Who else plays slide, but hasn’t tried lapsteel?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Frank'n'censed, Sep 11, 2019.

1. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Me.

When I first got interested in taking guitar lessons, at the tender age of 9 in Jacksonville, FL, the guitar teacher asked me if I wanted to learn to play "western" guitar or "hawaiian" guitar. I said western and never gave hawaiian a second thought. NOBODY played hawaiian guitar that I knew of, except Arthur Godfrey. I never saw a lap steel or any other steel guitar until I was in my teens, and that was just with C&W bands, not the music I was into. The first slide guitar player I remember recognizing playing slide was Dave Gilmore on early PF recordings. And the first one I saw was Ron Wood playing Around the Plynth with Rod and the Faces, and I thought "I have to figure that out".

Frank'n'censed likes this.
  2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, I knew I would get some flack for writing that, and I know that it is used once in awhile in rock and blues (some of my all time favorite songs has it in the mix), but to me if used too much, it screams country to me. Sure, throw some in a 5 piece and it blends well and yes, there are some great old blues players that are fantastic on them. Just not for me.

3. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

I have never been moved to play slide on a regular guitar but I got into the idea of playing lap steel back in the 90s, while heavily in the thrall of Uncle Tupelo’s albums “Still Feel Gone” and “Anodyne.”

It was after buying a lap steel (an old refinished Fender six with a cherry-condition blonde hardcase) —and fumbling around in C6 tuning with the DeWitt Scott C6 book—that I realized what I was hearing and wanting to emulate were Lloyd Maines’ PEDAL streel parts on those albums. Huh.

I was too much of a theory-less self-taught rock bonehead to wrap my head around C6 with that 6th open note in the middle then: The Hawaiian Bomb. That plus the murderously bright Fender and my lack of technique were frustrating.

Eventually I found a cool old 1940s (?) steel called a Roybert that sounded warmer and started using Dobro G tuning, which allowed me to accompany other instruments and add slide texture and artifacts and sound okay even with marginal technique. And I think it hastened my ability to play slants and think in terms of harmonized melody lines.

Sold the Fender after a couple of years and still have the Roybert. Never got very good on it but I’m back into playing it after sidelining it for several years. I’m currently goofing around in B11 tuning and have plans to come up with an optimum set of string gauges that suit its short scale and allow me
    to tune back and forth between
    C6 and B11.

4. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

Been thinking of getting into lap steel and was considering picking up a slide bar and giving it a try with my slide guitar, a Les Paul.

I will give it a whirl and have some fun.

YMMV

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.