1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Who has/had a professional license?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mjark, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

I don't have any license beyond my regular driver's license (non-commercial).

Ironically, I used to write lessons and exams for physician continuing medical education programs. So, even though I have never held a professional license, doctors would take my classes to maintain their own professional licenses. Life is funny like that sometimes.

2. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a (still) valid teacher's license which I got back in 1972. Last time I taught school was back in 1979. I was the principal in a K-9 (kindergarden to grade nine) two-room school with seventeen students. I taught ten students in grades five to nine.

This was in a remote village accessible only by boat, helicopter or float plane. Teaching was the most rewarding, satisfying job I've ever had. I dropped out of university after a couple of years; without a degree, the only teaching jobs I could get were in places which weren't a first choice (or maybe even a second or third) for those with a Bachelor of Education degree.

I ended up in construction and retired as a Boilermaker back in 2015. I'm 70 now. No regrets though. I made it to retirement and I'm in reasonably good health. I will say though that I was not really qualified to be a teacher back in those days; no 'life experience'. But in the years since, I attended the 'school of life' and I am 'now' qualified to be a teacher. If I had only known then what I know now.

That Cal Webway and Mjark like this.
  3. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

There was a time I could have easily passed the PE exam. I worked with a guy who wouldn't sign anything due to the liability.

4. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Sounds like the same license my wife has. I've estimated she's done over 20,000 cases in her career so far. Hard to get, and cost and CEU's are not trivial.

rangercaster likes this.
  5. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Tele-Holic

In 1994 (yes 26 years ago) I became a UK Chartered Engineer and Member of The Institution of Mechanical Engineers, both of which mean I once held the equivalent of a US Professional Engineer (PE) licence. I let them lapse in the 2000s because I was working overseas and didn't have a UK bank account, and the Institution, at the time, wouldn't process foreign debit or credit cards. Big mistake as getting them reinstated nowadays either means having a masters degree or going through an exhaustive "grandfathering in" process.

The wife wants me to get my Texas PE licence, but I'm ambivalent. I don't want to have to sit all the exams (I've forgotten all of my calculus for starters) so unless I can get "grandfathered in" that's not going to happen. There's also the question of legal liability in the US. A PE can be held liable in the US. In the UK it's always the employer, not the employee, who is liable if something goes badly wrong. You might get fired but you won't be sued.

Oh, and in previous lives I've held all the offshore survival and helicopter escape certificates I needed for the offshore oil industry. Nowadays that industry requires more certificates than there are boy scout badges. Certification has become an industry in and of itself. Not playing.

Texas, by the way, requires a licence to cut hair, I was once told.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  6. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hahaha
    I love self-deprecating!

7. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Telefied Ad Free Member

I used to be a qualified Mechanical Draftsman, now I have a forklift ticket.

8. gavvino

gavvino TDPRI Member

I have a Professional License in Education

9. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Haha!!
    As a nurse (retired now) monitored and adjusted propofol infusions many a times in icu

10. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Tele-Meister

Electrician.

The State always wants their 'cut'.

The joke is on them though. I have literally made hundreds of dollars over the years. Cah-ching.

tubegeek likes this.
  11. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Holic

I have a license to shoot various projectiles from various platforms and explode things on taxpayers money. It was fun when I was younger, nowadays... meh. I leave it to those who are young and keen.

12. oldgofaster

oldgofaster Tele-Meister

State Licenses, but my county of residence has few inspections or permits, etc. required. Commercial is inspected.
    Plumbing
    HVAC
    Backflow
    Fire Sprinkler
    Refrigerant Tech
    EPA Class A water tech
    Water System Installer

Required to get many CEUs each year.

13. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

I have a professional engineers license, PE. As mentioned before it's not easy to get. Many I knew never passed the examination.

14. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Formerly a member of the Institute of Management Services, a certified Project management professional with COSHH, confined spaces, and site safety certification.

These days just a TV licence, driving licence and DBS certificate to allow me to work as a volunteer mathematics tutor at my local school.

15. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Retired instructor. PADI #42017
    Total logged dives 12,423. First dive was 5/4/68. Did my 50th anniversary dives with my BIL (which I certified) in 2018

tery and Recce like this.
  16. gpilgrim

gpilgrim TDPRI Member

I have a project management certification called a CAPM which a former employer paid for me to get. It's about to expire and I'm going to let it - it's not worth the hassle of the continuing ed.

I'm licensed to officiate swim meets in the high school, NCAA and USA Swimming federations. It's a fun sideline.

17. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Licenses ???

Who needs them???

Or badges...

18. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Tele-Holic

TV licence?

I only ever kept a photocopy of one since all they ever showed were repeats anyway. :)

aging_rocker likes this.
  19. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Tele-Holic

A former North Sea diving support vessel skipper once said (of his ship's master's licence) "it wouldn't be worth having if it wasn't difficult".

boris bubbanov likes this.
  20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have the License to bore the pants off people.

That's really what Lawyers do, that aggrieves people. The lying? That's done by the clients, and you all know it.

SuprHtr and tery like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.