1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Who buys new guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by CapnCrunch, Dec 2, 2020.

1. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

Yes, true @otterhound ;). In France, there's only one shop specialized in LH guitars and basses, located in Paris, called "Le Gaucher" (The Lefty). I've been there one or two times... o_O

I buy my new guitars locally, at a long-time friend small Music Shop - on order, obviously - but sometimes, he grabs by himself Lefty items for me, because he knows very well my tastes... :cool:

[​IMG]

For example, he snagged this Gretsch G5622T-LH-SRF-GRN - Only one batch of 10 made for the world, in 2014 (S/N° KS14123885), in Surf Green color... And only in LH !

[​IMG]

You know @4pickupguy that I like your 4-PU guitars :cool::cool::cool:... One day, I'll DIY/mod one à la Italian EKO/Welson style :rolleyes:...

-tbln

4pickupguy likes this.
  2. Chevalier

Chevalier TDPRI Member

Couldn't resist this Eastman T64/v... a new guitar... but it looks old!

IMG_4345.jpg

tubelectron likes this.
  3. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Apart from the guitars I've inherited, all my guitars over the last 40 years have been new. I wouldn't want to buy one that any of you lot have "upgraded". :p

4. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Very nice tiger neck

5. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I've never bought a used one. I don't purhase other peoples mistakes or problems.

6. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Holic

I buy new acoustics and used electrics.

7. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

I've done it three times, but it was a real waste of money. Never again.

CapnCrunch likes this.
  8. hollowman

hollowman Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

IMG_0448.jpg

mostly have bought or traded for used guitars over the years... until i had to have a surf green tele! bought this new in 2019, I can't rave enough about the solid rosewood neck

CapnCrunch and tubelectron like this.
  9. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I have three factory new guitars (Yamaha FJX720SC, Fender Broadcaster anniversary(yes it is one of the best electrics I have ever played period!), '15 Art & Lutherie Americana (Dreadnaught)), everything else was bought used... '96 tele used, 06' Ibanez Jetking II used, 94-95 Lodola-made Peavey SD-11p used for $425 (apparently goes for about $1200. I would never sell it though) '06 Seagull S6 Cedar top used, '04 Seagull M6 Used, 12-string Used, Honher professional dreadnaught used for $50, Johnson acoustic dreadnaught used, '60s Aria classical used.

Normally I try to buy used, however, I decided to take the plunge on the Broadcaster and figured I'd eat the return fee if I didn't like it....turns out I love it so that one is a keeper and will likely be the last new guitar I buy for a long, long, loooong while. The Yamaha was a gift from my parents, however the electronics leave something to be desired, which led to buying the Art & Lutherie because I needed an acoustic backup guitar as the Yamaha wasn't working correctly, and when it did(does) the tone is almost unusable (I refuse to mail my guitar and pay shipping both ways for the store I bought it from to send it 6 hours south of their location to their head quarters when I could just have a better system put in for about a quarter of the price. You are going to have to give me a lot more than that to send a $700 acoustic with someone I don't know. Also I needed it for the next day so that wasn't happening.), and the Seagull M6 was the only other one I had, with a major gig the next day I happened across the Art & Lutherie and I loved the tone and playability. I also didn't really have a choice at the time, I needed a backup as the gig was outdoors. Being the boy scout I am I always try to be prepared. The M6 has an excellent stock L.R. Bragg's acoustic pickup system. The Art & Lutherie has Godin's QIT system.

CapnCrunch likes this.
  10. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I'm digging the figuring on that neck.

11. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

It’s pretty rare that I do.

I bought one because it was custom made for me by a luthier.

Another was a Classic Vibe Thinline, and only because a used one was only like. 25-50 dollar difference at most after shipping when they had a new one on discount in the store.

A few others over the years, but I typically prefer used anyway. Often more affordable and nicely worn in already.

12. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

4C28B05D-9D0A-4518-81A4-91DD9B0DA004.jpeg

Gotta admit I have had vintage fever for too many years. Now I want a 2020 strat.

CapnCrunch likes this.
  13. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I disagree. There is something to be said for owning a physical copy of the music you like, be it vinyl, cd, cassette, eight-track, Reel-to-reel, etc. Those physical mediums give people something that you simply cannot get from a digital file. For example had I not been into vinyl records before Covid hit my area, i probably would not have found out how much I like the original album of Jesus Christ Superstar. Nor would I have discovered Roy Clark at Austin City Limits, The Watergate Comedy Hour, or Richard Nixon: A Fantasy. Furthermore, owning a physical copy of the music you like makes it a more intimate experience to share that music with someone.

For example say you have a large collection of Waylon Jennings CD's. You get into a conversation with a fired or cousin at work who has never heard of him. Now you say something to the effect of "I think you'll like this guy his name is Waylon Jennings, he's the guy that set the precedent for allowing artists to use their road band in the studio. He is also the guy that brought distortion and rock style drive to country music in the mainstream. I'll loan you some of the cd's I have...Oh! while I'm at it have you ever heard of Buck Owens and the buckaroos? No? I'll throw in a couple of his albums as well." your fried then says something to the effect of "You don't need to do that." you respond with something like "It's no problem! Really! I'm happy to do it." You walk into your friends area the next day with five CD's in their cases, leaving them on the desk/work space with a nice little note on them that says something to the effect of "I thought you might like to borrow these, they are some of my personal favorites. Get them back to me when you can, I'm in no rush. Enjoy!"

14. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’ve only bought 2 used and flipped 1, 2 weeks later. Same with amps and pedals. I agree with Ironwolf/GoodTexan? Other people’s problems.

15. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

I like to buy used but have had a mixed bag of guitars through the years. When PRS came out with the new CE24 I bought one and the Strat I have now is a player because like an idiot I sold my American standard. Now the rest I have all used. I traded my CE24 for a used 2018 Ash Telecaster deluxe. My Taylor and Martin acoustics are used as is my Eastman 371 (175 copy).
    I like used but sometimes it is nice to have a new guitar.

16. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

It's been at least a dozen or more years since I've acquired any guitar. Currently have 6, and of those,

one bought new, ordered from the company with selected options.
    one bought new, off the rack.
    one bought used from a friend.
    one bought used off the rack.
    one bought used at a lawn sale.
    one given to me.

I have no preference as to used or new, but rather something in working/decent shape that feels and sounds good, fills a need, or, just gotta have. Or a ridiculously cheap price.

17. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I've purchased many new guitars - Fender, Gibson, Martin, Taylor, Godin, Ibanez. I like 'em all, but I admit I'm not very adventurous when it comes to brands.

CapnCrunch likes this.
  18. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

That is a great looking rig, and the guitar is gorgeous.

hollowman likes this.
  19. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

When I was working I had a lot more disposable income so I bought mostly new. Now the last 2 guitars I bought were used. It really depends...

20. 19sixty3

19sixty3 TDPRI Member

Bought a new Gibson LP about 35 years ago. Since then I've only bought used guitars. Exclusively. I only have two requirements for a used instrument: It has to be untampered and ready to play. Furthermore, no shipping, but only a personal collection from the seller. Chips and scratches? I don't care much - they are priced in.

Tube amplifiers are a completely different matter. I always buy them new!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.