1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Who buys new guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by CapnCrunch, Dec 2, 2020.

1. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I buy new guitars, occasionally.
    I bought a brand new Epiphone Johnny A model a year or so ago.
    I also bought a brand new Guild Starfire a while ago.
    I did not bond with either, BTW.
    I buy gently used stuff most of the time, generally.

Fiesta Red and CapnCrunch like this.
  2. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Now that I think of it, I bought a 65 DRRI new, and that is the only amp I've bought new. I've got 7 tube amps, I think. Of the amps that I have now, 0 were bought new. Self awareness......I had never thought about my predilection to buy used before. I'm a die hard DIYer so I've built a lot of my guitars and amps. @JuneauMike has an awesome avatar. My wife and kids call me Ron Swanson, because he had the line "buying stuff is for suckers" and for telling the guy working at the Home Improvement Store "I know more than you". I never actually say that, but my family really likes to rib me about my personality disorders.........

Fiesta Red likes this.
  3. CapnCrunch

After thinking about the posts that bring up the point that buying used is difficult in some places. I guess I'm really thankful that I live near Seattle (thankfully not in Seattle) and not far from Portland. Between those markets, there is a lot of used gear on Craigslist. If I were living in rural New Mexico, or Montana or other rural locale, my buying record might be very different.

4. TeleinTX

TeleinTX Tele-Meister

Folks either loved or hated them. I fall in the first category. The slightly wider, flatter neck fits perfectly for me. Makes ergonomic motions better, less wrist fatigue especially playing barre chords, both standing and sitting......I just realized Barre chords and Martin Barre are spelled the same way. Funny how life is...Cheers

5. Twin52

Twin52 Tele-Meister

In maybe 40 years, I think I bought 3 or 4 out of 15 to 20 brand new. Nothing wrong with new, and the warranty is important, it’s just a lot more expensive. I’m not buying that many brand new cars either. You save a lot of money certified Pre owned... Bought a Pre owned high quality watch too as a retirement present. There is a big market there too by the way, with associated forums. They all work just fine.

6. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

I bought the 65 DRRI as well. The last amp you would ever need. But of course, I want more.

CapnCrunch likes this.
  7. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

I don't think I've ever bought a new electric guitar, but my current acoustic I got new (I traded a Squier Strat towards it, bargain...) 15 years ago.

Most of the amps that have passed through my hands over the years were not new, but my current one (Boss Katana) I did buy new.

I'm likely to get a new electric guitar on retirement, because for the first time in my life I'll be able to afford a decent one, probably. Although I'm already dreading the 'option-paralysis' that will no doubt twist me up...

8. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

And just like that the Internet makes me a liar. $1,000 (obo!) seems awful fair for this American Standard Tele LE with painted headstock and good lord that color. Not sure I want to drive an hour-plus north with the white stuff on the roads, but this is extremely tempting.

https://santafe.craigslist.org/msg/d/taos-ski-valley-limited-edition/7238769988.html

rockymtnguitar and CapnCrunch like this.
  9. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

I guess me, I bought two new guitars this year and many more used.

This year was the first time in many years that I bought a new guitar(s). I still prefer buying used, but bought two new guitars online this year, because I couldn’t find these specific models used locally.

My latest new guitar (still in transit) a new 2020 Fender American Performer Telecaster in Sonic Blue and with a Rosewood neck.

B2CA1FC8-2BC2-4CE0-8076-8A9E9EBB0815.jpeg

Alex_C and buster poser like this.
  10. CapnCrunch

Don't we all? It's kind of the human condition. I love the line from the Sheryl Crowe song. "It's not about having what you want, its about wanting what you have." That may be a bit of a paraphrase but I think about that often.

I sold my DRRI about 3 months ago, after owning it for 20+ years. Used the money to buy a used mixer for my PA.

11. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I buy mostly used. But I have bought new where, with the obligatory discount, the price is within a decent range of the used market price and I really like the item.

Clearances are also good opportunities as are unadvertised sales. I picked up a new LP Jr. Original Series for $1k at GC early this year just by asking what the price was out the door. I called another GC near me and they were offering same deal. Damndest thing b/c it wasn't advertised. But the deals are out there.

12. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I've bought both. At one time I would only buy used as I could get a better deal on them. Now I've got both and my stable hasn't changed in over a year and a half.

13. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

When I buy new it's because I've found exactly what I want, and it's something I haven't found used. I've bought a little over three quarters of my guitars new, but a couple of my favorites are used. I have no prejudice, it's really a matter of selection.

14. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Yes to new, yes to used and yes to built - from parts -(which I guess is new, but I think deserves a separate category). And what do I say about the Tele in my avatar. It was owned by the shop for about 4 years before I bought it. I guess, at that point it was sort of new old stock....LOL.

15. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Holic

I have had most of my guitars for 10-25 years. I did pick up a new Eastman E10ss/v about 2 years ago. In my older age, I am enjoying the short scale dred.

16. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

Mostly build guitars out of kits or used but I have two Carvin/Kiesels that I bought new.

17. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Yes, generally when I can't find what I'm looking for on the used market.

18. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

I got ya friend . This is a first world righty problem . There are a few lefty friendly stores in the States where you can find a quality lefty , but you need to live close by to try before you fly .

tubelectron likes this.
  19. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Most of my guitars have been bought new. I only have three, and the standout that I bought used is a 2011 Martin OM28 Marquis that I bought in 2014. I didn't go looking for that guitar, it "came to me". I had a Martin 00028 that had a defect in the finish, it was covered under warranty. It was sent back to Martin for repair, and because I had it for such a short period of time, the store gave me a loaner, which happened to be the OM28. It was no contest. I knew I'd be keeping the OM28 and pay the difference.

The two electrics that I have were both bought new: a 2011 Fender Custom Shop Strat Deluxe and a 2019 Gibson 60th Anniversary Custom Shop R9. All of the guitars that I have had in the past, going back forty years, were all purchased new. Maybe it just came down to timing, and what was available at the time I decided to buy?

For the CS Strat, I was in the market, and walked into a local store, and I picked it up, and the neck had me immediately. It didn't hurt that it was marked down about $500. When I took it off the rack, I was not aware it was a custom shop product. As for the Gibson R9, I've had a couple, and in each case I read up on them as the history at Gibson and their manufacturing has been sketchy. I heard about the 60th anniversary models from Mark Bishop, the owner of Mark's Guitar Loft. He told me that they were the most accurate recreations of the 59' that Gibson had ever done. He said the people at Gibson finally listened to the experts and got it right. I went to check one out, and it was love at first site. I'd gladly buy used, if I found one I liked.

20. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

No partscasters count? Plenty of new partscasters.

tubelectron likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.