1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Who has purchased a Roasted Maple Neck? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by 4pickupguy, Jan 18, 2017.

1. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Looking for a quality neck for cheapo guitar and I like the fact that the Warmoth Roasted Maple necks require no finishing. They are also reasonably priced (for Warmoth) at $197 - $210 for Rosewood fretboard models. I like the way they look too.

Who has purchased a Roasted Maple Neck? How do you like it? Did you finish it?

2. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

I purchased one, like it a lot; mine is unfinished; I've only had it for about two months, though, can't comment on long-term quality...

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Roasted maple + rosewood board? I thought the whole thing was to obviate the need for rosewood.

In any case, I'm interested in it as more eco-friendly alternative to rosewood.

weevilcaster and 4pickupguy like this.
  4. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I have a roasted maple neck on a Tele-partser. I got it from Musikraft. I finished it with nitro. Hard to say what benefit I'm getting from the roasting, but it's a nice comfy neck, zero issues.

pedro58 and 4pickupguy like this.
  5. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I prefer a lightly sautéed maple neck to a roasted maple neck.

6. 4pickupguy

Mmmmm roasted maple though...[emoji39]

Website says it was to add an eco alternate to finishing and is more stable. Besides, Warmoth participates in Source Renewal & Management program and it is certainly reflected in their prices now.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  7. revcharles55

revcharles55 TDPRI Member

I have the Fatback Roasted Maple one piece with 6100 SS frets, 9.5 Radius Vintage Modern, Love it to death, can't play any other neck. Once you go fat you can't go back... And it feels incredibly sexy, especially after you burnish the neck...

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  8. fordfanjpn

fordfanjpn Tele-Holic

I have a Musikraft roasted maple neck. I love it. It feels and plays great. Musikraft did a great job on the frets. I basically just put a nut on it and it was good to go. For some reason it has a very warm, comfortable feel. Probably my favorite neck right now.

Nick Fanis, pedro58 and 4pickupguy like this.
  9. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

I have one on a Music Man Valentine and it's amazing. Best neck I have. It's lively, bright yet warm, and the gunstock oil finish feels great.

I've been playing it since the summer and I still like to just run my fingers up and down the back. Maybe that's too much information?

4pickupguy likes this.
  10. Jumbotronic

Jumbotronic Tele-Meister

I've got a Warmoth one-piece maple neck. Feels very slinky, and seems quite stable. I was surprised that I can bend it, though.

4pickupguy likes this.
  11. Rich B in Tempe

Rich B in Tempe Tele-Holic

I just dont like the dark brownish color of the roast! I dont know which company started the trend(Warmoth?), but its just a way to get around properly seasoning their wood. Warmoth stamps the little phrase " no guarantee without a hard finish" Ive used unlacquered necks all my life, use tung oil instead, never had a problem neck ever!!

P Thought likes this.
  12. Rich B in Tempe

Rich B in Tempe Tele-Holic

13. 4pickupguy

I love the dark look. The roasting brings out the details of the grain.
    This is an example that I think looks pretty nice and its a reasonable $197. My #1 has a solid, one piece rosewood neck that is unfinished. I love the feel of unfinished wood for a neck. The roasting makes it stable enough on its own to do this. Nothing but trust in Warmoth stuff. I'm gonna have to sell a guitar to fund this one.[emoji19]

[​IMG]

14. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

The biggest aspect I notice is how light it feels.
    You can 'tap' on it, like they do judging wood, and it is different than its non roasted counterpart.
    How this translates sonically could be a monkey brain thing, not shure.
    Something.
    More 'snap'?

4pickupguy likes this.
  15. Widerange Hum

Widerange Hum Tele-Holic

I have several, and they're great. I just wax them lightly, and they feel great.

4pickupguy likes this.
  16. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

I have a couple of 'em handmade here in the Philippines and I'm very impressed at how stable they are! BTW, some AllParts roasted necks start at 180 USD on Ebay.

weevilcaster and 4pickupguy like this.
  17. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I have a one piece roasted maple Musikraft neck. I like it a lot better than the canary and wenge Warmoth necks that I've had. I just used some Danish oil on it, but I don't think it really soaked in because of the sealer on it. I still add a little to the back of the neck every once in awhile after cleaning.

pedro58 and 4pickupguy like this.
  18. steam-powered

steam-powered Tele-Meister

Having bought around 7 or 8 necks from Warmoth, I can honestly say that the roasted maple is my favorite. Although not needed, I had it finished with clear gloss. Visually, the darker color gives it the look of a fifty year-old maple neck. As far as neck profiles, the 59' roundback is easily my favorite, but that's a matter of personal preference, as well as the 1 5/8" nut and 6105 fretwire. What keeps it from being

Today I'll be finishing a new parts-caster based on a late '55 tele (just need to adjust the neck pickup height and install the pickguard). Wired it up last night and even thought it's new it plays very easily and, by far, looks nicer than any other neck I've owned.

RomanS and 4pickupguy like this.
  19. 4pickupguy

Ooooh ooh! That sounds wonderful! Please post some pix!

20. steam-powered

steam-powered Tele-Meister

Looks like I hit enter before finishing the last paragraph. :oops:

I meant to write that what keeps it from being a true 55-clone is the neck radius: Once I tried Warmoth's compound radius (it gets more flat as you play down the neck) it instantly became my favorite. For reference, I've owned fatback, boatneck, and standard thin necks with straight 7.25" and 9.5" radius.

cabra velha and 4pickupguy like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.