Who has had the biggest impact on country music in the past 20 years?

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
You have some good arguments here…and I’ll add this:

Taylor Swift actually has some talent and a good amount of ability as a singer, songwriter and performer. I’m not a big fan of mainstream country or mainstream pop (of which she belongs to both), but when I left my mind open and listened with honest ears, I actually like quite a few of her songs…will I stream a whole album in a row? Probably not—but I don’t go diving for the changer upon the start of one of her songs.

While she has been mocked for using her various love affairs and writing songs that seem to tap directly into the thoughts of girls and young women—but what do we expect? She is a young woman—only recently entered her 30’s…she’s just writing what she knows.
That’s what I’m thinking. It’s not really what I’m listening to. But she shook the industry in a way similar to how Garth Brooks shook it. My opinion only. But country (meaning the popular modern Nashville sound, current generation and successful enough to be considered influential) is shaped by Brooks and Swift even though we could say others are also doing their own thing. But last 20 years it’s got to be Swift as the biggest change engine. My opinion.

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

Not a band.
Not a singer.
Even songs have been written about it.

The Solo Red Cup!
The biggest impact on Country Music in the last 20 years.

iu

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the band Alabama.

They first disbanded in 2004, but they were doing the Big Rock Show years before Garth Brooks. They had 40+ number one records. I think they are considered the most successful band in the history of country music.

They got back together in 2010 and are back to playing their brand of country that combines trad country, rock, bluegrass and gospel. They are an extremely talented bunch.

middy

Friend of Leo's
"whoever is making money"

since 2000

Sam Hunt
Shane McAnally
Miranda Lambert
Carrie Underwood
Luke Bryan
Jason Aldean
Blake Shelton
Luke Combs

you can't find country music
on country radio

many boys out here are into metal
That’s another rant. “Metal” anymore bears no comparison to Sabbath or Priest and is mostly unlistenable to me, although there are a few good bands.

willholt92

Tele-Meister
I don't listen to much country to be honest, I'm blues through and through, but started listening to Chris Stapleton (after learning he uses a 6G2 Princeton, anyone who uses one of those knows a thing or two) and I really like his stuff. I guess he's been an artist rising in the past 20 years.

Tennessee Whiskey is so so good.