Who Can Build Me a Vibro Champ?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by markesquire, Dec 19, 2019.

1. markesquire

markesquire Tele-Afflicted

I'm interested in a BF Vibro Champ clone. I'm leaning toward a new build -- I like the idea of being the first owner of a super clean/solid/reliable amp, and I want a couple of my own tweaks (speaker choice, larger OT to allow for 6L6, different caps for slower/deeper tremolo, etc.).

Who could build me such an amp, and at what price?

I know that MojoTone has a kit, but I don't have any amp-building experience and it would require me to spend money on tools I probably wouldn't use. I could also just pay MojoTone to assemble the complete amp for me, but that's $950, and wouldn't necessarily include the tweaks that I'm interested in.

The alternative would be buying a vintage amp, but those are getting more expensive, and by the time I buy it, have a tech make any adjustments, and maybe replace the speaker, I'd spend the same amount of money without necessarily having the confidence of a pristine new piece (I'm not particularly concerned with resale).

2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I don't think there is any way you could get one cheaper than a nicely serviced silverface. If the work is done by a decent tech it'll be just as reliable than anything new.

3. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

+1
    I had one not long ago, w/ full service( caps & can, cord etc.)
    Plus up graded speaker and the original ..$ 450. The ask on these is often significantly less than the sell. Esp if they are not pristine, or have changed grille or repro switch.

artdecade and Greggorios like this.
  4. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

I'd talk to Jim at LilDawg amps. I'd don't know if he has the chassis etc, but he can definitely custom-tweak his builds, he's super-helpful and flexible in amp planning, and he does great work at very reasonable cost.

Oh wait, is Oz 'Australia', or the ruby slippers place? :) You mentioned Mojotone; are you thinking of US builders?

vashondan and Greggorios like this.
  5. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

+1, In addition to LilDawg, Allen Amps and Gries all make BF Champ clones. I'd call/email each and tell them what you're looking for. Carls Custom Amps may also be able to do one.

vashondan and El Tele Lobo like this.
  6. scook

scook TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I would look for a SF VC also. As far as I know there weren’t many changes in the VC and other small amps from the BF to SF years and the ones I’ve been seeing are reasonably priced.

When you say choice of speaker are you looking at speaker size or just a different speaker than stock? A speaker swap is a nice easy way to get some different sounds out of an amp.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  7. markesquire

markesquire Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the input. To be clear, I am looking in the US. Also, I have considered vintage amps, but even SF champs in Reverb.com seem pretty overpriced. I'd really like to have

8. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

MuchXS can do it.

But will he do it?

I love mine.

BobbyZ and ce24 like this.
  9. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

duplicate

10. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky TDPRI Member

I will build you one. PM me if you would like to see pictures of a few of my builds.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  11. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I've had two. 78 i imported from the States. Then a 68 drip edge.

I got as a locker find from the US and rebuilt it. It was missing half the board components and tube sockets but transformers were good.

easy scratch build even.

You could also easily modify a stock Champ.

Are you in Melbourne? IMG_20171221_182900.jpg

12. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

You're in Ox? Not sure if Muchxs does international shipping. But when it comes to modded Champs and Princetons, he's the dude.
    He makes Champs sound good, that's way above my skill set.

Mr Ridesglide likes this.
  13. Dacious

14. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Holic

Maybe you should consider a Rivera era Super Champ. Those have gone up in price considerably also. I traded one of my Peavey Classic 30's (I had 3) to my buddy for his silverface Vibrochamp and we're both very pleased (He's a gigging musician and I'm not at the moment) So now I have the Super Champ and the Vibrochamp. Two totally different animals but I love them both...Good luck

15. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

Yeah, I got a '74 for around 450 total and replaced more parts than I needed to, but when I upgraded to a Warehouse 8" speaker, that made a huge difference. The little thing sounds truly awesome! Get a silverface while they're still relatively cheap, you'll have the real deal and it will only go up in value. And every single one on Reverb is overpriced.

16. Dacious

I have a SC and owned two Vibros. The SC is double the price easy and a serious gigging amp. The Vibros are great small amps but too loud for quiet home practice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.