Who did it better?

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
Well, here's 2 of the best live bands I've had the privilege of seeing on several occasions.

The same song (already featured earlier in the thread) but superb live versions.

From Live at Leeds, classic.

I was in the crowd at Reading festival for this, the vibe was incredible! - and remember that the majority of the crowd were there that night for bands like The Jam, Ultravox, Sham 69, etc. and had never heard of the Pirates, but by the end of the set they totally OWNED that crowd. 'Never follow the Pirates...' was common lore in the late 70s for a reason.

This has a short interview with Mick Green at the start.

Deathray

Friend of Leo's
“Born Under a Bad Sign,” was recorded by Albert King in 1967. Almost fifty years later, in 2016, it was recorded by William Bell, who originally wrote the song. In the newer version, the iconic riff was replaced by another, swampier riff, and I really like it.

Are they both covers?

Speaking of Born under a bad sign...

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Post two artists covering the same song, weigh in with who did it better.

I'll start. These guys?

...or these guys?

I'm actually a little torn on this one. I think the Dictators' version is a bit more raw, which I usually prefer. But the Ramones is a bit poppier, and I love a good pop song. I think I like the tone of the signature lick better in the Dictators' version, plus it has a playful guitar solo... so I'll go with that version.

What's your vote? And what two songs do you have?

I'm honestly surprised this hasn't been posted yet. This one's for @blowtorch.....as a welcome back.

McGlamRock

Poster Extraordinaire
IMO with John Jorgenson on guitar and Jay Dee Maness on pedal I think the Desert Rose Band edge out Nick Lowe on their respective versions of this John Hiatt song. Sorry Nick.

Last edited: