1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Who did you see in your first live concert?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by sad99, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Not cool, even at the time, but back around 1970 I went to see James Last. I was in a school big band at the time and Glen Miller was getting a bit tedious! Never did get to do anything like Mr Last’s stuff. The main problem was that there was no one who could be MD for such an outfit.

2. wannabeatle

wannabeatle TDPRI Member

B.B. King, in the late ‘90’s. Sat on a chair and HELD COURT.
    Openers were the Neville Brothers. They were AWESOME. Then they all left the stage, and Aaron stepped forward with his own keyboard player and violinist, and did his ballad hits. And then the Neville Brothers came back out and SLAYED SOME MORE.

elihu and brookdalebill like this.
  3. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Kansas was my first ever live concert when I was at Penn State. Great show I recall.

But Billy Joel was the best one...Piano Man days. My recollection is that he walked in the main doors on the main floor in a tweed jacket with a briefcase, looking around as he meandered to the front of the stage and disappeared behind it. Nobody already seated recognized him. Same dude was behind the piano not long after.

Harry Chapin was also worthy. Same general time period.

elihu and brookdalebill like this.
  4. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

Blue Oyster Cult w/Laser Show.

1977 June 29 Edmonton Northlands Coliseum, Alberta, Canada.

It was Awesome!

5. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. Or maybe the Box Tops. Either way it was the early 70s at the Steel Pier in Atlantic City. Maybe it was Myron Floren...

Dan

brookdalebill likes this.
  6. Howdog

Howdog TDPRI Member

Jethro Tull Passion Play tour 1972 at the LA Forum. I was 15 years old and it was a helluva show. Made it tough to appreciate bands that just stood there and played, but I eventually came to appreciate fine musicianship as well as a great show. However, it's tough to beat those bands that delivered both.

7. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

I once sat next to Billy on a picnic bench at a union rally! It’s not much of a claim to fame and somehow I completely missed him singing and talking to the crowd but I did see him drinking tea up close.

M2roadwarrior likes this.
  8. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire

Dave Bromberg and Lance Wakely, Philippines, 1966 or 67, in an "Up With People" show.

9. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

Beach Boys.

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It was either Bread with England Dan & John Ford Coley opening, or the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, with BW Stevenson opening.
    Sadly my once perfect;) memory has faded.
    I was in the 8th grade, so it was 1970/1971.
    50 years ago, YIKES!
    Anyways, I do remember Bread’s lead player played a Tele, and he was out of tune, more than once.
    The NGDB was in a very early incarnation.
    They still had a tall guy playing bass, and he was wearing a full red serge RCMP uniform, complete with Smokey The Bear hat.
    They were great!

11. TheOutlaw

TheOutlaw Tele-Meister

BB King at Bryce Jordan center in pa. Think it was 2013. One of the saddest things I've ever seen. His music is emotional enough but you could tell it was getting close to the end, they practically had to carry him on to and off the stage. He played very little and look like he was on the brink of Tears most of the time. I'm pretty sure anyone that was there and didn't get a little misty eyed is atleast 3/4 robot

12. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I haven't seen David live, but did meet him and have a conversation "back in the day" as he was a close friend of the owner of my hometown's music store and came in while I frolicing (with permission) with the various instruments that caught my eye. This was back in the mid 1970's before David had released a lot of music. My memory that stuck was "big hands", but that memory could be flawed. I was planning on tickets to a local event last year with him on the bill, but that event...well...didn't happen due to the scourge.

13. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Afflicted

1983 Billy Squier warming up for Def Leppard at New Haven Coliseum, New Haven Ct. I was 16.

14. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Young Rascals at Island Garden in 1967. The Vagrants were the opening act. I got to meet Leslie West.
    C68E9666-F695-41DB-AE7E-C8E0A3A61538.png

15. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

If you don't count seeing Van Cliburn with the Charlotte Symphony or The Preservation Hall Jazz Band while I was in high school in the late '60s, then I'd have to say either Taj Mahal at UNC-Chapel Hill, the Grateful Dead at Duke University, or an outdoor concert in Charlotte that included the Allman Brothers Band, the Marshall Tucker Band, Elvin Bishop, and Leon Russell in the very early '70s. I was pretty musically naive and uninitiated until I got to college in '71.

16. shobotan

shobotan TDPRI Member

Adam & The Ants Sydney Hordern Pavilion 1981.
    Was not really a fan. I knew the Antmusic song but that was it. A mate of mine's father worked for the record company and the ticket was free.

17. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I already listed my first ever concert, but my first Hippie concert was Santana at Fillmore West. I think it was before their first album was even out, so they weren't very well known, but, since Bill Graham was their manager, they were the headliners.

18. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Holic

If you mean the first famous-artist concert, it would be the Beatles. Mid-South Coliseum, Memphis TN, August 1966.

Also appearing were the Ronettes, the Cyrcle, Bobby Hebb, and the Remains. And a rather boring fashion show.

It was not the show where someone threw a firecracker on the stage, making people think someone was shooting John Lennon for statements he may have made. That was the other show on that day.

19. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Nat king Cole in 1964. My mother took me. I remember she made some comment about hearing good music instead of the crap I listened to. He was amazing so I guess she had some evidence in her favor. Not long after I saw the Beau Brummels at a local venue. They were new and popular in the SF Bay Area. We wanted to book them for High School graduation. They weren't interested.

20. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

First big-name act, but before they were nationwide. Aerosmith at the Franklin High School field house, Franklin, Mass., winter 1974. This was right before "Get Your Wings" was released, and they opened the show with "Same Old Song and Dance". I'd never seen flash pots used before, at least not in person. I was blown away!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.