1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Who doesn‘t like 50s wiring?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by mbabst, Mar 5, 2021.

1. mbabst

mbabst TDPRI Member

I put a prewired Tele 5-way harness from Monty’s guitars in my 60s Original Tele. It has the 50s wiring. I like the volume control but I have to turn down the tone control more than half way for the treble to start rolling off. I think I‘ll go back to standard wiring. Anyone else went back?

2. BCblues55

BCblues55 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I love 50’s wiring and have it on most of my guitars because you can maintain the high end when you turn the volume down.

From what you write, it sounds like your problem might be caused by the taper of the tone pot. I’ve found that using a 250k audio taper tone pot works the best for my tone controls. YMMV. And you can also play around with different capacitor values and see if that works better for you.

Good luck!

jsnwhite619 and Boreas like this.
  3. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Do you know offhand what your pot and cap values are? I personally like a pot that rolls off slowly.But I am strange.

There are also "custom" tapers as well. I don't know if your pot is audio or linear, but I suspect audio. Whatever your pot is, try the other. Pots are cheap. As BCbues mentions, you could also step up your cap a notch.

Also keep in mind, most pots are only spec'd for a 20% tolerance. Custom pots are usually 10% and you can often specify torque.

4. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I once used it on all my guitars, and I appreciate what it does, but I've since gone back to normal wiring almost everywhere.

On my Les Paul, I decided to keep it on the neck pickup only.
    There, I like how turning down volume and tone hollows out the mids and makes for a decent clean sound.
    On the bridge pickup, however, I found it less useful.
    Sometimes, I wanted to play on the bridge pickup and just roll back the treble a little bit, but it ended up cutting out too many mids at the same time.

5. mbabst

mbabst TDPRI Member

250K CTS pots, an Oak Grigsby 5-way super switch, a 0.022uf NOS Russian Paper in oil capacitor

Fendereedo likes this.
  6. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

If you're talking about maintaining the same tone regardless of volume, then I'm all for it. I wouldn't have it any other way. I have no idea what the specific electronics are.

Fendereedo likes this.
  7. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I had an AV52 Tele a few years back, I didn't mind it. Although honestly can't remember now. My AV56 Strat had 50s and I loved it though.

7fdc6aee8dd4a0f3abf902d42d4764c5.jpg

8. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

IME when you switch to 50’s wiring and keep the same pots, if all it rather makes the pots more reactive.

The behavior of the tone pot you’re describing should have more to do with its taper than with 50’s wiring as @BCblues55 said.

jsnwhite619 and Fendereedo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.