1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Who else here is not really very good?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by d barham, Aug 20, 2020.

1. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

For the amount of time I've been fooling around with guitar, I don't think I'm very good. But I surprise myself with random flashes of competence and if I screw up I just say they're jazz chords and runs.

2. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I personally feel I’m a mediocre to adequate player. Yes, I am my worst critic. There are people that tell me they like my playing. Some of them I respect and some I think it’s alcohol induced.
    Some nights I think I’m on fire and some nights I have ten thumbs. The one thing that keeps me coming back and playing is the fact I love to play out. Playing with players way better than myself teaches me so much. I guess I’m saying I don’t mind being the weakest link. Madison Square Bedroom just isn’t the same

JL_LI, Jakedog and d barham like this.
  3. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Holic

This is my opinion & my opinion only: As long as you are happy with your progress, or your level of ability, then that is all that counts. Again, just my opinion.
    We live in a society that is so caught up in the concept of better, best, awesome, one of a kind, incredible, competition, etc. Why isn't it good enuff just to be happy with where your ability is?

For myself, I was asked by a few folks back in the day to join their bands but I always turned folks down, and some folks got quite pissed that I didn't accept but that was their problem; not mine.
    I saw how pretty much every band had its' internal political struggles that eventually destroyed every one of those bands. People have priorities & most of the time its' someones' ego. :eek:
    Guitar playing to me is about enjoyment; it isn't about how many records you can pump out, how many chicks you can screw, how much money you can make, or whatever other metric was the driving factor for some fleeting stardom that I never desired. Anonymity, musical enjoyment, and peace of mind is worth a lot more to me than musical competition any day of the week, and for me it has been that way for over four decades. :cool:
    YMMV ...............

Cali Dude, JL_LI and d barham like this.
  4. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan Tele-Holic

Yes. The less the listener know about guitar playing, the better I sound (to them)!

d barham likes this.
  5. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

I spent literally tens of hours practicing and it got me from incompetent to embarrassing.

6. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

I'm good enough that I got invited to join a band the other day. I declined though, cos I thought their name, Dunning Kruger Effect, sounded dumb.

:lol:

Pax/
    Dean

stonetone7, joebloggs13 and d barham like this.
  7. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

If you’re good enough to amuse yourself and have fun, that’s all the justification you need to do it.

Keep amusing yourself and having fun long enough, and you’ll probably expand your repertoire.

Once in a while you’ll think, “Man, if only I’d really applied myself, I’d be playing at the level of _______.” Hopefully you’ll find a way to power on through those self-concept “troughs” and keep at it.

Extra points awarded if you pull yourself out of those valleys by learning a new tune, technique or concept. Or, you know, buying a new pedal and making exciting new ray gun noises. It worked for Don Felder.

Cali Dude, Deathray and d barham like this.
  8. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I have no problem playing in a band, and people tell me I'm a good player (liars all), but to my way of thinking I've never been able to keep the needle on zero.

[​IMG]

9. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

I don’t even own a guitar. I’m just an awkward, middle aged man with no friends.

CajunJ, Bendyha, flathd and 5 others like this.
  10. sudogeek

sudogeek Tele-Meister

Phil Edwards once said, “the best surfer in the water is the one having the most fun.” Good? Well, I sure have fun playing. Just don’t listen too closely.

offsideref, d barham and JL_LI like this.
  11. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

I don’t completely suck, but I could be doing much better. I’m pretty okay if I have to learn specific songs, but I’m too lazy to aimlessly noodle away for hours on end.

I’ve seen worse professional guitarists, but then I’ve seen guys who can effortlessly do things that would take me a lifetime to learn.

It’s my hobby. I don’t have a bike and I don’t go on vacations.

d barham likes this.
  12. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Who knew drf64 is really M. Night Shama-lama-ding-dong?

Jlwctn, beagle, drf64 and 1 other person like this.
  13. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I always played 2 hrs before a rehearsal to get the fingers to listen to my brain and then I was ready to play , but before that I made better noise on the porceline throne, I try to play about an hr a day on average but I will not perform untill I warm up entirely. any thing before that and I cant play 2 notes together

d barham likes this.
  14. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Me! Pick me!

I have given guitars to young folk who are far better than I would ever be. But I was never able to practice for 4 to 6 hours a day like they can. You get out what you put in.

P Thought, d barham and StevesBoogie like this.
  15. RB522

RB522 Tele-Meister

I am sadly the poster child of mediocrity. Although I've been playing for over 40 years, it hasn't been consistent. There are gaps of 8 years plus where I didn't pick one up because life happened. I'm basically a 40 year veteran beginner.

16. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

If I’m being totally honest?

Good enough to make a living at it. Not good enough to be anything resembling rich or famous.

Good enough to be asked to sit in with with some very well known people. Not good enough to ever be asked to join their bands.

Good enough that girls smile at me a lot. Not good enough for them to want to go home with me. That one suits my wife just fine.

Good enough to get asked to play on people’s records. But not any really great records that anyone will ever really hear of.

haggardfan1, Bendyha, beagle and 3 others like this.
  17. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, hate to say it, but I can hang, and when I'm on, I'm on.

d barham likes this.
  18. TheOtherNeill

TheOtherNeill Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I'm right there with you, playing in slow motion.

d barham likes this.
  19. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

I never wanted to be a great musician. I wanted to play songs and have fun. I have achieved that goal. But, objectively, compared to someone who’s had lessons and woodshedded for years, I suck. Like a Hoover, I suck.

gpilgrim and d barham like this.
  20. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

A work colleague once asked if I was any good at guitar. I replied, “Nope. I’m not even kind of good.”

He said, “You must be really good then.”

I said, “What? How do you figure?”

He said, “Good musicians always insist they’re bad. Just like bad basketball players are always bragging about how great their game is.”

d barham likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.