1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Who has purchased a Roasted Maple Neck? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by 4pickupguy, Jan 18, 2017.

1. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

+1 on roasted maple from USACG. I have a one piece quartersawn roasted maple Strat neck from them. They are very reasonably priced as well.

4pickupguy likes this.
  2. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

TN9955a.jpg Here's the Warmoth pic of mine with a boatneck profile and a ziricote fretboard which is a real silky feeling wood. I finished it off with a hard burnish on the on the back followed up by two coats of Truoil, a good scrubbing with a tan (very fine) Scotchbrite, and a serious rubdown with a polishing cloth. Silky smooth and plays so very nice.

Best Regards,
    Geo.

3. Ed G

Ed G TDPRI Member

This is a bit of a vent, but on the other hand I'm open to any advice, or even a reality check on my expectations, because I may be over-reacting or being unfair just right now.

I'm a bit of a newbie. I bought a light roasted 4A birdseye maple neck from Musikraft last year. It came out fine, but in the meantime my build (my first build) had morphed into a Gonzo brasscaster build, and because I'm a bit obsessive, and a bit ambitious, I decided to put that neck aside for future use, go for maximum brass, and get another neck with that in mind. I decided upon getting a darker roasted and more figured neck, with ebony fretboard, gold evo frets, and no fret-markers or side-dots so that I could do (or try to do) my own brass inlay throughout including brass wire inlay on the headstock. I wanted darker so the brass would really pop. I've done some test runs with light and dark roasted maple, and with light roasted and low figuring the wire inlay would pop when the light hit right but otherwise was near invisible. I ultimately decided to go all out with a medium roast and intense figuring. All a bit out-there, and a big stretch for my skill level, but that's what I enjoy.

I finally saved up and placed the new order with Musikraft in March this year, no expense spared. $100 for medium roasting. $150 upcharge for their premium 5A birdsye. Another $75 for their top of the line ebony. Another upcharge for gold evo frets (to match the brass). Another upcharge for them to use their Blackguard 51 Hard-V profile on a strat neck. No side markers installed (so I could install brass markers myself after I'd scallop). No fret markers installed so I could do my own brass fret inlays. Then international shipping, and customs entry and tax charges. Not cheap, but I figure the neck is the most important part of any guitar.

It arrived last week.

The medium roasted maple seems the same, maybe a hair lighter, than the light roasted neck Musikraft supplied last year. It's much lighter than Warmoth roasted, much lighter than Allparts roasted (I seem to have accumulated parts for several year's potential builds) and much lighter than the light maple sample I got from a timber supplier to practice on.

The 5A birdseye is less figured than the 4A neck I got the previous year, it has a few light birdseyes - almost none on the front of the headstock, and on the back of the neck it is extremely uneven,- long stretches with next to no figuring, other lengths which do at least have some figuring. In fact for a while I assumed I must have cheapened out at the last minute when ordering and gone for 4A again.

Musikraft has said, and for all I know correctly, that roasting is inherently variable and this neck is truly their medium roast. Musikraft has also said that this is also definitely their 5A birdseye, and the neck I got last year must have simply been higher than normal quality 4A birdseye. In other words that I lucked out with quality.

I can't see how this new neck is going to end up, after finishing, markedly darker than the light roasted neck from last year. I can't just get a darker tint of nitro, because that's going to darken the brass inlay too much compared to the brass hardware. I can't see that I can dye the wood darker, because it's inevitable I'm going to have to do at least some patching around some of the inlay work, and those are unlikely to take dye evenly. All in all I can't see this as in any way superior figuring to the previous neck and I really can't see this as a 5A figured neck ($150 upcharge!), and it really does not seem like a medium roast. There's no fix coming from Musikraft, but if I'm being irrational and too picky, then Musikraft is in the right and I have no-one but myself to blame.

Thanks

Neck01.jpg Neckcomp1.jpg Neck07.jpg Neck08.jpg Invoice MK.png

4pickupguy likes this.
  4. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have never bought a Musikraft product but I here mostly positive things. Man, you really ordered a nicely spec'd neck!! I hope you are able to use it for your build. Visiting the sites this is what I found regarding warranty policies of both. I used to build guitars at a music store in the 80's using Mity Mite products, once we found Warmoth we never looked back. I have since built guitars using only Warmoth bodies and necks (not counting my Walmart guitar lol) I have never got a body or neck I have had to return. Usually a phone call to a service dept will go a long way. I would love to see that guitar when finished. Good luck!!

Warmoths warranty policy seems fair enough.

Necks:

Our necks are warranted to be free of defective materials and workmanship for up to two years from the date of purchase. Necks that require a hard finish, and that are finished by the purchaser will be covered for one year providing the application and type of finish used is deemed satisfactory by Warmoth Guitar Products, Inc. The warranty will be void if the neck does not get a hard shell finish in 30 days of delivery. We do not consider oil finishes or poorly applied wipe-on finishes adequate protection. Necks with shafts of Rosewood, Ebony, Pau Ferro, Bocote, Ziricote, Bubinga, Purpleheart, Padouk, Goncalo Alves, Satine, Roasted Maple or Wenge do not require a hard finish.

Warmoth Guitar Products, Inc. may not be held liable for any work done on merchandise later found to be defective, nor may modified parts be accepted for refund or exchange. Warmoth necks are carefully crafted from the finest materials. If treated properly, they should last for many years of playing enjoyment.

Please read through the following tips to help avoid any unnecessary heartache:

Before you drill, file, paint or otherwise modify your new Warmoth neck, please inspect it for any flaws or discrepancies. Be absolutely sure that your neck is correct for your application. Check it all out, before you proceed.

1. Is the fret size as ordered?
    2. Is the nut width as ordered?
    3. Is the neck profile as ordered?
    4. Does the scale length match your old neck?

When checking the fit between the body and the neck, please remember to allow for the thickness of the finish on both the body and the neck. Very tight fits are not necessary and will probably chip the finish. Be aware that the neck heels and the neck pockets are tapered. DO NOT slide the neck in from the end of the neck pocket. Instead, slide the neck in down from the top.

For low action, new necks will usually require the fret leveling or dressing operation. This is not normally done until after finishing is completed. We suggest that this be done by a knowledgeable guitar tech/luthier.

Warmoth necks are intentionally milled with an under bow (string relief) which is apparent when the truss rod is slack. Tightening the truss rod will straighten the neck and can even pull it backwards if it is too tight. DO NOT leave the truss rod tensioned when the neck is unstrung as this may cause a permanently back bowed neck.

To adjust the truss rod, turn it clockwise to tighten or straighten, and counterclockwise to loosen or create more bow. If the adjustment seems overly hard, check the adjusting nut by removing and examining it for lubrication. Paraffin or grease should be apparent on the threads. If not, then lubricate the threads lightly.

Eyeballing the fret plane is a difficult, if not, impossible task. The compound radius finger board creates an illusion of a twist. To be properly examined, a straight-edge is necessary. This is best left to knowledgeable guitar technicians.

Musikrafts: (Also seems fair enough)

Warranty:

Our basic warranty is 90 days for defects in material or workmanship for bodies and hard finished necks. All items shipped to you from Musikraft should be inspected upon receipt. We will gladly accept the return of products that are defective due to an issue in manufacturing and/or workmanship for 90 days from the date of receipt. If we ship an incorrect product to you by accident, we will accept a return within 30 days from the date of receipt. Necks purchased without a finish applied (Raw Wood) are covered for a period of 30 days from the date of receipt. If we ship a neck (Raw), any issues resulting from atmospheric conditions, i.e. warp or twist, are not covered, regardless of the perfect climate conditions you claimed the neck was kept in. Any returns must be preapproved and a Return Authorization Number must be issued. This number must appear on the outside of the box that you are returning your item in. All returned items must be in ORIGINAL, UNALTERED condition. There may not be any modifications such as finishing, fret leveling, staining, routing, adjustments, etc.

Ed G likes this.
  5. Ed G

Ed G TDPRI Member

Thanks 4Pickupguy, if I ever manage to finish the build it should be something else. Not necessarily good... but very me! I don't know what I'm going to do with the neck. It's not defective, and Musikraft says that is their medium roast and 5A birdseye, so there's no warranty claim. No point trying to on-sell it, - the amount I'd get would be laughable.

I'll probably end up designing another build around it down the track because it is a nice neck, just not at all what I was expecting or right for wire inlay (the wire is a fraction of a mm thick), and start saving for another neck for this build.

I'd already resigned myself to trying to make a brass bullet nut (I stripped one down and had it gold plated, but it didn't match the brass, and so far as I can tell none of the fender style bullet nuts have ever been brass under the plating, - supposedly at one point the Allparts ones were, but their current one's are not), and if I make it long enough I could probably drill out a Warmoth or USCAG neck to take the bullet nut. It won't have the huge-v back profile, but both seem to do nice assym back profiles. Ohhhh, or I could try reshaping a neck.... yay!

Ed

4pickupguy likes this.
  6. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Holic

Am I right, a one piece roasted maple neck doesn‘t need any finishing? What about Truoil on neck (buffed to silk) and fretboard (glossy)? I guess that would be awesome for my recent Thinline project:

1F0124EF-1E75-403E-8667-FF87E7CD1B38.jpeg

7. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, it doesn't NEED finishing, but that doesn't mean you can still do it, if you want. The oil will probably make the wood even darker than it already is.

stefanhotrod likes this.
  8. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

If you don't seal it with something, it will eventually turn gray, sorta driftwood color. A few rubs with Tru-oil or Tung oil will darken it a bit, but will also preserve it, by keeping moisture and dirt from getting into the wood pores.

Most people use nitro or poly because ther're durable and look nice.

stefanhotrod likes this.
  9. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

yum!

[​IMG]

4pickupguy, pelle31 and stefanhotrod like this.
  10. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Holic

Thanks, I like the look and feel of Truoil on necks. The roasted maple necks look nicely aged (not reliced) and I guess Truoil adds that lovely vintage sheen on those necks.

11. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

With tru-oil and gunstock wax:

E579C275-670C-47AE-AA8A-9AD1D6F42484.jpeg 4FC6127C-EC19-48B7-A716-0DCAF10FC2D2.jpeg 7C834171-2BEC-499F-92C5-B9A34B212020.jpeg

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  12. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

awesome thread!

I just recieved a warmoth roasted maple/maple neck.
    59 roundback.
    Modern construction.
    1-11/6 width.
    6150 frets
    10-16” radius
    Undinished

It feels and looks great.
    I intended to go undinished but im now curious after reading this thread as to what the Tru-oil, danish oil and stuff does. Is it like a real finish? Is it permanent?

I do have quite sweaty hands so i have a worry about what will happen to the neck after i have played it for some time.

Is it good to use tru-oil to protect it?

13. Scottz

Scottz Tele-Holic

I put a Warmoth roasted maple neck on an 87 MIK E10 strat a couple of months ago, it's a great neck. I haven't applied any finish to it.

IMG_20180516_180252.jpg

esetter, smallbutmighty and ebb soul like this.
  14. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

My roasted neck is lighter, more stable, no need for tint, and quartersawn to boot. Allparts.

weevilcaster and 4pickupguy like this.
  15. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

The roasted ones are especially delicious.

16. 4pickupguy

I have had the neck I bought at the beginning of this thread on my guitar for a year now and I REALLY like it. Very stable, and it has taken on a very cool looking petina. Its darker and shinier where I play it. This would be the only maple fret board neck I would buy.

smallbutmighty likes this.
  17. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I have one roasted neck on my SG, my 339 is a torrified neck. I think it's pretty much the same process. I like them well enough .The SG is a 2012 so it has a few years on it, the 339 is a 2014 but it honestly looks brand new

18. old crow

old crow TDPRI Member

I put a 1/4 sawn allparts roasted maple neck on my pine body, installed
    a set of Cavalier Lions and was blown away. Just nailed that black guard sound.
    Couldn’t be happier, in fact, I have another one coming for my 73 Strat.
    I’ll use it as a replacement, while the orig is being refretted.

4pickupguy likes this.
  19. 4pickupguy

I hear ya! It’s a special thing to have Cavaliers in a responsive chunk of wood.... This is the only thing I have recorded with mine. This is the neck I bought earlier in the thread.... and the Walmart guitar it’s mounted to.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    vhilts1 and El Tele Lobo like this.
  20. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

I bump myself here.
    I would like to know from the experienced here more about the tru-oil effect on roasted maple.
    A friend at work is a hunter so he gave me some tru-oil.
    Before i do anything i would like some feedback though.
    I dont want a glossy neck, the roasted maple neck feels great but i have very sweaty hands and when i play it usually is for 3-4 hours. And the last thing i want is to feel sticky like the poly neck i have now.

So my thought is to use the tru-oil at least on the back of neck.
    Apply a few coats and then sand to satin/matte finish?
    Does it make sence to put it on the maple fretboard to?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.