Who buys new guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by CapnCrunch, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Holic

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    I have 8 guitars, only one - most recent purchase - has been used. I like new, I like return periods, I like warranties, I like knowing that as few people as possible have had their filthy human hands all over it. And I’ve only had one new from a guitar store - my wife store bought an acoustic for me - the rest of the new ones were ordered online...my used one was an eBay auction, and looks like someone played it for a year and it’s been it’s case since ‘65 ....excellent condition, super clean frets/board/body

2. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Most of the guitars I prefer were made before I was born, and I haven't owned many made after 1980.
    But, I recently got into new guitars.
    A few years ago my kid was born, and my main electric was on the bench for a wiring repair, and I had no time to finish it. My backup guitar wasn't cutting it and I'd been wanting a 50s style tele, but I had no time to build a partscaster. So I bought a new fender.
    I guess it was a time saver. It's a good guitar and I'm very glad I bought it.
    I enjoyed buying it so much that I just bought a new martin this year,and it's wonderful. So now two out of about 20 guitars are new. At this time I don't plan on buying any more guitars, new or old.

It feels good to support the production of the few things currently being made that I actually like.

3. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I own more than 20 instruments.
    Only two of them were New.
    I have found the best Vaule to be in the Used instruments.

4. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Up until last year (when I bought a new Yamaha acoustic) my last new purchase was 1992; a Strat Plus. There have been plenty of used guitars in that time. I really don't need any more and am not particularly wanting but I constantly look. It would take something really special for me to buy new.

5. Sequimite

Sequimite Tele-Meister

I bought a 2013 Les Paul 50's Tribute when Gibson retailers were blowing them out for $400.

6. VillainSean

VillainSean Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I buy new & used guitars, in fact I try to buy a new (to me) guitar every year.
    It's really just a matter of getting my hands on something that is new to me, and fits with my tastes, which is usually Teles these days.

7. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Who buys new guitars? Who cares? (kidding, I haven't bought a new guitar since I bought a PRS McCarty in 2002) Who wears short shorts?

8. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I usually buy used, but I've gotten a 'new' Danocaster, two Trussarts and a Logan Tele new in the past couple of years.

But they're the exception to th rule. Mostly I buy used.

- D

9. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

I mostly buy new because I can't seem to find the models I want used.

10. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

I always have something very specific in mind and usually a bit different.

Although I always check the used mkt I rarely find what I'm looking for, and I don't like beat up guitars anyway.

I usually hunt online till I find a new one at a good price. Sometimes it takes months.

I'm doing that ATM for a Musicman/Sterling Silo and Axis. I currently have a thing abt small/compact guitars.

11. saleake

saleake Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I buy new, except for a 2006 Jimmie Vaughan Stratocaster and a 2010 James Burton Artist Telecaster. Both were inexpensive and in pristine condition.

I bought an ‘61 Reissue SG from Musicians Friend that had been a return. When I got it the nut slots had been filed so low that it was unplayable. So I don’t buy expensive guitars used.

If I cannot find it local so I can spend some time with it, I make sure it is returnable if I can’t bond with it.

12. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

The last New guitar I bought for myself was a '99 Tom Anderson Hollow Drop Top Class for $2100.

It's an amazing guitar that sounds and plays amazing, but after shelling out that much money for that guitar, I vowed I'd never buy another new guitar again.

I have 54+/- guitars/basses in my collection and about 90% were bought used.

The other new guitars I bought myself were bought back in the late 70's and 80's.

I figure I get WAY more bang for my buck when I score a high quality used guitar for a crazy low price.

Sooner or later a new guitar is going to get bruised and scarred, so I might as well let someone else take the hit.

I also don't like losing money when I sell guitars, and since I started buy only used, I never lose and, most of the time I make a profit when I sell.

13. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

My reasoning for buying new guitars is I buy them when I can find them at the same price or close to the same price as a used guitar.

Without even trying you can get 15% off the price of a new guitar, many people want 75%-80% of the price they paid new, no reason to even consider used at those prices.

To really get good prices on a new guitar look for closeout pricing, you can find 30%-40% off the original selling price.

14. dannyh

dannyh Friend of Leo's

Ive bought both, and it doesn’t really matter to me if it’s new or used. If a particular individual guitar really does something for me, that’s usually the deciding factor.

15. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Afflicted

4 new guitars over the last 25 years - Samick bass 1995, Monterey acoustic 2005, Ibanez RG450DX 2016, and Artist HSS 2018...

All but the most recent has been sold off.

16. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

Of the 8 guitars I currently own, two were bought used and one came in a trade. All of my previously owned guitars are like new. I like buying new and breaking in a guitar. I wouldn't own a relic if you gave it to me. I treat my guitars like they are collectable, and when my time comes, I want the next owner to feel like they got the guitar new.

17. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I have 7 guitars that are custom made. Each of the teles were made according to my preferences. Two were made not specifically for me, but were in the builder's shop, ready to be bought. But no previous owner, aside from Bob Logan, who built them.

Three of my acoustics were probably in the store for a while before I bought them, two of which were great deals because they were discontinued models. So I don't know how "factory new" they were, but no previous owners.

I've bought used guitars in the past that I no longer have, but several in my current guitarsenal I bought used.

So I guess I've bought new more times than not, but it really depends on the guitar, the application and the deal as to whether or not I'll buy used.

18. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Afflicted

Looks like I'm about fifty/fifty new versus used.
    This past year i bought 13 guitars. Seven new, six used.
    I live in the middle of nowhere. so all purchases are online.

19. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Mostly new guitars, although my best built guitar was an old used Yamaha. Mostly new amps too, but my best amp was a Fender purchased used. Almost all used pedals though, mainly because I can flip them for little to no loss.

Never purchased a used pick or used strings though.:D

20. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

Same answer as the Fender...

Last new guitar was my Fender Tele in 1988

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.