1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Who has/had a professional license?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mjark, Jun 30, 2020.

1. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Holic

Ooh, black and shiny. I drove for them for a short time in the ‘90s.

Another fellow CDL holder (retired).

Bedder18 likes this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I used to be licensed to haul, but not anymore, sometimes I wish I were, but at my age, hmmm, look out!
    upload_2020-6-30_17-22-49.png

tery and telestratosonic like this.
  3. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

"aging_rocker, post:
    Had a dog license once, when I had a dog.

Would you guys quit bragging? As you can see, Duke only has his learners permit.

aging_rocker likes this.
  4. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Holic

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    I have a license to put folks to sleep and keep them alive and comfortable while someone else cuts on them to rid them of their disease state or cosmetic insufficiency or other ailments.. My license also requires me to wake them up. Batting a thousand so far after twenty years! Knock on wood...

5. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Back in Dallas, when I worked in broadcasting because of my FCC ticket and what I did, I was considered a broadcast engineer. I got a cease and desist letter for using “engineer” in my title. I asked why and I was told I wasn’t a member of whatever “association” they represented. But for an initiation fee of $750.00 and an annual fee of $250.00 I could call myself an “engineer”.
    I, not do politely, told the voice on the phone to bumble off, bite me and some other choice observations. Turns out the association was not credited by the State of Texas and it was a scam trying to intimidate folks to pay up to join. Two of the folks involved were tried, found guilty of fraud and spent a few years in a federal penitentiary

When I retired from broadcasting I opened a company called Broadcast Engineering & Production Services. I sold the company in 1992 when I made the decision to move full time to the Caribbean

tubegeek likes this.
  6. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

I was a NH Certified alcohol and drug abuse counselor. When I moved to Vermont I was certified there. When I worked at the Vermont State office of alcohol and drug abuse programs I essentially came up with a licensing law that was acceptable to all involved. My license # was 000002, there was a fellow in the office who had been around longer than I. He has #1.

rangercaster, tubegeek and Mjark like this.
  7. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Damn!

8. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Medical License since 1978. $825 every two years

9. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Tele-Holic

Middle name is James too ;-)

rangercaster and telemnemonics like this.
  10. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I read somewhere that at the peak 17% of workers in the US were members of labor unions. Now, union members are about 3% of the workforce but about 17% of the workforce holds occupational licenses.

11. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Yet another FAA A&P. Light A/C and turbine light Helicopters. Thankfully, got away from all that in the early 80s.

I flew from age 16 to 22 on a student permit. Never got my license. Owned my own A/C, etc. Very 'grass roots'...

LOL, my uncle learned to fly before WWII, flew as a corporate pilot for a major company. Taught himself to fly a Bell 47 heli. He had the nose gear on the corporate jet collapse on his foot (he said it "felt funny on the last landing, so I walked to the nose and gave it a shake...crushed my toes!"). When the "incident" was investigated, it was found that he'd never had a pilot's license...but logged tens of thousands of hours over 40 yrs.

12. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Pharmacy; retired. Later got into hospital administration and haven’t practiced pharmacy in many years. I’d be a menace to society if I was placed in a drug store today.

13. Patton

Patton Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Another CDL class A here.

Haven’t driven for a job since the 90’s but not letting it go.

14. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

About 25 years ago I was on the road with a band, and as we crossed into Indiana we couldn't help noticing a large concrete building with "FIREWORKS" painted on the side. Of course, we stopped. After loading up a basket with firecrackers, bottle rockets, mortars and such like, I headed to the register.

"Sir, are you a licensed Fireworks Operator in the state of Indiana?" the clerk asked.

"Uh, no. Do I have to be?"

"Yes sir, the state of Indiana requires that anyone purchasing fireworks be a licensed Fireworks Operator."

At this point I felt kind of dumb for not having seen the sign on the door that the clerk was pointing to. Seeing my disappointment, he continued-

"Sir, would you like to become a licensed Fireworks Operator in the state of Indiana?"

"What does that involve?" I asked.

"You are required to pay a $5 licensing fee and fill out a form" he said, placing the form on the counter.

"Ok, sure" I said, and took the pen he was offering to begin filling out the form. However, the clerk continued-

"Sir, you should know that even though the state of Indiana requires me to collect a completed form from you as part of the licensure process, it does not require me to verify the information on that form in any way."

I thought about this for a second.

"So, you're saying that if I wrote down my name as Bill Clinton of Washington DC, that would be OK?"

"Yes sir, mister President" he replied.

So, that's how I acquired an official State of Indiana Fireworks Operator's License in the name of William Jefferson Clinton of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC.

15. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I also had a baby CDL (class B). The drag with that was the fact you could get popped for DUI with a .02 BAC (essentially ANY detectable amount of alcohol) even in your personal vehicle. I was 22 when I got it, so at the time it was kind of a crimp in my social life.

I later heard that the company I was working for at the time had since acquired semi trucks in addition to the straight trucks I'd driven. "So you guys had to get your class A licenses, huh?" I asked. "Nah," the guy told me. "We never bothered. We even have some guys driving who don't even have a class B."

Be careful out there, folks.

16. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think your the first to list scuba. I had, actually still have NAUI.

17. Allen Peterson

Allen Peterson Tele-Meister

I am licensed by the Texas Board of Professional Geoscientists and the Louisiana Board of Professional Geoscientists.
    I am also a certified genealogist by the Board for Certification of Genealogists (BCG). I am accredited by the International Commission for the Accreditation of Professional Genealogists (ICAPGen).

18. znanjeiimanje

znanjeiimanje TDPRI Member

I still have CPA and ACCA, was quite useful to pay for my hobbies.

19. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I once held a commission from the National Board of Boiler & Pressure Vessel Inspectors, issued in Tennessee. Later I had a PE in the State of Georgia, but I let it lapse because I didn't want to lie about my continuing education units on my renewal. That was in 2002, about 12 years after I got the PE. For a while there, Georgia would let me renew if I paid $2000/year for each year that it had lapsed. What a bargain! I think when I took the exam, the cost to apply was $27.

rangercaster likes this.
  20. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I had to have a state issued license to tend bar in New Mexico. That was the mid 90’s. Not sure if they still require it.

I had to have a state issued license to sell motorcycles in Colorado. Not a dealer license, that was on the dealer. I had to be personally licensed as a sales person.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.