Who has a lot of gear and/or a lot of money to buy it but - aren’t very good ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

C’mon.

Be honest.

We’ve got some very comfortable people here who aren’t any good.

Free your soul.

I’ll go first.

I used to have a wall of vintage Nationals (avg $2,000-$3,000 a piece) and I thought I was the two-headed love child of Chris Whitley and Blind Boy Fuller.

I wasn’t. And still ain’t.

Now I have a 28 yr old MIM Std, a Gretsch Corvette and a gut string .

They fit my current income and same-as-ever skill level perfectly.

idjster, rcole_sooner, NewKid and 8 others like this.
  2. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I have about a dozen (or so) guitars, and enough money to buy pretty much anything I want.

I've been at it for over 50 years but my playing skills are pretty basic. I just don't have that musical gene in me.

I can do lots of other stuff though, and I have dozens of hobbies, but I guess I've always been someone who wants to be able to do what I know I'm not that good at...if that makes any sense. :rolleyes:

ftbtx, rcole_sooner, uriah1 and 9 others like this.
  3. DLReed

DLReed TDPRI Member

I get pangs of what I can only describe as guilt occasionally. I don't have outrageously expensive gear, although, relative to my income it is at the high end of affordability. (Mexican Telecaster and Blues Junior) The gear suits me well and is what I expect to carry with me for a long time but my playing is not worthy of its quality.

Mr. Neutron, dented and Mike Eskimo like this.
  4. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

Me. And I don't feel any need to apologize for it. There are much worse things to spend time and money on

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  5. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Yep.

I wouldn't say I'm super-comfortable or well-off. But I definitely appreciate quality and choose nice things, nicer than my pitiful talent would allow.

Less of a musician than a collector I guess?

rcole_sooner, dented and Mike Eskimo like this.
  6. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've got pretty nice stuff, and I can hold my own playing wise just fine. I put in my 10,000 hours decades ago.

7. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Well, I am not very good, so that’s that/
    I have the gear I want

8. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have more gear than a mere motal should ever own , the really silly part is people give it to me , tons of it (litterally) I do repairs for a local big chain music store and if they pull something from inventory, I get first refusal , this may include amps, synths, DI's cables last item was a 15 inch loaded cab and a SS fender head , mic stands, booms , keyboard stands you name it, I plan to have a massive musical yard sale in the spring and I havent even listed my personal gear yet .

dented and Mike Eskimo like this.
  9. Jerry_Mountains

Jerry_Mountains Tele-Meister

I have not a lot of money but yes a lot of guitars that I've been acquiring over the years. I think I can be good if I practiced, but then Im not gonna have time to post on TDPRI.

10. Jerry_Mountains

Jerry_Mountains Tele-Meister

I have the gear I want not the gear I need.

dented, Frodebro, Bones and 2 others like this.
  11. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I've been through a thousand guitars since 2001. Literally. Can't play one entire song. I still have fun.

OldDave, robmclark, peterbee and 17 others like this.
  12. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

I have a modest amount of gear for my two decades of playing, but no money.
    I also should be a way better player than I am by this point in life. Me from ten years ago could play and write modern me under a table.

I'd be better off in the more gear and money than skillz category at this point. Far less embarrassing than forgetting how to play the Into riff to When Doves Cry when you could do it frequently at age 16 as a joke......

dented and Mike Eskimo like this.
  13. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I have always said my gear far outweighed my talent, even when I had only one guitar. Now that I have way, way, too much gear, I call myself a collector that plays....still with finer gear than talent....

KevinB, dented and Mike Eskimo like this.
  14. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

Compared to a lot of folks here I don't have a ton of stuff -- a couple of acoustics, Strat, Tele, SFTR, Hayseed 30 and a bunch of pedals, most of it purchased used and most of it owned for 10+ years. But in proportion to the amount of time I spend playing, it seems ludicrously out of proportion. I used to be marginally competent and played out in bands in my younger days, but am insanely rusty these days.

Nothing wrong with folks spending their spare cash on instruments, it's supporting an industry we are all passionate about. I do have a weird personal thing about instruments needing to be played that helps keep my GAS in check. But yeah, I'm not anywhere as good as my gear. . .

Jerry J, dented, DLReed and 1 other person like this.
  15. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I am blessed...someday I’ll play like it.

16. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My gear/ability ratio is on the Joe Boono-masha scale—waaaay at the bottom :D

81392B32-067F-4F7A-9E28-298082FF4E2C.jpeg

17. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

my ability is pretty much in line with my gear, or a little behind. Nothing too radically expensive. I tell my wife and myself, "This is what I do instead of buying a Harley".

when I was a teenager and wanted to learn, I couldn't get anything good. now, I can.

18. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

My gear collection is fairly modest, as is my skill level. I did, however, allow myself a Marrin a few years ago.... My first and only, semi expensive acoustic. I have considered selling it though, as I gravitate towards my less spendy guitars for some reason.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    stormsedge, dented and Mike Eskimo like this.
  19. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

A Taylor and a Martin acoustic.

Half Fat Hot Rod Tele, LP Special with P90s, Clapton mod Strat.

3 amps for electric guitar. More pedals than I need. And an amp or two that I haven't used for 4 or more years, but haven't bothered to sell.

Plus a Gretsch Electromatic short scale bass. And two bass amps, one of which needs repair.

A Fishman amp for acoustic.

An Ovation I've barely played since I got the Martin.

A couple mandolins, one of which is a nice Collings F Style.

I carry 20 some harps with me when I'm playing. Two Fender amps modified for harp by John Kinder, Rod Piazza's amp guy. I used these professionally. I also have a Harp Train model 10, which sounds pretty good if I bring down the treble and boost the mids with an EQ pedal.

My only gig now is playing in church. And hitting an occasional open mic or blues jam. I could easily shed a guitar or two, a mandolin, and a couple amps. But I haven't. And I probably won't.

I've worked professionally off and on since the early 80s. Earlier if you count directing choirs or singing and playing in church.

I don't need all the equipment I have for the purposes I use it now.

I'm a killer on harp, and competent on everything else. Perfectly fine for worship. Most of the equipment is because of one or two reasons:
    1. My late wife was an enabler, as long as I bought it for playing in church.
    2. It served a particular purpose when I bought it.

I will probably move next year. May sell some things then. Maybe not.

stormsedge and Mike Eskimo like this.
  20. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

I’m shall we say modest in my gear, 4 Telecasters, CVC, La Cabronita, and 2 Squier STDs, Chinese Strat, and Art and Luthery cutaway acoustic electric. Amps are all SS Fenders and Roland cubes, a Micro and 40gx. It all works for me.
    My playing abilities suck after a 4-5 month layoff.

stormsedge, dented and Mike Eskimo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.