humidity in the air at the same rate. Doing so would also void your warranty.“

My plan was to leave the fretboard unfinished and Truoil on the rest...not sure if the recommendation above applies also for 2-piece maple necks?
    Uh, by the way, what do you guys think about the frets:

0EC84976-6D84-4652-8673-0047F1A2E7ED.jpeg

They need a final polish of course, but do they also need (more) crowning?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.