Who Bought Something Because of The Quarantine? If So, What?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by guitarist232345, Mar 22, 2020.

Did the quarantine make you buy something you wouldn't have bought otherwise?

1. Yes

128 vote(s)
    43.4%
  2. No

121 vote(s)
    41.0%
  3. I have my eye on something that I want even more due to quarantine

46 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

We maintain a month of stock of just about everything, so we have kept to normal purchases. I can say from personal observation that there are easily double the number of cars at the liquor & 420 stores at any given time, though.

2. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

I sold a Bassman 59 LTD and got a Marshall Origin 50 head and a 1922 cab

3. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

Not yet, but I just got paid for some work I did and I've got the hots for a tube amp. Not much money, so I'm looking at the Crate V series and Bugera Infiniums.

I really don't need another amp, but I don't have a tube amp and I feel it's my responsibility to understand what everyone's talking about with regard to the superiority of tubes. And, when we can start playing together again, the gang will be really impressed with how much better I sound.

GreatDaneRock and Fendereedo like this.
  4. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Afflicted

Mimmo - you're in my thoughts and prayers may God keep you safe and your GAS in check;)

RichCuellarPDX, Jason_, mimmo and 3 others like this.
  5. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

No, not "something I wouldn't have bought otherwise", but still during this time. A friend bought my '60's Baja Tele last week, so I just had to go pick this American Performer HUM the other day. This, and a bottle of Eagle Rare bourbon, you know, just in case.....

upload_2020-3-22_9-58-35.png
    upload_2020-3-22_10-0-22.png

6. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I'm stocking up with groceries again tomorrow with any luck. If I manage that one, then I need some strings, but that is going to be my extravagance over with.

7. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Toilet paper. :lol:

8. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

From a pair of Wellingtons! :D

Fendereedo likes this.
  9. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

FWIW, I patrol the GC used section pretty regularly. For quite some time, their total inventory of used gear has hovered around 50,000 pieces. About a week ago it started to drop, and now it's at 28,705- roughly 40% lower than normal. Loads of stuff that I've been seeing on there week after week is gone now. It looks like people are buying toys to keep themselves amused in isolation.

I've seen the exact opposite: lots of new CL and FB used gear postings, but at unrealistically high prices- people are either deluded or just going fishing for suckers. I suppose as time marches on we'll start seeing desperation sales, but I haven't seen much of that yet. It's still early days, though.

Like, seriously...

Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 11.00.18 AM.png

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  10. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'm thinking about buying parts and building a quarantine guitar...

Otherwise, I bought two guitars at the turn of the year, so GAS has subsided for the time being.

- D

11. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

I picked up a pair of SM-57 mics. Needed them in the long run, but really only pulled the trigger out of boredom and the significantly increased phone time of late.

Next move is to sell a couple of pieces of my drum kit to fund the next project, which is to mic my kit, record individual sound samples of my drums to use for sampling into home recordings. Ultimately, hoping to pick up a drum machine that can play back these samples to use for on the fly programming to record with, and to plug into the PA at my jam space so my brother and I can both play guitars at the same time (otherwise, I end up drumming a lot).

This probably won’t be a reality until next year. So yeah, I jumped the gun.

12. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

NOPE!
    I have a real history of F***ing up with money. Plus when I've had some spare before, but really should have not spent ( say on gear), I did, and it bites you later.

Coronavirus has 'given me religion'- gonna try to be responsible, hold on to what little we have.

13. DaveGo

DaveGo Tele-Meister

That and binge watching every episode of Thunderbirds Are Go will immunize you for sure!

14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

No not really but I did give @muchxs some broken amps to fix which is in a way getting new stuff.
    The wanting is coming up a little but to prevent it from becoming GAS I just don't shop!

15. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

Got my eye on a custom shop LP junior double cut. Not that I think high end Gibsons are worth it, but I have money that's burning a hole in my pocket!

16. zumzool

zumzool TDPRI Member

I bought a fender broadcaster at a great deal. The shop had a few of them and I think they were looking to Reduce their inventory and get more liquid assets to pay workers with this uncertainty. Might not be the smartest move, but at least I’m helping someone out.

17. Boogie

Boogie Tele-Meister

I am GASsing hard for a Suhr Classic T, but holding off on major purchases wondering if I'm still going to have a job after this is over.

Probably won't by the Suhr, but a set of VDrums instead.

18. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

got my new miter saw in anticipation of being able to do woodwork, all new blades for all my tools. bought some guitar parts to put a guitar together (a coodercaster on a tele) we decided on a bunch of guinness and harp lager to make a black and tan every day... a new bottle of bushmills

19. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

I haven't bought any gear for the quarantine, I just don't need anything right now. However, I would love to buy an Epiphone Viola bass. I am not overstocking groceries or supplies at this time.

20. oatsoda

oatsoda Tele-Holic

Not me really, but as internet is sketchy where we live, wife ordered a handful of classic movies on DVD. Should make for some quality snuggling on the love seat.

Almost feels like spring in NS, and every spring I have to fight the strong urge to buy another motorcycle. This year I've been doing a lot of thinking about a stripped down, small CC roadrunner, maybe in the 250 - 450 range. Just watched this little vid called the Racer, (why do I torture myself?).

NS has thousands of miles of twisty hilly sun dappled roads, perfect for little corner carvers, just watch out for those pesky deer!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.