Who fans: Pete Townshend’s isolated guitar ‘Behind Blue Eyes’

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rze99, Dec 28, 2019.

1. deus56

deus56 TDPRI Member

And he's got the original album artwork of The Beatles Revolver album.
    He had the uncanny ability to connect the right piece of gear with the right individual.

rz350 likes this.
  2. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I totally agree- done right, mic bleed lends ambiance to a recording that you can't get through artificial means. Where it really works is in the drum mics- they pick up a lot more bleed than mics jammed into the grill cloth of a cranked amp.

gregulator450 likes this.
  3. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

Let's see how you hold up, not to mention your music, in half a century's time... :rolleyes:

4. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Irrelevant to the point.

Townshend WAS one of the best. What's so hard to accept about that opinion?

If I made great stuff in my youth, then nothing great for 50 years, I'd have no objections to anyone saying I "was" great, just because I am still alive.

You appear to just want to argue about nothing but a choice of phrasing that makes perfect sense. When we're talking about what guitarists are or were great or not, we pay no attention to whether they are living or dead. I simply used the term "was" to indicate judgment from within the context of his heyday. I believe he was one of the best, when he was at his best. I do not believe that he is one of the best today.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  5. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

He sounds good, but really, he should--he played guitar for a living and had done thousands of gigs by then, and also he was playing songs he wrote rather than someone else's song. It would be really startling if he didn't sound good. I'm not buying the argument that this is an example of "masterful playing." I'd go with "professional"

6. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I guess it's a matter of perspective, but I hear a lot of stuff in these performances (especially Won't Get Fooled Again) that is sadly lacking in music today. When I listen to the timing, the chord voicings, the "feel", I hear a lot of nuance and subtlety that I just don't hear in the chop-centric modern guitar playing that I find terrifically boring.

Georox and EllroyJames like this.
  7. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

That was cool!

8. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

What I’ve heard of the last record isn’t bad. Does it stack up to the best of his past stuff? No, but who of his contemporaries that are still going can say that. I’m a Ray Davies nut but I don’t have the recent ones he did with the Jayhawks. For a reason. The Stones? Put out a blues album but an album of original stuff? How many years has it been? Dylan is off covering Sinatra. Maybe Van Morrison? Dunno.
    I also thought Townshend through the seventies and into the early 80s was the most consistently strong songwriter of the class of 63 to 65. YMMV.
    As for the recording with bleed. Absolutely if the band can play together as a band which may not be the case. But if they can, Let It Bleed.

Cheers,
    Geoff

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.