1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Who can play funny?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by charlie chitlin, Mar 21, 2010.

1. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

I can get an accordian effect with my volume pedal, tone control and some chord shapes ,,,I love me some mexican polka!:p

2. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Tele-Afflicted

Kevin Jackson, a drummer I know. He's great at working in funny little fills, cymbal clangs and what-have-you.

D.H.

3. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I like to get goofy sometimes. Little sound FX, the ol' chicken cluck, people always laugh when I throw in the theme from "The Munsters", stuff like that.

I can make the band laugh at will. I have a wide array of "whammy bar" tricks that crack them up (all of my guitars are hardtails, and there's very little neck bending) they make the audience laughs sometimes too. I can do a spot-on "trumpeting elephant" noise using harmonics, the volume knob, and a backward neck bend. That one comes in handy for those "drunken acres of denim" moments.

Anything can be funny if you throw in liberal amounts of bad acting. Fake bawling during "sad" solos. The Twilight Zone lick while stumbling around the stage with the wide eyed confused "where the hell am I" look, and one that never fails to crack up any musician in the audience is to play a slow blues tune solo like Stormy Monday or something using very slow and soulful two-handed tapping, with lots of vibrato and volume dynamics, and slow blues phrasing. If you can slowly, and in time with the music, bang your head like a metal guy, so much the better.:lol:

I'm also a big fan of the old carnival calliope music.

4. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

Brad Paisley

5. Caffeine Patrol

Caffeine Patrol Tele-Afflicted

The late, great Paul Skelton (Cornell Hurd Band, sometimes Wayne Hancock) was pretty good at playing funny.
    I think George Barnes was pretty deft with injecting humor into his playing, especially with his Octet.

6. Kerry Vance

Kerry Vance Tele-Meister

I'll agree with Mike Eskimo - Junior Watson's playing really has a sense of humor. Another player who makes me laugh is Ray Flacke. His quirky playing gets to me.

7. TeleHawg

TeleHawg Tele-Holic

I'm glad Redd was mentioned. He's the first player I thought of. His musical humor's kind of subtle, but it never fails to make me smile.

8. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Canadian Tele picker Wendell Ferguson definitely falls into that category.

I was just listening to his cd I Pick Therefore I Jam a couple days ago.

It includes songs like Serious Foolin' Around, 1 tequila, 2 Tequila, 3 Tequila Floor, Luck of the Drawl, This Unemployment Just Ain't Workin', and Boneless Chicken, amongst others.

Good guitar player too - I believe he's won best guitarist at the Canadian country music awards several times.

So, good player, funny lyrics, but not much of a singer, unfortunately.

Cheers,
    Geoff

9. tamlin54

tamlin54 TDPRI Member

I've got to chime in with another vote for Bill Kirchen. His updated version of Hot Rod Lincoln is f***ing hilarious, not to mention a tour-de-force of guitar playing.

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Junior Brown.
    Albert Collins.
    Adrian Ballew.
    Frank Zappa.
    Paul Gilbert.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.