Who gets your guitars and amps if you peg it ???

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tweeet, May 2, 2020.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

It doesn't really matter does it? I have a vision of how it ends:

2. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

That's gonna be a tough call. My wife and I had three children. They have given us 19 grandchildren. (Yeah...my kids found something they do well.)

But the short version of this story is that while not one of my three plays guitar very much, they're all musical. And more to the point, they're all sentimental about one of my guitars in particular, a 1983 Japanese vintage Hohner G940 acoustic I've had for 37 years, the guitar from their childhood.

Various ones of the grandchildren have shown varying degrees of interest in guitar, but the last I've heard none of them have had an enduring interest.

So, I really don't know what to do. I'm not sure the kids or grandkids would be too sentimental about my other 14 guitars. So basically, it will be about determining which three of my kids gets the old Hohner. The rest will probably be offered, but likely just be sold for whatever my wife can get for them.

3. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

00a toxic square.jpg what a question , is it obvious ? The living

4. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have no one that plays or seems to want to play. I have a niece who told me she’d like to start playing again.She can have one but I’m not giving her 20 guitars.

5. znanjeiimanje

znanjeiimanje TDPRI Member

My dad probably thought the same. He was an engineer, mediocre player, but capable of fixing any amp put in front of him, hence why I got to have all the amps I wanted when I was growing up.

In any case, I learned a little from him, but didn't care because I thought he'd be around forever. He died when he was 55 and i was 29. I invested quite a lot of time and effort after that to learn and piece together all the information he was passing on to me over the years and I never cared much about.

And hey, now I'm repairing all my amps on my own and even started building my own pedals.

I hope your kids will realize the same thing one day, because now when I walk into my dad's shop the smell brings me back to my childhood.

6. znanjeiimanje

znanjeiimanje TDPRI Member

And yes. I have a son who can't even talk yet and who gets all my gear, with the exception of my JCM800 which goes to my bassist.

7. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have no idea.

Unless I'm asked, I don't intend to burden my successors with last wishes about it, either. I ask enough of them now.

As much as I like my guitars and gear, none of what I have is choice enough to make it someone else's problem.

8. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

He already got them

:) 20200412_132657.jpg

oyobass, tweeet and Blue Bill like this.
  9. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Meister

My boys both play and play well. They get everything I have.

Split it up and go on with your lives.

10. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I've thought about this a lot lately, actually. Some of the pieces in my collection would command an alright chunk of change. Others are very useful and I'm glad to have them, but they're not very valuable when it comes down to selling off.

The problem is, I don't know many who would know the difference. I'm not married, I have no kids and only a few friends. If I left all this stuff to my mom or something, it'd probably be more of a hassle for her to deal with it than it would be any kind of benefit. She wouldn't know what to do with it anyways.

I guess the #1 person I know who could do the 'right thing' with all my crap is a guy who I met and befriended via Craigslist. We tinker on amps and guitars and electronics both separately and together. He could appreciate some of the 'cheap but useable' gear that I have, and would know the value of the higher end stuff I've got. I think he'd get a bit of mileage from my '10 LP Special, Vox AC-15 and Marshall 18W clone. Of course, he's a gear hoarder just like I am, so he'd probably hang onto most of it until he died also. I'm 45, he's 67. A few choice items in my collection are things I bought from him anyways.

Again, we're both gear hoarders and we both talk about thinning the herd, but we never do. If I dumped my dozen of guitars, 9 amps (two of which I bought from him), 9 computers and a whole electronics bench worth of supplies and equipment (one of my oscilloscopes was his (dad's), the other is a Heathkit model identical to the one he uses) it'd probably be more of a burden than a blessing.

TL;DR: if I cross over into Dog Heaven, I'll leave behind a big hassle for someone to deal with, and nothing more.

tweeet likes this.
  11. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

. . .someone who likes blueprint teles and Takamines, I hope, and Peavey amps.

12. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

I'm taking them with me.

backpack.jpg

tweeet likes this.
  13. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Same here. My daughter doesn’t play. She will know their approximate wholesale value. I hopefully sell most of my collection in advance before my demise so presumably it will be only two or three instruments and an amp.

14. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

It'll probably go to my daughter and she'll sell them, but I'll be dead so who cares?

15. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I posted a thread last week about giving a guitar to my son and since he is my only guitar playing child he may get more. I’m in the process of selling off much of my stuff and when I’m finished there won’t be much left. Easy decision for me.

16. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Afflicted

The disappointing thing for me is that my son loves music...and could of learned guitar and keys, and when he was around 7 I gave him a couple of lessons and he seemed a total natural to learn, but as he got older he just didn't want to do anything that I did, football, golf and guitars ! He would've had the lot if he played :(

17. umasstele

umasstele Tele-Afflicted

I've actually been considering this.
    My wife would most definitely want it all gone, but she is sentimental. I suspect that my dad would somehow assume control of it all (the only other guitar player) and liquidate it without sentiment.

I don't care about any of it, except a couple.

My blue MIM tele- first "real" guitar, bought with my grandpa in 8th grade. That should go to my best friend Jim.
    My Guild Thunderbird should stay in the house, it was a wedding gift from my wife.
    My 1969 Twin Reverb should go to Jim as well.

I don't want my things thrust on someone who doesn't want them, and feels obligated to hold onto them for eternity. Put them back out into the wild, I won't live on through my belongings. But make sure my wife/kid get the $$$$

tweeet likes this.
  18. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Meister

My one son gets it all. He's the only one who plays and can appreciate my gear.

If there are any childless hoarders here struggling with what will become of their collection, I can help. PM me for instructions on where it can be sent.

19. drippy cat

drippy cat TDPRI Member

For those of you who really can't decide, I just want you to know how grateful I am for the warm welcome I received when I joined tdpri recently, that I already think of all of you as close family, and
    I am capable of much more humble gratitude than sloppychops is.

JDawg0427 likes this.
  20. Redduke

Redduke TDPRI Member

My wife and daughter will have the lot as they know what the values are....but I'm taking my National Tricone under the ground with me. I got that one at the crossroads and I think my host wants it back........

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.