Who has a lot of gear and/or a lot of money to buy it but - aren’t very good ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Dec 11, 2019.

1. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Holic

These days I have:

one acoustic (cheapish 'Vintage'-brand dreadnought, 15 years old now)
    one electric (cheap/free butchered/modified Ibanez GAX - literally a pile of scrap bits when I got it - works quite nicely now in P-90 stylee)
    one bass (cheap/free 80's korean p-bass copy - literally came free with a $20 Ibanez gig bag* - wasn't working, no pickguard, dead pickup, etc. All fixed now.)
    one bass combo (cheap, Ibanez SWX35 - got it for almost nothing as it wasn't working, I was honestly happy to just get the cabinet as a project, but I fixed it in 10 minutes)
    one pedal (home-built DIY Marshall Guvnor 2 clone in a raw 1590BB enclosure - but a genuine Sharpie was used for the lettering)
    and one guitar combo (newish Boss Katana 50, certainly not cheap to me!)

Apart from the Katana and the acoustic, both of which were bought new, the rest have cost me about $150 in total (a new set of flats for the bass has been the single most expensive item, I think)

But I can still play all 3 chords, coz I perfected them 40 years ago. On a Tele and an SG, through a 1959 Super Lead Plexi. I am also learning a couple of new chords these days.

* - seriously! - I went to pick up the bag, saw the sorry old bass in the back of the guys garage, I said "what's with that?" he replied" I was going to throw it out, it's forked, take it if you want..." Thank you kindly, sir...:)

edited the total cost because I forgot about the Wilkinson tuners for the Ibanez. That's added $30, was $120

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    dented and Mike Eskimo like this.
  2. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Meister

I'm not that great of a lead player, but I can sing and play rhythm well.

I need lessons, but at my age? Should I?

3. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Put an electric guitar in my hands and I can make noise. I don't know any appropriate tunes, never took lessons, don't know what to do with the knobs. I own one amp that is smarter than I am. I'm a talented banjoist and block-headed cowboy-chord acoustic rhythm guitarist. There is no reason for me to own electric guitars...but I love 'em. I can buy whatever I want...but I'd rather build (and I have mad building skills). Now that I'm retired and building a workshop, I hope to really dig into building whatever I want...hopefully by late summer next year.

4. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

You mean a person with a lot of gear and very little idear? Guilty, but then how many people own expensive golf clubs but can't even shoot a round below 100? I am pretty critical of my playing. but I have reached the point where it has become almost yoga to me. I play every night for about an hour after dinner to relax and unwind. It isn't a contest for me, I don't need to be great.

5. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

I was never that great but I could always work on them thanks to a cousin who taught me early on. Seems I was always working on someone's guitar and playing them was just an after thought. Today I can afford just about anything I want and do have a pretty nice collection of the oddball. one off's and Wow you don't see that everyday.

dented, aging_rocker and Mike Eskimo like this.
  6. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

I used to have as much as I could afford back in my playing heyday, but got rid of a lot of it when I “retired” from music in ‘98. An old buddy of mine talked me out of musical “retirement” 3 years ago to do an acoustic duo with him. So I bought an acoustic guitar, and then got into the fetish of building them!

Just three years later I have three acoustics (built one of them), two basses and four electrics I built. There are four more electrics in various stages of construction downstairs, and I also have five amps and about half a dozen various pedals - mostly multi programme types.

Playing wise I have waaaaaay more gats and gear than my abilities, but I can hold my own for what I do as the lead player in our duo.

Milspec, aging_rocker and Mike Eskimo like this.
  7. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Raising my hand...

I have way more guitars than talent. Each new purchase was supposed to be the one that got me off my rear and playing.

Years later I have a bunch of guitars but still not playing or getting better.

8. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire

Early on l accumulated a lot of gear (not necessarily by TDPRI standards) that far outweighed my talent level. I did one major purge 5-6 years ago but have started accumulating again to the point of 3 elec & 3 acoustics and 3 amps. It’s appropriate for my level I believe.

Mike Eskimo and dented like this.
  9. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Holic

Me too, brother.

I sometimes think my Katana is trying to brainwash me into enabling the 'legendary Roland DC-30 Analog Chorus-Echo' - but I'm holding out so far.

Mike Eskimo, dented and trapdoor2 like this.
  10. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

me. I’m really good at bass but just started on guitar 10 months ago and have a Martin D18 two Fender CS guitars. I love them and am sticking with it for sure but yeah... definitely nicer gear than my playing level.

11. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I'm pretty good, to be honest. I'm very far from great, and lack musical originality, but I'm pretty good. it's less from playing strictly guitar and more from playing other instruments as well. Like I play a lot of bass, and I also have been playing the flute, It's interesting--learning the flute, having to play a strictly melody instrument, has made me a better guitar player. It's like I understand music better.

I just feel like this last point is crucial. The place you want to get to, or at least where I want to get to, is where it's less about being a guitar player and more about being a musician.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  12. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

I have a lot of gear, not just guitar stuff. But it all gets used and it's all decent quality. I guess it's important to be mediocre in as many ways as possible...

13. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted

I have more cool gear than i need.
    Im In a pretty cool band but im just a mediocre guitarist. And thats the truth.

14. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I have heard that you never really understand intervals until you play a melodic/linear instrument. With a chordal instrument, you use up too many brain cells trying to build chords. In reality, I think any "different" instrument gives you a different POV and your mind expands.

TokyoPortrait, Mike Eskimo and dented like this.
  15. highgreenchilly

highgreenchilly TDPRI Member

I have a CS Nocaster I got last summer (a 6.8 lb to replace my old boat anchor AVRI) and a 20 year old D-28. I’ve been playing 30 years. Very little stage time. I’m decent but don’t have the time to play as much as I’d like. I refuse to buy another guitar because I don’t play enough and these are my dream guitars. I may buy a small tweed but my DRRI works fine. Always wanted a tweed amp though. Playing is great stress relief and a nice way to socialize when I can pick with someone.

16. Informal

Informal Tele-Afflicted

My gear is in no shape or form.... commiserate with my ability.

But I've dropped some REALLY expensive hobby's over the last few years, and this is really my only vice.

So no guilt here.

17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

You just need winding up.

[​IMG]

rcole_sooner, Mike Eskimo and dented like this.
  18. DaveG_NJ

DaveG_NJ Tele-Meister

Ha ha. This is so much me. I have dozens of hobbies and I'm quite good at a lot of things, but not VERY good at any. Before I read the previous messages in this thread, I would have bet that my ratio of money spent on guitars to talent was the highest (only because I'm so mediocre).

Mike Eskimo, KevinB and dented like this.
  19. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I have the gear I want and can petty much buy what I want, which is not much of anything. In 50 years I've owned 17 instruments so GAS is low by TDPRI standards I guess. I'm a garage band guitar player with the ability to sing and play acoustic and full band electric gigs, 50 or more a year.

20. Blue4Now

Blue4Now TDPRI Member

same

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.