Who else here is not really very good?

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
I only got serious six years ago, so yeah, I’m not very good. But I’m a lot better than I used to be and very much enjoying learning.

I know enough songs that I have to keep going back over them so I don’t forget. My goal was to become a decent rhythm player, and I now can have my moments at that. But I’ll never be a great lead player, and I’m ok with that.

BluesGuitarMart

Tele-Meister
I'm terrible.

I have no musical ear, I can't transcribe songs by ear but also hate reading tab, I forget chord progressions five minutes after I learn them, I only know the pentatonic boxes and I just randomly noodle around those boxes for twenty minutes before I hate my own playing so much I have to stop for the day!

ale.istotle

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I'm not very good but can strum a rhythm while going through the song in my head. If I play for someone else I usually have to tell them what the song is, so I guess I don't really play songs - I cover them.
Anyway, getting caught up in a good strum is meditative.

Whatizitman

Poster Extraordinaire
To put it another way - who was better?
Henri Matisse or Pablo Picasso?
You can be a critic is all.

Well, I'm more likely to hang a Matisse print in my house. Not sure if that means anything. But it is what it is.

I love Picasso. But he's a little harder to tie the room together.

Wait. I think I had Old Guitarist at some point. Nevermind.

Buell

Tele-Meister
As soon as you stop comparing your playing to other players, you will drastically improve! There is no such thing as the greatest guitar player of all time. Are you making music and enjoying doing it? That's all that matters! Oh, and BTW, I suck!!!

dcos

Tele-Meister
It's not about being 'good', its about getting better.

I'm awesome if you don't count leads with a lot of mistakes and the buzzing, muted sounding bar chords. Seriously, I was a working keyboard player for 20+ years, didn't start playing guitar until I was 60 and retired from playing out. At my age and my stiff fingers and wrists, I will never be great but love to play and when I'm playing the things I practice, people can think I'm good. I know better, I played with really good players! But for me it is about just keep improving as much as I can. It's slow, but it is happening. Maybe someday......

cenz

Tele-Meister
Interesting responses.

I’ll bet all you guys are a lot better than you think you are. And the guys that say they are pretty decent are probably really good.

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
I've been a dabbler since 1985. Lots of long layoffs along the way.

About a year ago, I decided to devote time to practice (and playing). This has helped, along with having structured practice. All the videos online have been a godsend.

On the plus side, I love gear and am a crackerjack amp guy (worked as an EE in aerospace for 20 years). I suspect that I like building and fixing stuff more than I like to play.

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
Got to pondering my guitar playing proficiency and have come to the conclusion that I'm not very good. I'm a pretty fair fiddle player, and a decent mandolin player. I'm just not a very good guitar player. Most days I'm ok with that.

I love teles, vintage instruments and amps, but I'd have a difficult time holding my own against most of the teenage wannabe rock and roll stars at Guitar Center.

Surely I'm not alone.

I'm right there with you. I've been plying 30 years & everyone assumes by now I'd be awesome, but that's not the case. I mean I'm good enough to play most of what I want to play...........but what I want to play isn't very demanding.

I once went into a store & there were these 4 kids (likely cutting class) just rocking out. They were playing Santana, Hendrix, Zepplin ....etc & killing it. So I did something they couldn't in a music store & bought a Gibson Lucille. Lol.

Eeeeeagle

TDPRI Member
I would not consider myself very good but I enjoy the heck out of it.

I think I would benefit from playing with other guitar players but I am extremely self conscious about my playing. I know a few folks that play, but I honestly don’t consider myself good enough to even ask them to jam. In a town FULL of amazing players, it can be daunting. I guess I need to get over it and go to the local blues jam or connect with folks. Therapy session over!

8barlouie

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I’m not half bad. If I played guitar for a living, I would get a lot more practice in than what I currently do which is an hour or two each day, much of it on the couch.

It’s like anything else. There was a time when I was obsessed with golf and every possible chance I had was spent at the practice tee or on the course. I got my handicap down to a 7, but buy, was I a miserable wretch.

I would say if I practiced and played in a band as long as I do my day job, I would deserve to be in the same conversation as @blowtorch. ;)