1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Who gets your guitars and amps if you peg it ???

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tweeet, May 2, 2020.

1. pointysideup

pointysideup TDPRI Member

I reckon the second I'm gone my wife will eBay the lot to pay for her bingo habit :lol:

tweeet likes this.
  2. derekwarner

derekwarner Tele-Meister

this young guy is my 5th out of 9 Grandchildren............it is 47 years older than him......not really sure......there is also the Katana 100MkII amp to go with it......

P1120087.JPG

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  3. UKDenis

UKDenis TDPRI Member

I'm the "pegging it soon" side of 70, and the will says nothing. I've named a small number of friends who can choose what they like, but the older I get, the less things mean to me.
    The way I look at it is when I go, I'm not going to be here, so why would I care??

czech-one-2 likes this.
  4. dimenjj

dimenjj Tele-Meister

I compiled a list of all guitars, display cases, amps and pedals with a "don't sell for less than $$$" for each item.

PacificChris likes this.
  5. Terrygh1949

Terrygh1949 Tele-Meister

Everything will go to my 2 sons. One is a musician the other not. I have two vintage Fender guitars. One to each, the others divided by choice. Amps and, various gear pieces divided by who could or will use them.

6. Frank Entele

Frank Entele TDPRI Member

My plan is to sell guitars and amps if I run out of retirement $. And at the current rate of my 401k? The gear is getting nervous!

7. Ro Kholum

Ro Kholum NEW MEMBER!

Let my gears remain as a memorial...or my brother-in-law who has a bit of guitar sense can play them, if not my nephews, if they become to love guitars in course of time...I have two Ibanez Prestige, a Charvel, a Cort KX Custom, Yamaha TRBX 305, Boss pedals and a GT multi-fx, Marshall combo, Peavey combo.....

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  8. DunebillyDave

DunebillyDave TDPRI Member

My wife gets it all. She paid for half of everything and it all has hard value. In the case that we both pre-decease our son, he gets it all. Beyond that, it gets donated to the local performing arts charter school.

I'm just in the process of accounting for it all. It's a tedious job. Life Pro Tip for young musicians: Find a couple secure places (both digital & physical) and keep a running list of the price you paid, date purchased, and brief description (including any serial numbers, for each instrument, amp, and pedal you acquire, AS SOON AS YOU GET IT. Doing later is a huge pain in the arse!

Bandboy and Lost_N_Austin like this.
  9. Johnnypops

Johnnypops TDPRI Member

Yeah well I’m a lefty and my daughter who plays guity causes me great sorrow because she’s right handed
    As such I’m either being cremated with my ladies to add some fuel to the fire or perhaps I’ll start a scholarship for disadvantaged left handed (one and the same thing) kids who can’t play good... inspiration comes from the Derek Zoolander College for kids who can’t read good’ except my guitars don’t need to be 20 times the size they are... zoolander joke!!

nomadh and tweeet like this.
  10. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer Tele-Meister

In the event of there being no musical relatives to pass on my stuff. To be honest I will probably sell off much before I peg it.

However, otherwise I would ask that my kit is all advertised in the local facebook, with an invite to the funeral party. I would expect musicians to come up with the cash for a fair local second hand price. After a few weeks I would instruct that their hard earned cash was given back to them.

11. TheOneTrueSID

TheOneTrueSID TDPRI Member

I may not have much time left. I sat in my guitar room last week and decided. The MIJ LP copy that my dad bought me when I was 14 goes in the box with me. My V, Strat and amp go my best buddie's 12 year old son. My Tele, bass, and Marshall Amp fridge go to my nephew. My Martin goes to my brother-in-law.

charlie chitlin likes this.
  12. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I recently went into the hospital for some major surgery and found myself making a list of all my gear and its value, for the wife.
    I thought I was just starting to act like an old man until the fekkers actually almost punched my ticket.

13. Zman28

Zman28 TDPRI Member

I had a bout with Cancer 6 years ago. At that time i had 21 guitars and 7 amps . I also had a full pedal board and a bunch of extra pedals. I had chemo and lost the feeling in my finger tips. I decided to sell it all. But in case something serious happened I made a list and numbered all of them. I put painters tape with the corresponding number on each piece. On the list i put the year make and model and an approximate value. That way my wife could get a fair price for them. Fortunately I am now C free and have regained the feeling in my fingers. I sold 10 of my guitars and 2 amps. So to answer your question, they will be sold. W

14. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

Big Chipper Shredder.

15. iperpiper

iperpiper TDPRI Member

I have some different hobbies. Music, guitars, amps etc, my piano, my collection of LPs and CDs, (and,but obviously, s nice HiFi system), but also some very different ones like diy in my garage joinery and my classic cars. And some more. Sadly, noone in my family share my interests. Neither my son nor my daughter, wife, brother, nepew .. noone! They know nothing and have no idea of the value. Maybe they will sell everything for dimes or send to the scrapyard ... Aaaarrgghhh!
    Sometimes I think I am old enough to start selling everything and simplify my life, but everytime I sell something ... I buy something else. Maybe I have to write down a list of items and values, just to help my heirs to gain money for Charon's obol

16. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Holic

Knowing my wife of 35 years, everything would go to the Good Will (for tax right-off) or to the Hock-Shop,
    for quick cash. The kids will reap the rewards, ha, ha....like they don't already......sigh.........

17. Darrylc534

Darrylc534 TDPRI Member

I made a google doc and shared it with my sons and my wife. I put some thought into distributing my guitars to my sons, nephews, godson and god daughter. I tried to match each guitar to each person's personality. The list continues to grow as I continue to build. I've already built guitars for each of these kids, but when I'm gone they'll get the rest of my collection. I've made all of these in the picture and the amps on the left. IMG_4005 (2).JPG

18. MalcolmTex

MalcolmTex TDPRI Member

I made a document in Word and inserted photographs of all my gear and made note of year, serial number, brief history if it is of interest. I did it originally for insurance, however, it serves well as a document to go along with my will. I go in and amend it if I buy something or sell something. Its on a USB thumb drive in the same packet as my will, and kept in the safe.

19. MalcolmTex

MalcolmTex TDPRI Member

Damn! Talented dude!

20. Cosmicstrings

Cosmicstrings TDPRI Member

The Burst goes out to be sold to help support my wife and the 10 other guitars and 14 amps, etc. go to my two guitar playing nephews. They are good people and good musicians!

El Tele Lobo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.