1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Who carries?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Wrighty, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Up until a few years ago I always carried a spare set of valves in the back of whatever amp I was rehearsing or gigging with. I can’t remember when I stopped doing so but have just found three new Grove Tubes in my random spares cupboard. Though I’ve never, ever, needed to replace a valve in a live situation, I’m now starting to think I should by a ship set for my current amp and start carrying them with me once more.
    Does anyone else do this and, has anyone every been caught out badly by the lack of a spare tube?

uriah1 likes this.
  2. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I had a Seymour Duncan Convertible combo amp many years ago. It came with a spare tube strapped to the inside of the cabinet. I can't remember what the tube was for because the pre-amp tubes were in plug-in modules. I don't think it would have been for one of those because they were all specialized based on what type of module you wanted to use.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Me.
    Extra amps, cables, strings, mics, instruments, stands, a repair kit and clothes go to every gig.
    Other people’s stuff breaks, they forget stuff, and it rains and gets cold.
    I’m a dern Boy Scout, really.
    I learned.
    I’m prepared!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  4. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

I’ve always got plan b, even to the catastrophic level. If I lose an amp, there’s a spare Quilter or such in the truck. If I lose effects, there’s a spare multi gizmo...if I lose a speaker, a good DI to the mixer.

when playing 6 string gigs I carry a spare guitar. Hate it when performers have to stop to take care of a technical issue

stormsedge likes this.
  5. T-Bone

T-Bone Tele-Afflicted

Not really. I play harmonica and lap steel when I gig so I’ve always got lots of harps. If one blows out or dies, I can play a different key in a different position, or switch to lap steel for that song. If my amp or mic dies I can live with the house PA and an SM58 for one gig. If my lap steel craps out I’ll switch to harp, or just sit that song out and take a beer break.

6. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I carried a little plastic box of tubes for years. It was still in the van until recently. But the backup amp is the plan really. You cant be doing amp service during a set!

7. spellcaster

spellcaster Tele-Holic

I still have a new Sylvania 6L6GC that I bought in 1975 just so I could carry as a spare. Many amps later, I still haven't needed it.

8. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Fuses, not always tubes. I really should always have the tubes too. Thanks for the reminder.

9. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

When I gigged with a Blues Junior I had spares velcroed in the back of the amp.

10. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

I'm with the backup amp and backup guitar idea. I always take my ZT Lunchbox just in case, and my pedalboard can plug into the PA as well. Like Schmee, I can't see digging around in my amp to fix or replace anything when I'm supposed to be playing.

If I break a string, I'd rather just pick up the other guitar and keep going instead of making everybody watch me change a string mid-show.

11. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Tele-Holic

I carry spare cables, strings, fuses, and yes valves/tubes. I’ve never needed to change one on a gig.

On bass gigs I carry a small Class D head as a backup. The sensible thing would be to take that on guitar gigs too and run it through the speaker in my combo - it would be a step or two down in terms of sound but it would get me through the gig.

Thinking about it, I actually used that little bass head to substitute for one side of our PA amp that had gone belly-up.

12. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

I just carry a little amp simulator, right on the pedal board. If something happens I can just send the cable to the PA and problem solved.

13. CDox

CDox Tele-Meister

Extra tubes, guitar, backup amp, cables etc etc.

14. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

Extra tubes----always.

15. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I always carried a set when I was gigging. I had a gig bag with tons of spare stuff and tools. Haven't gigged in a long time now though.

16. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

I’ve had a tube fail on me on two occasions when playing with a band, once at practice and once at soundcheck. Practice ended early at that time, and for the gig occasion luckily the sound check was a few hours before showtime so I was able to grab a spare amp.

I test fate with tubes. I never brought a backup so I’m fortunate I didn’t run into more issues. Maybe I’d bring some spares if I start gigging again someday.

17. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Yes, I do.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.