Who has/had a professional license?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mjark, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Unixfish’s thead got me thinking. Is it for a occupation wherein its important or more of dubious revenue generator for a state?

I was licensed to handle insurance claims in several states once upon a time. Only one of which required a test. Another wanted fingerprints which seemed odd.

At least one required continued education which was taught by William Macy’s brother. He was nowhere near as charismatic.

2. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

I've had a Real Estate and Insurance License. Didn't end up using either. They weren't hard to attain, this was 25 years ago. Basically self study then take a test.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  3. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Commercial Drivers License : 80,000 pounds at 65 MPH through your neighborhood .

4. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

I was a CPA during the 90s, but by the time I got certified, I wasn't doing auditing anymore...

rangercaster likes this.
  5. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

I had a 1 day fishing licence back in 1979.

Caught a fish, took it home, cooked & ate it.

Me done for life.

6. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

I've had a UK Civil Aviation Authority Aircraft Engineer's Licence since 1986 and added a few ratings along the way. It took a lot of hard studying and I should have kept going for more instead of sticking with piston-engined aircraft. The big money's in jets and turboprops but I had a lot of fun with four-strokes in various places.

7. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I do. It took me many years of training to get, and I have to maintain it yearly. Trust me, you don't want my line of service with someone unlicensed. Unless, maybe you do. It's your money, and all. The unlicensed person would be committing illegal fraud. But that's beside the point, right? You're the consumer, so you are free to choose whatever "expertise" fits your agenda.

Have a nice day. :)

8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Commercial license Hazmat, and Triples endorsement. 160,000 lbs. down the mountain, EVERYBODY look out below!

upload_2020-6-30_8-54-23.png

9. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

NJ DOE teacher's license

NJ Professional Librarian's Certificate

HAM license

Federal Firearms License

...the list goes on...

10. Twang-ineer

Twang-ineer TDPRI Member

I have a few.

It is not just about things that could be shady or high profit. Sometimes it is really more about risk mitigation.

Engineering related and backed by professional organizations. In my world it is really a "minimum barrier to entry". You can use unlicensed engineering services.... but do you really WANT to? It provides a bare minimum level of competency within the marketplace that a client can use to judge the quality of an engineering firm (in my case). Things still need to meet any federal, state, local or other standards/criteria specified by the client. But many things in high tech are just "best practices" so no hard and fast rules per se. To put a light on how different credentialing processes are. One certification took $3,500 worth of online classes and a solid year of 20+ hours a week to prepare for. It has an 80% fail rate for the first time most folks take it and many folks simply never pass. I passed it on my third try. My boss gave me three days off and a bonus as reward for the work. I hold two other licenses that took roughly half that time. Currently working toward a 4th credential.

Yeah, I also have to do a total of 120 hours of certified education a year to maintain the certs/licenses I have got. So, it is never ending re certification

tubegeek and nojazzhere like this.
  11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I had a Teacher's Certification. It's actually easy to meet the qualifications.....much harder to do the job. The overall concept of certification for any occupation (maintaining standards and regulating practices) is a good one, IMHO. But the reality is often completely different. I'm of the opinion that, in teaching, you're either BORN one or you're NOT. Some techniques can be learned and acquired......but "temperament" is innate.

12. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have had a Commercial Driver License for over 30 years. I had a blasting license issued by the State of Colorado but I no longer do that. Blast! Oh, TGT's post reminded me that I'm licensed as a preacher or something by the Unitarian Church. By law, I can perform weddings. If anyone needs that service... call me

13. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I’m ordained and licensed by the state of Tennessee to do weddings. I’ve done a few. It’s like being a referee in a sports game, in that everyone is best served if no one remembers you at all.

When I agree to perform a wedding ceremony, I have a few documents that I ask the bride and groom to sign, and I go over the things that I will be responsible for, and the things they will be responsible for. I drill it into the bride and groom over and over that they MUST go get a marriage license from the state, and they MUST have it with them on the day of the ceremony. No exceptions. I cannot do the ceremony if they do not have a license.

So the very first thing I always do when I show up for the ceremony is ask to see the official marriage license from the state. If they cannot produce it, nothing moves forward.

One wedding I did, the groom told me that he left the marriage license at home, which was an hour drive away, and we were only 90 minutes from the start of ceremony. Too bad for them. The father of the bride asked me to just go through the motions and sign the document later - but I explained to him that I cannot ethically do that if I have not actually seen the license. Everyone "assured" that they really did have it... but this is something that I cannot bend on.

Finally, someone drove to go get the license. They showed back up with the license. It was all crinkled and had a big shoe-print on it. Looked like it had been on the floorboard in someone's back seat for a month. But hey - there it is. So I did the ceremony... an hour late. A lot of people were upset at me, but I was ok with that. I cannot say "I pronounce you husband and wife" if there is no legal document to support it.

14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Hahahahahahaha license!

Right now I don't even have a drivers license because it expired and the RMV closed.
    I have a pretty long history of doing stuff that requires a license, but without having the license.
    Plumbing, electrical, fishing, driving, hunting, all unlicensed.

I did get a lobstering license circa 1970 when the State decided to only allow grandfathered lobstering licenses, due to over fishing.
    Didn't own a boat but my best friend had one we went out in a lot and pulled his few traps.

Oh I guess I also illegally took lobsters from traps washed up on the beach in storms, without a license.

Rode unlicensed dirt bikes on the road now and then and only got nabbed once, now you have to register a dirt bike even if you only ride on your own property. Can no longer fire a gun on your own or public property in my town, though there's a police firing range I'm told I could use. Neighbors are unhappy that all the shooting in town happens behind their home.

Shoot, maybe this is banned stuff?
    Not commenting on the existence of licensing!
    Just answered the question to the best of my ability...

WRT weddings, I've often thought it would be a fun job, and am good at pulling together multiple subs in the midst of turmoil while not getting upset by others being upset.
    Doing my own wedding including fixing half a dozen major mishaps in the final days and hours didn't bother me, and was really fun overall. It was non traditional and many relatives didn't see how it could work, yet 80 people had a blast with a new experience.
    AFAIK there's more money in weddings than construction, and it's easier on your back!

Just need that pesky license...

15. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I had a license in the medical field.
    Five years after I retired I decided not to renew it because I had no intention of ever returning to work, even part time. The state wanted $50 to inactivate the license at the time of my renewal so I just didn't renew it. I never completed the process on-line. It made absolutely no sense.

I have forgotten so much from simply no longer using my knowledge on a regular basis, let alone know of any of the new treatments, precautions, etc or best practices.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  16. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

You drove 85 past my place ... in a 30 mph zone ...

Musta been running late that day ... but no harm ... no foul ..

tery likes this.
  17. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I had a CDL Truck Drivers License, Motorcycle Road Race License, and insurance sales license.

Jim622 and tery like this.
  18. cenz

cenz TDPRI Member

I have 3

Wastewater Operators license
    Hazardous Waste Handling/Disposal

Third one is more of a certificate than a license, OSHA Confined Space Entry.

Jim622 likes this.
  19. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Well, in his defense, he was teaching a bunch of dullards that could not come up with a better way to make a living than being an insurance adjuster. :lol::lol:

Mjark, nojazzhere and rangercaster like this.
  20. Rob R

Rob R TDPRI Member

Wow. So many people who have licenses but haven't really used them. I don't feel too bad now. I worked my arse off to get an Airframe and Powerplant (A&P) license in 2001 right after 911 and only used it a few times. Bad timing. Got a job with Northrup Grumman. They paid us 11/hr to start. But for those of us who got our A&P, they paid us 11.25/hr. Never worked so hard for so little. Still in aviation, but now I work with Jet fuel.

Jlwctn and Jim622 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.