1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Who buys new guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by CapnCrunch, Dec 2, 2020.

1. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

All of ours are new. When I bought the Tele in '06 it was a great value and still is. I didn't know enough about them to be comfortable buying a used one.

The others we've bought since moving, and while I look at CL and FB marketplace every day, the market's small around here and people think asking full retail for used gear is standard. I guess there's enough dumb people with money to keep that going, but I've never seen a guitar locally that I would consider a good deal (except the Jaguar that came up the week after I bought mine).

I dunno... I'm always a little uncomfortable in negotiations around money and don't haggle as a general rule.

2. Goldenshellback

Goldenshellback Tele-Meister

I buy new guitars. I grew up dirt poor and everything I had was hand-me-downs. I worked all my life and saved and invested and when I retired I am in a very comfortable financial position. So when I purchase I purchase new.

3. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

The last new guitars I bought were back in 2012 when the Squier Vintage Modified offsets were released. They were new so you couldn't buy used, and for $240 ($300 retail, less the then-ubiquitous 20% discount at MF) I wasn't complaining. Got a Jazzmaster and a Jaguar. Sold the Jag when I got a Johnny Marr, the Jazzmaster isn't going anywhere.

4. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

All 8 of mine were purchased new, like my cars, and my wife

5. TeleinTX

TeleinTX Tele-Meister

Never bought a new guitar from a dealer per se, but bought/traded several basically new axes that were acquired by others and for whatever reason, they didn't want them. Same with amps, except for a Blackstar HT50 head. I always try to buy cables, mics, studio preamps/channel strips and other gear new from vendors, especially if they come bundled with software. I don't mind used FX pedals, especially if they've been modded for the better (es: Analog Man). As of now I have 25 total guitars/basses in the studio, and one lent out, and I keep promising myself I don't want/need any...more...must....remain....vigilant..G.A.S....kicking in. Preamp tubes that are NOS from the '50's-'60's are highly coveted for guitar and mic preamps. Cheers

6. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

If it's something like this I go cash up front for both the guitar and the mods to follow.
    [​IMG]

If it's more than I want to do up front I'm at GC for 48 months no interest but I pay it off in 12 months.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  7. TeleinTX

TeleinTX Tele-Meister

I take that back. In 2017 I was at Sam Ash one day at the end of the year and they had just put out their remaining NOS Gibson 2015 Les Pauls/SG's that didn't sell, due to guitarists not liking the G-Force robo-tuner, Les Paul's shaky signature and that Les Paul hologram on the headstock. So, technically it was "new" but hadn't sold in 2 years. I picked it up for half-off list with those great OHSC's and all the case candy. I love everything about that Les Paul Less+. The reduced weight, the tone, split-coil PU's, Desert Burst finish, and the G-Force where I can get to drop D or DADGAD and other keys with a couple of button pushes. I like the new technology....I still don't see why LP records are being sold again....Digital is so much better of a listening experience than a scratchy album, though reel to reel tape is still great with the right mix of audiophile analog/digital gear.

http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/USA/Les-Paul-Less-Plus.aspx

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  8. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Ochanomizu has some great used shops, some with inexpensive-but-quality stuff. When you say "no used market," do you mean for selling or buying? Because, I could go broke very quickly buying used in Ochanomizu!

9. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

In 30+ years, I’ve only bought two new guitars—and one of those was a deeply discounted demo/floor unit of a discontinued model that had been in the store for six years, so I’m not even sure if that counts.

I’m not necessarily against buying new guitars, I just generally let someone else take the depreciation hit for me.

I’ve only bought one new amp in that timeframe, too.

I guess I make up for it by buying only new harmonicas...o_O

CapnCrunch likes this.
  10. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Mostly used, but I did buy three new Gibsons in the last several years.

11. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

What I hated about the 2015s wasn't the fanciness and modern features, it was the uncomfortable plank like, necks.

TeleinTX likes this.
  12. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

Seems someone likes it jangly. I need a Gretsch.

CapnCrunch likes this.
  13. Monte Allums

Monte Allums TDPRI Member

I haven't bought a name brand new guitar in 25 years. I buy used and customize and or buy parts and build my own. There's not a Strat or Tele made I would pay $1000 for. And I don't buy Vintage guitars. I buy and build guitars to play not to invest in or look at.

Fiesta Red, CapnCrunch and Beachbum like this.
  14. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

I have gone through streaks where I mostly bought new or used.

It seems that mostly the ones I bought new have stuck around, or at least get played more.

Of the three electrics, two acoustics, and one mandolin that get the most use, only one of the acoustics was bought used.

My late wife once tried to talk me into a very nice used mandolin. It was probably the best instrument I've ever played.

But, even though she was buying it, it was still at least sort of my money. And I wouldn't have spent that much money on any instrument. :)

15. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Some people are at a point in their playing they need to try things and live in towns where shops just don't sell used

I used to buy new mostly, but now tend to buy used. I know what I want and don't get caught up on avoiding retail. I bought a Martin M36 retail this year, knowing I wasn't going to find one elsewhere

obvs it would be nice to buy a mint used one 40 percent cheaper but they are none and some people don't have space in life to search or wait

CapnCrunch likes this.
  16. hnryclay

hnryclay Tele-Meister

First guitar I ever bought was a new Epiphone Les Paul Studio in 1996, I then bought a new Epiphone cheap plywood accustic in the early 2000s, and recently bought a new Guild accustic. All the rest of my guitars are some sort of used condtition. I tend to buy year or so old used guitars from the local shop. They get great trade ins, and are honest. This year I have purchased a 2018 American Pro Strat, and a 2019 Gibson Les Paul hollow body from them. I also really like vintage guitars, and honestly part of the reason I do is that you cant just order them from Guitar Center etc... Those types of gutairs are the bulk of my collection, and are still fairly affordable from the local store where I live.

17. g-Paul

g-Paul Tele-Holic

Mostly used, but I have bought a few new if I can find something I like on sale. I get a lot of Long & McQuade gift cards for birthdays and Christmas, so I've used those on new instruments. I bought a new P-Bass with gift card $$$.

18. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I buy mostly used, but I have also purchased brand new guitars as well.

I love 'em all.

:)

CapnCrunch likes this.
  19. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

New, but cheap; I think the most I've spent on a guitar in the last 30+ years is under $400 for an Epi SG that I hastily traded in a couple of years later. Most I've ever spent was on an American Strat in the early '90's, after I returned a Mustang under warranty with a bridge that I busted and spent an extra $150 to get the Strat.

CapnCrunch likes this.
  20. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

I bought a new Gretchen Eddie Cochran when they came out because new and used were about the same price. I’m on the wait list for a Brent Mason Tele, because you can’t buy them used. I’ve bought a couple of Doc Fisher guitars new, because he builds them to spec. Other than that, if I can find used and save money, I do.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.