1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Who buys new guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by CapnCrunch, Dec 2, 2020.

1. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I buy new, but cheap. For example, I bought a Musician's Friend SDOTD Rogue acoustic earlier this year for $54. Before that, the most recent new purchases were in 2015, a couple SX's from Rondo Music. And, I also got a new Epiphone SG Special as a gift.

But, in general, I usually buy parts or used.

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Until thinking over your question just now, I would have responded "Almost never!".......but mulling it over, I recall buying quite a few new. My first electric, a Kent Americana in about 1965, was new at Ault's Music Store. Then around 1969 I bought my 1960 Les Paul Jr, and that was my sole electric until the early nineties. But in between, I bought several new acoustics, and in the eighties and early nineties, I went "pawn shop crazy". But when my house was burglarized in 1994, and I lost a BUNCH of electric guitars and basses, I mostly bought new to replace them quickly. Since then, I've bought mostly new on the interwebnet. Does my partscaster I built from mostly new parts count? ;)

JL_LI and CapnCrunch like this.
  3. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

I have bought new guitars (electric, bass and acoustic), new mandolin, new banjo, new uke and a couple of new amplifiers over the years. Numerous new guitar pedals as well. In my earlier years it was mostly used instruments. But once I was established I thought nothing of buying a new instrument having never played it. Currently I am way more interested in partscasters because selecting the parts I want and assembling is more fun than plunking down a wad of cash for something that I "almost love." If not for that, I'm sure I'd be window shopping right now. It would probably be something from the Gretsch line (which I think is still Fender).

And remember, every single day there is probably a ton of kids who are just starting out on a stringed instrument. I'd assume a good portion of them are getting new instruments from a local guitar shop or an online seller. Fender guitars are great for that. If you were a kid lucky enough to have your parents indulging your new hobby, there's a good chance that it started with one of those combo packs that included a Squier guitar and a small Fender amp. The ones who stick with the hobby will probably look at a Fender guitar as an upgrade eventually. And the circle of life continues ...

CapnCrunch likes this.
  4. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

Currently used instruments are waaay overpriced.
    In this current situation I would consider buying new.

I've only ever bought one guitar new. My current herd is all 2nd hand.

5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Hundreds used.

less than 5 new in 35+ years.

just ain’t wired that way .

StrangerNY likes this.
  6. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

I buy new or used. It depends mostly on how much I want the guitar, how well I like the particular guitar in question, and how much it costs. In other words, it's case by case with me. (And, as I own 25 guitars and basses, that's a lot of cases, or maybe I'm the head case -- Who knows! ;) :D

P Thought likes this.
  7. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

I mostly buy new. I’m afraid to buy an expensive used guitar, and I like the new guitar smell.

18 guitars
    12 new
    6 used

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    Rockinvet likes this.
  8. shallbe

shallbe TDPRI Member

Not in the last 15 years. I keep my eyes open for great used instruments.

Rockinvet and Harry Styron like this.
  9. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

beginners, or people with too much money.

beyer160 likes this.
  10. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Cool topic.

My first two guitars I bought new. After that they're all bought used or home built.

JL_LI likes this.
  11. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

I bought a couple of used guitars last year with good luck...but lately, I've bought new because the price is at or lower than a particular model used.

Of the two dozen :eek: stringed instruments I own...one is a Fender which I purchased used.

12. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Honestly, Missus Marshman has bought quite a few new guitars, but the only one I ever bought was an MIJ fretless Jazz bass back @ 1990.

But I have several acoustics, an acoustic bass and a gorgeous Les Paul Classic that were all gifted to me by my honey. And at least one really nice amp.

13. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Wow! Three of those guitars on my wish-list.

Sotakoira Musti likes this.
  14. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Slightly south and east of where I wannabe
    Guilty, here, only when absolutely necessary. Sound of head scratching. When compulsion explodes into irrevocable action.

Speaking of which, this just came, a few hours ago. Sherwood Green.
    IMG_20201202_151357.jpg
    Rather flamey neck.
    IMG_20201202_151510.jpg

Rockinvet, carpenter and CapnCrunch like this.
  15. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

None of the guitars I currently have were purchased new. Thinking back, the last time I bought a brand new guitar, it was a Peavey from a local music store.

16. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I buy both new and used, but probably a lot more new, because there are few used ones I want in these parts. When I worked at a store, they were a Gibson and Epiphone dealer, so I would buy new Epis, and if they got in a used Fender I liked, then I would buy it, but they weren't a Fender dealer, so most of my purchases were from the competition, lol. The best deals I got were all the free Epis I got over the years from the now defunct Epi rewards program.

17. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Exactly my take. Of the 8 guitars and 2 basses I have, I bought 3 new and the rest used. Those I bought new were unavailable on the used market and/or a bargain or special offer therefore close to used in price. I used to buy new more often, but have somehow managed to sell those I had to without big losses.

I tend to buy used, but if I see a guitar I want at a good price, new, I have no qualms buying it ;D

Jakedog likes this.
  18. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

I like to build my own, and I have 5 different bodies awaiting necks right now. I have 4 necks that are 90% done in my guitar closet. I don't need a half dozen more guitars though. I buy effects new, or used, but am not afraid to buy new. I just never even think of buying a new guitar. The only new guitar that sort of tempts me at all is the Epiphone Bonamassa Firebird. Other than that, nothing on the current market makes me want to pay full bore retail.

19. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

In the present (and foreseeable) environment, I won't be buying/selling on the private/used market... I need to test play a guitar before I buy it, and certainly won't have anyone come to my place to check out any of my gear!
    GAS is pretty well a thing of the past for me -- I pretty well know what I want/need at this point The one new item I am looking at right now is the Epiphone 1959 Les Paul Standard Outfit, once I find the 'right' one (i.e., that weighs less than a boat anchor).

epiphone-1959-les-paul-standard-outfit.jpg
    Hopefully, that chosen one is due to arrive at my local brick & mortar store this weekend. If is the one, I'll trade in one of my guitars along with some Canadian pesos. I've known the manager a long time and get roughly 70% of what he will sell it for, along with a tax credit (14%) on the new one. MUCH safer to me than dealing in the current private market.

20. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

Everywhere I’ve lived has either had essentially no used instrument market or one that’s not so favourable / navigable. For me, it’s always been a case of dealing with whatever has been available. I’d rather spend less, given the opportunity.

Over almost 40 years, I’ve only ever owned six electric instruments, five guitars and one bass. They alternated new / used from the get go. So, three new, three used.

I gave the first one away, but have the rest. The second one is lying under someone’s bed in another country. I get to visit it occasionally.

So, currently, three guitars and a bass are what I consider myself to have. That’s typically how I’d answer if someone asked. Still places me in the 50/50 & alternating new/used camp.

I do also have one cheap acoustic that out of necessity I bought new. I guess I technically also own my children’s undersized acoustic and ukulele, both of which were very cheap new.

Pax/
    Dean

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.