Who does without a tone pot?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Diamond White, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Diamond White

Diamond White Tele-Meister

I'm building a Tele, with a TV Jones in the neck and a standard single coil bridge pickup.
    I'm thinking of fitting a volume for each pickup and doing without a tone control. I never use them anyway and this would allow me to use a 500k for the Filtertron and a 250k for the single coil.

Anyone else have this type of setup?
    How do you get on with it?

2. iheartreverb

iheartreverb Tele-Meister

If you don't use it then you'll never miss it.

I have a VM tele custom that I was going to wire mater tone/master vol and now I'm thinking of just going with volume. You'll be fine!

3. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I never put tone pots in my guitars. Probably because my hearing is shot and everyone else is hearing icepicks when I'm hearing smooth, creamy tonal bliss.

4. TeleToTheRain

TeleToTheRain Tele-Holic

thinking about not including one on my current project. I have an EQ pedal... do we really need a control on the guitar? maybe... doesn't usually sound as good as adjusting tone on amp/pedals. but.... I don't play live much and when I do, it's not really a high intensity environment where I need to make instant changes.

I have used a no load tone pot and like the result. I like your idea of the two volumes, I'm using a blend and like the idea of mixing pickups and changing playing position/style to effect tone. I may use a little toggle (mud switch) to engage a cap just to roll off a little high end, but I like the simplicity of only a couple controls, so hopefully I'll man up and keep it simple. The only thing I don't like about two volumes is that if you don't use a master or have a kill switch you have to turn both volumes down to silence your guitar... may not be an issue... perhaps a 4 way toggle could accomplish this.

5. Teletubbi

Teletubbi Tele-Holic

I would be your perfect audience.

6. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

This is a non-issue for left handers as invariably the tone pots do not work. I have tried resoldering to different lugs to no avail. I am looking forward to my new American Standard Tele in the fond hope that the tone pot will do more than on/off.

7. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

I was thinking about this a while ago and a very helpful chap drew this in the thread I made.

It's a diagram for two individual vols and switching tone options.

8. Stuart_tate41

Stuart_tate41 Tele-Meister

I find it an odd concept I always set the treble for the neck pickup then roll back the tone for the bridge.

9. Diamond White

Diamond White Tele-Meister

Why?

It would be the same wiring as a Les Paul, but without the tones.
    I don't think that's an issue really, plus you get to blend the two pickups in the middle position.

Bear in mind that the neck pickup will be a TV Jones, and the bridge will be a bit hotter to match, so it should have less highend anyway.
    Plus, you can always add a permanent tone cap to the bridge volume if you found it too shrill.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  10. TeleToTheRain

TeleToTheRain Tele-Holic

I'm with ya, that's my theory too about blending the pickups (which is why I'm doing a blend, as mentioned. same theory) and that's a good idea about the tone cap. (why I'm also thinking about a "mud" switch that's super subtle and probably only needs to be wired to bridge as you said).

I don't like LPs for that reason. I use the middle position a lot and if you dial that in and want to silence your git between songs (I do this cause of the 60 cycle with singles) you will screw up the settings without a kill switch or maybe stepping on a tuner. Guess you could also flick the toggle and just silence one. Like I said, may be a non-issue for people, but it is for me. That's why Gretsch has a master volume. I like simplicity, so I've gone back to a parts tele from my Gretsch. Btw, love TV Jones!, that's all I use now.

11. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I nearly always use a volume for each pickup, no tone(s) pot. Even have one without a switch. Both volumes work independantly and it's not noisy when they are both on zero.

12. NastyMojo

NastyMojo Tele-Afflicted

Depends on the guitar for me. I have a John 5 Tele, and an Avril Lavigne Tele, and they both have no tone pots. I have found you can roll the volume down a bit and it cut the high end a bit.

13. lothar34

lothar34 Tele-Meister

They are pretty useless for me, as they stay on 10 always. I have a Big D varitone coming in the mail that Im going to replace the absolute **** varitone in my Epi Wilshire. If its a success I might put one in my #1 as well

14. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

i ALWAYS use a no-load tone pot - that simple pot tweak adds or removes the tone pot (cap and resistance) as needed for most any electric guitar. it's easy to tweak a typical cts or alpha pot into a no-load.

15. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I might as well have no tone pot, never use it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.