1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Who buys new guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by CapnCrunch, Dec 2, 2020.

1. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

I read a thread today about not buying a Fender guitar in the last 5 or 6 years. It made me think about my own guitar purchases and I realized that I have never bought a factory new guitar. I have 14 or 15 electric guitars, 5 acoustic guitars, 2 mandolins, and a tenor banjo and none of them were bought new by me.

I inherited about half of the above number from my dad who purchased a few new. Anyway, it made me think, how many of you buy new guitars and who are you. What is your reasoning? I'm curious because I don't see myself ever buying a factory new guitar. I have too many to play already, but even if I didn't, I just don't buy new and don't think I ever will.

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I dont much. The last officially new one was 2004, it didnt turn out well. Prior to that a '99 EC Strat was bought new.

But two I have bought in the last 5 years were "NOS but several years old" Gretsch and a G Benson Ibanez.

3. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

I have bought new and used through the years. New: Fender Telecaster 1983, Heritage Prospect 2000, Gibson Melody Maker 2002, Gibson Hummingbird 2003. Only the Hummingbird is still with me.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  4. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

I have bought Squiers and a few other brands new. Never a Fender. In fact , I only own one Fender these days.Never use it...

5. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I buy new. I’ve bought three new instruments this year, all brand new. A Les Paul, a Cole Clark acoustic, and a Jackson bass.

I don’t always buy new. I’ll definitely buy a used guitar, and have more often than not. But I have no issues buying a new one if I find the one I want and I can afford it.

6. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

I do: my first few guitars were secondhand but in the last few years I’ve bought new. All the guitars on my rack were bought new: only my lap steel was second hand.
    I’m thinking craaaaazy thoughts of buying a Rickenbacker 12-string now... that will almost certainly be secondhand.

7. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

In the last 25 years I've purchased three guitars new: my first guitar, a Squier Bullet Strat, my fourth guitar, a Stevie Ray Vaughan signature strat, and my seventh guitar, an Ibanez SA260. I've had plenty of other guitars between and since, that have all been used. I have no inclination either way, but I do have a new Tele (Vintera 50's Modified) and a Tele-styled 8-string (Jericho Fusion-8) on my wish list. If I could find the Jericho used, I would go that route, but 8-string guitars aren't for sale used like 6-stringers are. I wouldn't mind finding that Vintera used either. It's just gonna be where I find the best price when I have the money.

8. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Hadn't for many years, and then just bought three brand new ones since March: An Epi 339, a Player Series Mustang Bass, and I just received a brand spanking new Olympic White Deluxe Roadhouse Strat last week.

1 21 gigawatts likes this.
  9. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

As I am Lefty, and as the used LH marked is shallow - but fortunately growing like the offer in new LH models - I bought several factory new instruments - 5 or 6 - de facto.

[​IMG]

-tbln.

Dismalhead likes this.
  10. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

I haven't bought a guitar in a while, but I often buy new. My local place used to have sales better than used pricing so I often bought them there.

11. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

4 or 5 used everything else was new.
    I’m looking at a LP Standard 50s new

12. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I'm open to all options. If I target a particular model, I'll go new or used based on the individual guitars that I get to play.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  13. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Holic

Been awhile but of about 50 3 were bought new. Godin Session Custom Triple Play. An Agile Interceptor Pro 625 EMGFR and some goofy Backlund M100 that wasnt even in production when I bought it. Had to wait 5 months for it.

14. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Holic

My only second hand guitar is Rickenbacker 360C63/12. And yes, I’m as dumb as a dodo.

058AE049-04CB-4AB7-B1EA-B3EAF3E9B7ED.jpeg

Edit: stupid me, this one was also bought used. 1997 325V59 MG

1DF57FB4-A65B-4E8F-8411-D3E1A9A7403B.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    Flaneur, AAT65, Cali Dude and 4 others like this.
  15. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I rarely have bought used. I have to play a used guitar. I never would buy one that was modified.
    I prefer new.
    Plus, people are asking too much for used instruments.

P Thought likes this.
  16. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

My very first two were purchased new at 18-19 years old (acoustic + 5 string banjo). I have neither of them anymore, and I don’t think I’ve bought a new guitar in the last 22 years.

17. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I currently have 4 that I bought used,6 that I bought new and 1 built from parts new and used. My last 2 this year were new

18. ADinNYC

ADinNYC Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Bought a new Martin about ten years ago. Thanks for bringing it up....I think I'm overdue! Hmm....what shall I buy?

Jared Purdy likes this.
  19. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

In the last several years I have bought two new guitars: Both acoustic, both Blueridge brand. I did that after extensively trying many, many acoustic guitars to find something with the right combination of sound and price.
    I haven't bought a new electric guitar since, I guess, the 90s, but I have put together several partscasters and I'm soon going to finish up another partscaster - that will be made from all new parts, so I'd call it a new guitar.
    I would say I've probably bought 10 used guitars for every 1 new one in my life.

20. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I don't own a lot of guitars now but they've always been brand new with the exception of the 2018 SG I bought this year which is fantastic and I think it was barely played

I'm always sort of looking for a third cheap acoustic or maybe a nylon string guitar with a pickup I'd be fine with either of those being used so long as they're not expensive

I have bought amplifiers new and used and of course pedals

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.